PDA

View Full Version : Weapons Search @ Mid State Fair

choprzrul
07-28-2010, 4:05 PM
My wife just called from Paso Robles. She stopped to go into the Mid State fair to grab a corn dog and a lemonade. They stopped her at the gate and demanded to search her purse. They told her that they were doing weapons searches. She got instantly infuriated at the intrusion and nearly turned around and left, but instead she did a quick flash and told them that was all they were going to see. They let her in. I asked her if any males were being searched for weapons and she said no. We were at the fair in Santa Maria a week ago and they didn't search us there, so what gives with SLO county???

1. When did they start demanding searches to get into the county fairgrounds?

2. How can they legally search women's purses for weapons and yet let guys just walk through?

3. Is this even legal?

4. What if a person is legally CCWing with a purse holster? Since the people at the gate are not LE, revealing the firearm would be a violation of the CCW?

I am really thinking about setting up a situation and recording it. Send in my wife again with her purse and a male behind her with a fanny pack. Video all of it from across the street. This kind of blatant 4th amendment violation stuff makes my blood boil.

What is going to happen when 'shall issue' comes to CA and you and I encounter this type of situation? Are we to leave our firearms in the car just to go to the fair? How can the fairgrounds be considered a sensitive area?

Much confusion and anger, please give me some insight.

TimRB
07-28-2010, 5:00 PM
I can offer no insight, but I can tell you they've been doing the same thing at the Santa Cruz county fair for years. In Hawaii a couple years ago they made us pass through metal detectors before we were allowed aboard one of those tourist sunset dinner cruise boats. I am not making this up--I don't know who is.

Tim

johnny_22
07-28-2010, 5:08 PM
Animal Kingdom at Disney World did the same thing; search the wife's purse, not the man. Also, the Asian Art Museum in SF searched my wife's purse, but, did not even ask me to unzip my windbreaker.

CSACANNONEER
07-28-2010, 5:14 PM
Things must have change since I used to go there. IIRC, there was ALWAYS at least one LEO at the gate. If there had not been, I never would have been able to just drive a motorcyle through the gates. It was always a SLOSD officer who would wave me through. That said, like anything else, the fair is a bussiness and a bussiness should have the right to be run anyway the bussiness owner sees fit. Of course, potential customers have the right not to patronize a bussiness if they don't like the bussiness practices.

craneman
07-28-2010, 5:25 PM
I know how she feels. San Diego County Fair had metal detectors and rent-a-cops searching every bag and person coming in this year. Just like the airport, no pocket knives even. Heck I thought the fair was by nature supposed to be agricultural. I grew up on a cattle ranch, and I can say with complete honesty that no self respecting rancher or farmer goes ANYWHERE without at least a pocketknife.

choprzrul
07-28-2010, 5:30 PM
Things must have change since I used to go there. IIRC, there was ALWAYS at least one LEO at the gate. If there had not been, I never would have been able to just drive a motorcyle through the gates. It was always a SLOSD officer who would wave me through. That said, like anything else, the fair is a bussiness and a bussiness should have the right to be run anyway the bussiness owner sees fit. Of course, potential customers have the right not to patronize a bussiness if they don't like the bussiness practices.

Not so sure that it is a business, but rather a state agency:

Food and Agriculture, Department of 16th District Agricultural Association (California Mid-State Fair-Paso Robles)

Taken from http://www.pd.dgs.ca.gov/smbus/allstateagenciesdepts.htm

So again I ask, if my wife held a valid CCW permit and had a purse holster; what would be the option? If womens purses are searched, but a man with a fanny pack is not searched, would that not be discrimination based on gender? I am so sick of living in a police state...

Pig Rifle
07-28-2010, 5:47 PM
I grew up on a cattle ranch, and I can say with complete honesty that no self respecting rancher or farmer goes ANYWHERE without at least a pocketknife.

Ditto for us mariners. :chris:

CSACANNONEER
07-28-2010, 5:48 PM
Ditto for us mariners. :chris:

Or any MAN for that matter!

Wherryj
07-28-2010, 6:01 PM
I can offer no insight, but I can tell you they've been doing the same thing at the Santa Cruz county fair for years. In Hawaii a couple years ago they made us pass through metal detectors before we were allowed aboard one of those tourist sunset dinner cruise boats. I am not making this up--I don't know who is.

Tim

Alameda county does the cavity search/metal detector search for their county fair. I wonder why I've never felt the urge to go?

At least it's not as bad as the metal detector, full search including chemical swabbing of our 7 month old's stroller that we had to go through to get the the Statue of Liberty (ironic?) a few years back.

NightOwl
07-28-2010, 6:32 PM
I went to the Idaho State Fair last year, armed (open carry). At the entrance, the security asked to see my ID, which I denied. Insisted I needed to sign a clipboard with my info. I also denied. They called their supervisor over (took about a minute, he was on a golf cart) to the gate, who asked to see my ID, I said no, he said "have a great day at the fair" and in I went.

I miss Idaho. California could use a good dose of that, imo.

audiopro74
07-28-2010, 6:33 PM
My girl was at the state fair last night. No weapons allowed in. Searching the whole shebang. While inside she bought a knife from one of the vendors though. So I guess you cant stab someone with a knife from home, but it is ok to use one that they made a profit from....

craneman
07-28-2010, 6:41 PM
My girl was at the state fair last night. No weapons allowed in. Searching the whole shebang. While inside she bought a knife from one of the vendors though. So I guess you cant stab someone with a knife from home, but it is ok to use one that they made a profit from....

OMG, that is just downright stupid.

After I read it, it came out wrong. I wasn't calling your girl stupid. It was in reference to the stupidity of security. I am sure no one thought about the venders inside. Its kinda funny. I wish I would have thought to look at our fair for weapons for sale. I think I would have left and came back in with my reciept and caused a ruckus.

N6ATF
07-28-2010, 7:03 PM
what gives with SLO county???

It's SLO county, where they not only print the Constitution on toilet paper, the sewer mains are engraved with it. Bend over and kiss your civil liberties goodbye. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=322376)

Kynoch
07-28-2010, 7:08 PM
My wife just called from Paso Robles. She stopped to go into the Mid State fair to grab a corn dog and a lemonade. They stopped her at the gate and demanded to search her purse. They told her that they were doing weapons searches. She got instantly infuriated at the intrusion and nearly turned around and left, but instead she did a quick flash and told them that was all they were going to see. They let her in. I asked her if any males were being searched for weapons and she said no. We were at the fair in Santa Maria a week ago and they didn't search us there, so what gives with SLO county???

1. When did they start demanding searches to get into the county fairgrounds?

2. How can they legally search women's purses for weapons and yet let guys just walk through?

3. Is this even legal?

4. What if a person is legally CCWing with a purse holster? Since the people at the gate are not LE, revealing the firearm would be a violation of the CCW?

I am really thinking about setting up a situation and recording it. Send in my wife again with her purse and a male behind her with a fanny pack. Video all of it from across the street. This kind of blatant 4th amendment violation stuff makes my blood boil.

What is going to happen when 'shall issue' comes to CA and you and I encounter this type of situation? Are we to leave our firearms in the car just to go to the fair? How can the fairgrounds be considered a sensitive area?

Much confusion and anger, please give me some insight.

Are you aware (and I'm not joking around) that SLOC Sheriff-candidate Ian Parkinson is in charge of security at the Mid State Fair? For the last several summers he takes leave from SLOPD to coordinate this.

Might be a good question to ask him over at his Facebook campaign page where he has yet to answer on the Matt Hart matter: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Ian-Parkinson/113528250399?ref=ts

I suspect what they are actually doing is looking for women who sneak alcohol into the fair and they need a cover...

ZRX61
07-28-2010, 7:39 PM
The do the same thing at the Antelope Valley Fair.....can't have firearms in the fairgrounds.. & then one of the first vendors you run into is one of those photo booths where you get to play dress up... Who had an old hex receiver Mosin for people to pose with... Which I offered to buy, but we couldn't work out how the hell I'd get it OUT of the fairgrounds....So I didn't get it :(

BigDogatPlay
07-28-2010, 8:02 PM
I suspect what they are actually doing is looking for women who sneak alcohol into the fair and they need a cover...

And for women who are carrying their homey's weapons for them.....

advocatusdiaboli
07-28-2010, 8:08 PM
And for women who are carrying their homey's weapons for them.....

San Jose has had some serious gang incidents at fairs and other public gatherings. It's the times and state we live in folks and not all LEs fault--gangs are everywhere in the big populated areas and they tend to make serious trouble when they can.

choprzrul
07-28-2010, 8:37 PM
Are you aware (and I'm not joking around) that SLOC Sheriff-candidate Ian Parkinson is in charge of security at the Mid State Fair? For the last several summers he takes leave from SLOPD to coordinate this.

Might be a good question to ask him over at his Facebook campaign page where he has yet to answer on the Matt Hart matter: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Ian-Parkinson/113528250399?ref=ts

Excellent intel. Would video of women being searched while men are allowed to pass unchecked be basis for gender discrimination suit? I'm really starting to not like this Parkinson guy.

timmyb21
07-28-2010, 8:56 PM
I grew up on a cattle ranch, and I can say with complete honesty that no self respecting rancher or farmer goes ANYWHERE without at least a pocketknife.

+1. I too don't go anywhere without a pocket knife. Hell, I threw one in my wife's checked bag when we just went to Florida and left my normal carry with my brother (who drove us the the airport and picked us up). I carried it in every Disney park we went to, they never searched me. Only my wife with her purse.

RudyN
07-28-2010, 9:42 PM
I was carrying my Cold Steel Folder when I went to Marine World in Vallejo one time. They wouldn't let me in with it and I didn't want to go back a half mile to the parking lot and put it away so i stuck it in my shoe and went in the metal detector beeped and I showed them my Artificial Leg and in I went. I knew having a Prosthetic would come in handy some day. :43:

Doheny
07-28-2010, 9:45 PM
I haven't read the entire thread, so if not already mentioned, my guess is that if a guy came in with a purse, backpack or maybe a fanny pack he'd be checked too. Re: the CCW, it all depends on what their policy is. If they don't allow guns at the fair or fairgrounds, said CCW holder would be outta luck.

Re: Shall Issue, you'll find that states that do have Shall Issue actually have more restrictions on where you can carry then California does. Even if/when Shall Issue comes to CA, if the fairgrounds has a no weapons policy and (the new) CCW law prohibits carry where signs are posted, you'll need to leave the gun in the car.

bballwizard05
07-28-2010, 9:48 PM
Idk about the ccw part. But like at baseball games and such any bag that enters gets searched but people that have nothing on there person just go in. I assume the fair is just the same... although I'm surprised Santa Maria (SB county) was less intrusive than SLO county.

DragRag
07-28-2010, 9:55 PM
Idk about the ccw part. But like at baseball games and such any bag that enters gets searched but people that have nothing on there person just go in. I assume the fair is just the same... although I'm surprised Santa Maria (SB county) was less intrusive than SLO county.

Yes it is surprising since S.M. fair is much more ghetto then Mid State. Been there done all of them including Santa Barbara expo growing up in good old Nipas Ca.

kcbrown
07-28-2010, 10:10 PM
San Jose has had some serious gang incidents at fairs and other public gatherings. It's the times and state we live in folks and not all LEs fault--gangs are everywhere in the big populated areas and they tend to make serious trouble when they can.

You'd think letting law-abiding citizens in with their firearms would quickly fix that problem, but this is San Jose we're talking about, where nobody is allowed to actually carry their firearms at all except in locked containers.

Be interesting to see how/if all this changes in the next 18 months (if I'm recalling correctly, Gene said it would take 18 months at most to get real, usable, and attainable shall-issue CCW in the big metro areas).

EDIT: Gene said here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=4352431#post4352431) that 18 months from McDonald is about how long the hold-out counties will continue to hold out, but that it'll likely be at most 36 months before carry is fully decided. So I guess the "18 months" I've been referring to is actually between 18 months and 36 months.

jamesob
07-28-2010, 10:14 PM
their place, their rules.

GuyW
07-28-2010, 10:23 PM
That said, like anything else, the fair is a bussiness and a bussiness should have the right to be run anyway the bussiness owner sees fit.

In my experience, "fairs" are owned and run by special State agencies, or Counties.

tenpercentfirearms
07-28-2010, 11:05 PM
The fair is a paying venue. If you don't like their rules, don't go in or get involved in the fair planning and running process and change it.

I think the alcohol search is a most likely reason.

If you really want to test it, have a pistol in there and see what they say. They might not say a word and let her through. Then next time have a bottle of vodka and see what happens.

If security looking into your purse and sees your pistol, that is in no way brandishing and you are definitely grasping at straws.

CSACANNONEER
07-29-2010, 5:00 AM

I wonder if the traditional "after party" still happens? I volunteered at the first aid booth, for several years. After the end of the fair, we would properly dispose of all the confinscated alcohol. One of my fondest memories is waking up, still buzzed, on a first aid cot and seeing a 20 foot Spud Mc Kenzie looking down at me. It took me a minute to figure out where I was and what was going on.

greasemonkey
07-29-2010, 7:47 AM
Fresno's Fair has the City PD searching all bags and sweeping everyone with the wand metal detectors, no firearms, no pocket knives. I've heard that a Cold Steel Recon1 can be well hidden in a purse.

But I felt really safe inside the "gun free" fair, you know, since all the gang members read the no weapons policy and are playing by the rules:rolleyes:

M. D. Van Norman
07-29-2010, 8:21 AM
Weapons? I doubt it. I suspect that they’re trying to keep non-overpriced food and alcohol out of the fair.

Sinixstar
07-29-2010, 8:24 AM
The mentality behind this, is that it's a fairly common strategy for gang banger types to have females carry weapons for them in these types of scenarios - as they think the females are less likely to be searched. A group of thugged out dudes looking for a fight is more likely to draw unwanted attention.

Connor P Price
07-29-2010, 9:32 AM
Don't wanna be searched? Don't go in.

Fulgore243
07-29-2010, 11:44 AM
They're not really searching for weapons, although they say they are. They're searching for outside food and drinks so fair patrons will have to buy the $3.50 sodas and the $4 bottles of water. It's purely economic, not security-related.

Kynoch
07-29-2010, 12:02 PM
They're not really searching for weapons, although they say they are. They're searching for outside food and drinks so fair patrons will have to buy the $3.50 sodas and the $4 bottles of water. It's purely economic, not security-related.

I agree. I don't see a ton of thugged-out OG wannabees up in Paso. They wouldn't necessarily fit-in so well.

Army
07-29-2010, 4:42 PM
I attended my first SLO County Fair when I was 5 months old....Mom was heavily involved with 4-H. I attended the next 40 after that without a break.

I'm 49 now, and haven't been on the fairgrounds since 2004, when we got free tickets to Toby Keith after our first deployment. That was the ONLY reason I stepped foot in there again.

The fair has become a joke among locals that are no longer involved with 4-H or FFA. Back in the day, the fair was all about the livestock and kids. Now it's all about how much money they can make off out-of-town suckers.

Sad really.

greasemonkey
07-29-2010, 5:12 PM
I agree. I don't see a ton of thugged-out OG wannabees up in Paso. They wouldn't necessarily fit-in so well.

That's been my experience the last few times I went to the midstate fair. Fresno's a bit different, we're extra special with all the bulldogs and wannabe bangers, I believe they actually are searching for firearms/weapons here.:chris:

AJAX22
07-29-2010, 5:23 PM
I always put my knife in my boot when I went into the fair...

Iirc they would wand you a couple years back