PDA

View Full Version : Home based FFL

jackliu239
07-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Hey guys, I saw a lot of people selling guides to get FFL from home base, have any of you guys tried this, can it work?

CSACANNONEER
07-28-2010, 11:25 AM
You don't need to buy a guide. You do need to know that it can be extremely difficult or impossible to get a home based FFL in California though. Yet, I know a member here who just got an 07FFL based out of his home inside of city limits! So, it can be done.

Turbinator
07-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Wow. I thought "kitchen table" FFL's were being phased out by the BATFE. What did the local member here do to get an 07FFL? Is his home in a non-residentially zoned area?

Turby

SJgunguy24
07-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Wow. I thought "kitchen table" FFL's were being phased out by the BATFE. What did the local member here do to get an 07FFL? Is his home in a non-residentially zoned area?

Turby

I wouldn't think the BATFE would really care too much. It's the municipalities who would piss and moan about somebody running a home based gun business.

CSACANNONEER
07-29-2010, 4:06 AM

Turby

Without going into someone else's personal bussiness too deeply, I will say that he lives in a regular city, received his 01FFL there without any hassle and the city had to come up with a new classification for him since, they could not find anything in their zoning codes which would fit his bussiness.

xonetruthcrewx
07-29-2010, 4:12 AM
I have an FFL01 out of my house, in city limits. The whole process was pretty easy if you ask me.

tenpercentfirearms
07-29-2010, 6:57 AM
The idea that the BATFE or CA DOJ cares about your license location is complete FUD. The BATFE will issue just about anyone a license anywhere. They will take your $200, issue you an FFL, and then it will be a wall decoration since you can't DROS.

The only thing that limits home based FFLs is your local business license. If your want to run DROS you must have four things for the CA DOJ to approve you.

#1 Local business license that states "For retail sale of firearms"
#2 FFL
#3 BOE Retail Sales Permit
#4 Certificate of Eligibility

Again, the bottom three are guaranteed if you fill out the forms. #1 is what is completely up to your local issuing agency. Even my conservative town of Taft does not want home based FFLs due to traffic and hours of operation issues in residential areas.

Whatever money you were going to spend on a kit, please send it as a donation to the Calguns Foundation (http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/) instead as I pretty much just summed it up for you. Thanks!

Setting up a gun business really is this simple, but it is the local issuing agency that will most times cause the stoppage.

Hkfanatic
07-29-2010, 9:07 AM
assuming there are no local zoning issues (i live in the high desert and so far my research into the firearm laws here only yeilded something about discharging in city limits.)

say i wanted to get an 07 ffl to do gunsmithing and mfg. small batches of firearms to sell as a side buisness and not sell dircetly to the public only other dealers and internet sales. i wouldent run any DROS's, does that mean that i pretty much just have to deal with the ATF? not that much DOJ involvement?

i know i would still have to get a buisness licence and a tax ID for reporting income.

what other issues could i run into?

tenpercentfirearms
07-29-2010, 9:19 AM
assuming there are no local zoning issues (i live in the high desert and so far my research into the firearm laws here only yeilded something about discharging in city limits.)

say i wanted to get an 07 ffl to do gunsmithing and mfg. small batches of firearms to sell as a side buisness and not sell dircetly to the public only other dealers and internet sales. i wouldent run any DROS's, does that mean that i pretty much just have to deal with the ATF? not that much DOJ involvement?

i know i would still have to get a buisness licence and a tax ID for reporting income.

what other issues could i run into?

I am not sure how that would work with the state. I would just get the CFD anyway just in case you wanted to DROS a gun here and there or take them home for yourself.

Call Tammy at the DOJ and ask her. (916) 263-0240. She will be more than happy to answer your question on if an 07 needs CFD if they are not DROSing. My guess is yes since you need CFD to CFLC.

JosephP
08-05-2010, 7:00 AM
Please light me up a little more.
I want to get an FFL license and planning to do the gun business.
But the first thing first... I need to get a FFL.
Is it possible to get a FFL in Los Angles even if I live in apartment?
If anybody have idea It will help me alot.
Thanks in advance.

halifax
08-05-2010, 7:14 AM
Please light me up a little more.
I want to get an FFL license and planning to do the gun business.
But the first thing first... I need to get a FFL.
Is it possible to get a FFL in Los Angles even if I live in apartment?
If anybody have idea It will help me alot.
Thanks in advance.

NO. The first thing to get is the local license. Without that you go nowhere.

JosephP
08-05-2010, 7:39 AM
NO. The first thing to get is the local license. Without that you go nowhere.

Oh... I want to get FFL first and I'm not planning to do the business in my apartment at Los Angeles.
I will get a business location out of Los Angeles area to run a gun business.
So My question was to just get a FFL... is it possible to do while I'm in Los Angeles?
Thanks. :)

halifax
08-05-2010, 8:21 AM
Oh... I want to get FFL first and I'm not planning to do the business in my apartment at Los Angeles.
I will get a business location out of Los Angeles area to run a gun business.
So My question was to just get a FFL... is it possible to do while I'm in Los Angeles?
Thanks. :)

Still think you are jumping the gun. If you apply for your 01FFL without the correct business address, you will probably have trouble when the ATF does the initial inspection of the premises.

JosephP
08-05-2010, 8:28 AM
Still think you are jumping the gun. If you apply for your 01FFL without the correct business address, you will probably have trouble when the ATF does the initial inspection of the premises.

I see....
So I need a business location first to get a FFL.
I just got confused.
Thanks for collecting me. :)
I think It's going to be hard to get the location first.:(