PDA

View Full Version : Ownership of "assault weapon"

xrevxoltx
04-22-2006, 11:33 PM
Hi guys, I have a question I hope hasn't been answered before. I'm thinking of giving an off-list lower to my dad, so that he in turn gives it to my little brother who is under 18. Now assume they listed the day after I gave it to him. Would he be able to register it in his name as an assault weapon or would he be SOL?

x2delight
04-22-2006, 11:35 PM
you have to be 18 to register any sort of rifle.. i beleive you can do a interfamilial transfer if nto 18

tenpercentfirearms
04-23-2006, 7:02 AM
I believe interfamial transfer is only required for handguns. Long guns you can swap back and forth between blood, immediate family all you want. However, once it gets listed, then who ever has it, registers it and then when they die it leaves the state or gets turned over to the government. So unless he turns 18 in May, it isn't looking good. However, there will always be more off list lowers for quite sometime until they plug their fissure in the dam with legislation.

xenophobe
04-23-2006, 11:10 AM
You can always try a joint registration... Have your father fill out an AW reg on the receiver and have your brother fill one out and reg it as well. It may work, and if doesn't, he'll be out $20 and all the worst they can say is no.

JS-M1A
04-23-2006, 7:12 PM
I believe interfamial transfer is only required for handguns. Long guns you can swap back and forth between blood, immediate family all you want. However, once it gets listed, then who ever has it, registers it and then when they die it leaves the state or gets turned over to the government. So unless he turns 18 in May, it isn't looking good. However, there will always be more off list lowers for quite sometime until they plug their fissure in the dam with legislation.
So if I have read this correctly I could give my cousin
or uncle a lower prior to DOJ declaring?

Mssr. Eleganté
04-23-2006, 7:58 PM
I believe interfamial transfer is only required for handguns. Long guns you can swap back and forth between blood, immediate family all you want.

This is not correct. Just like with handguns, intrafamilial transfers of long guns can only be between parent/child or grandparent/grandchild. However, with long guns no paperwork of any kind is required.

So, in theory, you could transfer a long gun to your brother or cousin by going up the family tree to get to a common parent or grandparent and then back down the family tree to get to the brother or cousin. But your intent should only be to transfer the long gun to your parent, grandparent, child or grandchild. If they decide to immediately transfer it to their parent, grandparent, child or grandchild, that is up to them.