PDA

View Full Version : Explain Build %

Donny1
07-28-2010, 10:42 AM
I see the terms 60%, 80% and so on used and I assume that relates to the % completed of the finished product. But on some posts it seems to refer to condition. I see this used in reference to AR for the most part but also with 1911's.

Please explain and break this down for me if possible in terms of what % = what.

Sorry if it's a novice type question as the term is used so often hear I feel weird for having to ask, but how else to you learn. I am new to the AR world and have only fired one but I want to become a new recruit. :D

pepsi2451
07-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Its usually the condition of a firearm. People will also talk about 80% frames or receivers which are 80% complete and not considered firearms so they can be sold without using an FFL.

ke6guj
07-28-2010, 2:25 PM
I see the terms 60%, 80% and so on used and I assume that relates to the % completed of the finished product. But on some posts it seems to refer to condition. I see this used in reference to AR for the most part but also with 1911's.correct. sometimes it means how much machine work has been done to an item, and in other context, how good the condition is. YOu just have to look at the item in question and figure out what context that %# is used in.

Please explain and break this down for me if possible in terms of what % = what.
regarding machining %, there is no real break down. For the most part, %'s are used as marketing terms. ATF does not assign a %. They only say if it is a firearm or "not a firearm". Items that are at the legal limit of "not a firearm" are usually marketed as "80%" and if they offer an item that has less work than that, they may call it 60% or 70%.