View Full Version : is bitdefender the best antivirus software?

07-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Is Bit Defender the best anti virues software? ANyone know what consumer reports reccomends?

07-28-2010, 11:15 AM
I use a combination of Comodo (Antivirus, firewall, and realtime protection) and Symantec Endpoint

07-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Nope, it's not. Not sure what Consumer Reports recommends (they're not exactly an authority on IT, anyway), but in my experience there's no such thing as the "best" antivirus software. There's better software and worse software, and you need to use it in combination with other software for best results. My personal list is like this:

Antivirus - F-secure, Kaspersky, TrendMicro are good. Symantec and McAfee are pretty bad. Everything else is in-between.

Antimalware - Malwarebytes and Spybot are good. Most of other mainstream antimalware software is in roughly the same league. The antimalware software bundled with antivirus or "total protection" packages is generally not in the same league, but it's better than nothing.

Personally, I use F-secure Client Security (antivirus, desktop firewall, process monitoring, antimalware (Lavasoft engine, it's ok, but not great), antirootkit (not great, but there's no great automated antirootkit software)) and the paid version of Malwarebytes (paying for it enables real-time protection).

07-28-2010, 1:21 PM
I would not trust consumer reports. Personally I've been using AVG free edition for over 5 years now and have never had any major issues with it. The few viruses that I've come in contact with AVG was able to take care of it without problems.

For spyware/malware I run a combination of Spywareblaster, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Window's Defender, along with running Firefox as my web browser. I've been running that combo for the last 3+ years and have not had major spyware/malware issues.

07-28-2010, 1:35 PM
For anti-virus, I prefer Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/) (free) and ESET NOD32 (http://www.eset.com/) (paid).

07-28-2010, 1:44 PM
kaspersky is the best anti-virus on the market IMO.

07-28-2010, 3:58 PM
avast! rocks and its free

07-29-2010, 2:07 AM

07-29-2010, 3:26 AM
the best one is the one you use, keep updated daily and scan your machine on a daily basis...

07-29-2010, 6:45 AM
I use a combination of hardware and software anti-virus.

For PC (Windows XP Pro):

Zone Alarm Security Suite which blocks software from accessing the web or making modifications (that and having a limited account for day to day activities).

Hardware: ZyXel ZyWall P1 firewall with Anti-virus scan and Intrusion detection, to scan everything before it reaches the PC.

For Macintosh (G4 10.5.x):

Intego's anti-virus and firewall: Intego (a French company) has been making anti-virus software for 10 years+. They are the leader, where Norton/Symantec gave up on Macs.

Hardware: ZyXel ZyWall 2: Content filter: Keeps my big thumbs from going to the wrong web sites. Really helps.

McAfee was the worst anti-virus software I have ever had on my PC. Came free with the Toshiba. When the year was over, it was removed, with extreme prejudice.

Also my router has the ability to block certain web sites. I use the "Evildomains" list from a ALT2600 writer, that keeps us away from those sites.

07-29-2010, 9:07 AM
If only everyone agreed with eachother.

07-29-2010, 2:33 PM
+1 for Kaspersky, been using it a long time. You wont regret it.

if you are looking for free av, Avast beats avg and avira.

07-30-2010, 6:02 PM
I have used Avast on all my computers for about 3 years now and don't have any problems.

07-30-2010, 7:02 PM
I've been an IT guy for decades and run ESET NOD32 on my computers.

07-30-2010, 7:05 PM
I have several computers and have tried most of the popular named Anti-virus software programs out there. After years of trial and error I have to say AVAST is the best out there. It is a free download on line, You will love it!

07-31-2010, 1:31 PM
I'll throw in my two cents. I'm going to assume that this is for personal use, and not for enterprise level needs for antivirus or security policy. ClamWIN is the way to go. For starters, the CLAM team is very on top of their game. It is an open source project, so there are thousands of people going through their source code and adding in new virus definitions. CLAM is also ported to almost every platform known to man. I'm sure my toaster running OpenBSD might not have one though :p

The best part about it? It's free, and it is always up to date.

08-04-2010, 2:59 AM
I use bitdefender too and I like it a lot...I also found out that it's on the second place on top ten best antivirus software (http://www.best-antivirus.co/) of 2010, after kaspersky that's on the first place. I guess we can use bitdefender with trust.

08-04-2010, 3:28 AM
Bit defender is very good, but I had networking problems with it. I would constantly get a message that not enough resources were available and such when I would try to connect to another computer on my network. I tried some registry fixes, but no luck. Their technical support (like most others) sucks. I switched to comodo and haven't had any problems since.

08-05-2010, 8:59 AM
Forget Consumer Reports, while I generally like them they are the last place I'd go for AntiVirus recommendations. Look to see what Gartner and SANS say.

08-05-2010, 9:15 AM
Educate yourself:

Myself, I run a UTM box on the edge with Untangle filtering traffic before it reaches my network. On desktops I have Eset Smart Security, purchased version of Malwarebytes (gets me the real time scanner), and spybot. The premise is to stop the threat before it breaches the castle walls. The computer with Untangle on it stops 98% of the threats. The desktop will (hopefully) stop the rest. I (knock on wood) haven't had the slightest hint of an infection in the 2 years that I have ran this setup. This includes using separate subnet off of the Untangle box to connect clients computers that have known infections.

Of note is that Malwarebytes licenses get A LOT cheaper as you start buying in volume. Also, they are currently a lifetime license rather than yearly. I have seen pricing down in the $18/computer in volume. Same with Eset.

Hope this helps.

I orginally posted this here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=4681618&postcount=23 and I stand by this advice 100% Stopping the threat at the edge of your network is always better than trying to defend every node. In no way does this exclude protection on the desktop and I agree that a combination of vendors is the best approach. I personally use Eset, Malwarebytes, and Spybot. I also include SuperAntiSpyware free version for cleaning up viruses on client computers.

The Comparitives website offers great reviews.

Grab an old computer, add another network card to it, download Untangle, burn it to disc, and install it on the old computer. Put the freeware bundle of apps on it and use it to replace your current router. Given their wiki info and user forum, you will be able to manage this software quite easily. If you have kids, this type of solution will keep them safe and is very difficult for them to circumvent.

Educate yourself and then implement.