PDA

View Full Version : Shooting spots open in the El Dorado Forest

Pthfndr
04-23-2006, 12:25 PM
For anyone looking for a place to go shooting. Well. Sorry.

ZapThyCat
04-23-2006, 1:24 PM
I really like a place over by West Point (east of Jackson) that me and buddies go to every 4th of July. Lots of fun!

How the heck are you gonna bring down a tree by shooting it?

Pthfndr
04-23-2006, 5:00 PM
How the heck are you gonna bring down a tree by shooting it?

Do you think bullets bounce off trees? You shoot enough holes into one, destroying the wood, they fall over :rolleyes:

best45auto
04-23-2006, 5:22 PM
thanks for the info. PTHFNDR

AS45-70
04-23-2006, 5:47 PM
Sly Park wow, i was their for my Grade school camping trip back in 1979 or 80.

I havent been up that direction in yrs.

Beautiful place still by looking at your pics, its a shame ppl are shooting trees and leaving cars up there.

as4570

VeryCoolCat
04-23-2006, 7:14 PM
I think shooting trees in a national forrest might constitute as a felony. vandalizing a national park...

JAFGO
04-23-2006, 9:31 PM
A shooter was supposedly killed at the last site when a tree finally gave way and fell on him when he couldn't move fast enough.

I wonder if he was shooting at the tree that killed him?

BANG! BANG! BANG!.....CRACK!.....TIMBER!!!!.....AHHHH!!!!..... .SPLAT!!!!

If he was an innocent bystander, may he R.I.P.

If he was shooting at the killer tree, well.......all I can say is :p :D

sargenv
04-23-2006, 10:43 PM
I think shooting trees in a national forrest might constitute as a felony. vandalizing a national park...

National Forest and National Parks are two different animals. Generally National Parks (at least out here) are generally contained in National forests where applicable but not the other way around. You can shoot/hunt/open carry while hiking in a National forest (ie El Dorado National Forest). You generally cannot do so in a National Park and guns generally have to be locked away and unloaded in Parks (ie Yosemite).

Vince

redneckshootist
04-24-2006, 10:19 PM
I have never shot up there but I do go to up morman immagrant road to play in the snow with my bronco since they dont plow that road:D

PLINK
04-24-2006, 10:36 PM
I have never shot up there but I do go to up morman immagrant road to play in the snow with my bronco since they dont plow that road:D

Same here but with a 85 Yota (now TJ owner). I knew there were some spots up there but never ventured off the main road to find any. We had a spot up in Forrest Hill but I have not been there in years.

To the original poster, do you have any info on the PLINK group? I heard joining them will show you some pretty sweet spots plus you can help keep them open by picking up after the slobs.

DR-G
04-24-2006, 11:43 PM
If you stop in at the Pizza Factory in Pollock Pines, tell Dan hi for me. :)

Doug

shopkeep
04-26-2006, 7:48 PM
If anyone else is up for going this weekend I'm game. Private Messenge me if you wanna head on out!

blacklisted
04-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Damn, it's so tempting to go up there.

joel1316
04-27-2006, 6:58 AM
I'll be there this Sunday.... 2+ hour drive and $3.20 a gallon for gas.... ughhhhhhh

CrazyGunner
04-27-2006, 9:21 AM
I wouldnt mind going out there this weekend but might be hard to fit it in. Do you generally see a lot of people out there or is it more isolated?

blasterboy
05-25-2006, 11:04 AM
I might have missed thread, but has anyone actually done shooting/plinking at El Dorado National Forest? I am going up in late July and will be looking for a place to safely shoot.

Josephs Dad
05-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Hi, New member here.

I just had to chime in on shooting on the Eldorado National Forest (yes, Eldorado is one word when refering to the National Forest due to a typographical error in the Washington Office about 100 years ago). I work on the Eldorado N.F. (yep, a fed) and the Forest in general is a very firearms friendly place. As for shooting places, the only restrictions are as follows:

No Shooting:

In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area,

Across or on a Forest Development road or a body of water adjacent thereto,

In any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge. (36CFR 261.10d*).

So make sure of your back stop, clean up your brass, and have fun! You can get the "official" word at the following address: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/recreation/shooting/

I'm glad I found this website........ Josephs Dad

blasterboy
05-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Josephs Dad, Thanks for the link and the info. I will look for Bonetti Road and some of the other spots that have been mentioned in Eldorado. We will camping and teaching some boys how to shoot and care for a shooting area when done. Glad I found this group on the web as well.
Tim

Shane916
05-25-2006, 1:34 PM
My father and I went yesterday. Tons of fun out there. We always pick up all our brass as well as others brass and others trash that was left there previously. I hope that shot up car is removed soon because I always see people shooting it and the backstop to that car is the road for Bonetti which people (me included) drive on. :eek:

Pthfndr
05-25-2006, 6:34 PM
My father and I went yesterday. Tons of fun out there. We always pick up all our brass as well as others brass and others trash that was left there previously. I hope that shot up car is removed soon because I always see people shooting it and the backstop to that car is the road for Bonetti which people (me included) drive on. :eek:

A month or so ago that car (the blue one?) was further in. I believe the PLINK guys dragged it to the edge hoping the Sheriffs Dept would have it hauled away.

Getting pretty nasty looking isn't it. Someone(s) had fun.

FordGabe
04-08-2009, 6:32 PM
I looked up Bonetti Rd. on google maps and it came up as being named "Capps Crossing rd.", its off of Mormon Immigrant Trail. Is that the one you guys are talking about? I live in the bay area, and a few friends and I want to head up to some National Forest this summer and do some camping and safe shooting. Is this a good area for both? Can you drive on Mormon Immigrant Trail and Bonetti/Capps Crossing rd.?

Gabe from San Jose

kakpataka
05-20-2009, 1:15 AM
I looked up Bonetti Rd. on google maps and it came up as being named "Capps Crossing rd.", its off of Mormon Immigrant Trail. Is that the one you guys are talking about? I live in the bay area, and a few friends and I want to head up to some National Forest this summer and do some camping and safe shooting. Is this a good area for both? Can you drive on Mormon Immigrant Trail and Bonetti/Capps Crossing rd.?

Gabe from San Jose

Take iron Mountain Road/Mormon Emmigrant Trail and right on Bonetti rd, did nt see the sign going east for Bonetti rd but there is a billboard thingy on the right just before Bonetti ). I believe it is also known as Capps Crossing but the road sign says Bonetti. Once your turn right on IM/MIT road, Bonetti is about 3.5 miles or so., The spot is maybe 1/2 mile to teh left. You will see a ramp for 4x on the left. that is the spot.

darkone
05-20-2009, 12:06 PM
I am going to Union Valley Reservoir next month. Is it safe to bring my OLL's and go target shooting? I would find a safe area of course. I am just trying to decide if bringing evil looking stuff is a no go with the rangers in that area.

kakpataka
05-20-2009, 3:50 PM
I am going to Union Valley Reservoir next month. Is it safe to bring my OLL's and go target shooting? I would find a safe area of course. I am just trying to decide if bringing evil looking stuff is a no go with the rangers in that area.

I believe that per certain calgunners, there are places that are ok for OLL based on their personal experience while other places may not be. I , for example, tries to get a straight answer from the Rangers & they pretty much played with the words ( in placerville). I am sure more knowledgeable members from that area can that you ar egoing to can tell you whattheir experience has been.

Pthfndr
05-22-2009, 5:50 PM

I've never had an issue with them. I've spoken with several USFS people up there, even while shooting my RAW. No problems.

Their biggest concerns are you are being safe. Good back stop, etc, and that you aren't shooting trees, and you clean up when you're done. Don't shoot stuff you can't easily pick up such as TVs, computers/monitors, glass bottles etc.

HondaMasterTech
06-07-2009, 9:17 PM
I really wish people would stop leaving trash and crap they shoot at on Bonetti. TV's, cardboard, TONS of brass, punching bags, microwaves... Its really stupid. I see green trees blown half away. Trees that are over a hundred feet tall!!!!