PDA

View Full Version : LEO Contact When Legally Carrying Concealed

Paul S
07-27-2010, 10:49 PM
A good read here...I found it to be a welcome breath of fresh air from a law enforcement trainer.

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/firearms/articles/2144601-Dealing-with-citizens-legally-carrying-a-concealed-weapon/

I also recommend a perusal of the comments...most of which are supportive of licensed concealed carry. One officer always disarms the person.
I understand his motivation but his position does not seem to be universally supported by other officers.

Paul S

PsychGuy274
07-28-2010, 2:56 AM
I like.

jl123
07-28-2010, 4:16 AM
• IF THERE IS PROBABLE CAUSE to treat someone who may be carrying a concealed weapon as an armed criminal, by all means do so — however, when you make a contact with a CCW, proning them out wouldn’t be my first option without digging a little deeper

I don't like this....he should state that without probable cause, PRONING SOMEONE OUT IS ILLEGAL.

Mulay El Raisuli
07-28-2010, 4:58 AM
From the link:

I don’t know of any CCW carriers that carry a gun in the hood of their sweatshirt like felons are known to do.

Interesting! Ya learn something new every day.

The Raisuli

jaymz
07-28-2010, 5:33 AM
I would look upon it as an opportunity to work with your citizens
Your citizens? How about your fellow citizens? I don't know anybody that belongs to a cop.

Overall an okay article. He kept stating that the CCW folks are the good guys, yet the whole write up was about how to pick them out, and how to make contact once you do. How about not doing any of that? People with CCW's don't need to be ID'd or made contact with unless they are committing a crime. Something that they overwhelmingly don't do.

CALATRAVA
07-28-2010, 6:21 AM
Your citizens? How about your fellow citizens? I don't know anybody that belongs to a cop.

Overall an okay article. He kept stating that the CCW folks are the good guys, yet the whole write up was about how to pick them out, and how to make contact once you do. How about not doing any of that? People with CCW's don't need to be ID'd or made contact with unless they are committing a crime. Something that they overwhelmingly don't do.

Insert "clients", "customers", or "patrons" and the statement becomes less offensive.

"Those that you serve" is the intended meaning, i think. :)

BobB35
07-28-2010, 7:46 AM
Insert "clients", "customers", or "patrons" and the statement becomes less offensive.

"Those that you serve" is the intended meaning, i think. :)

Unfortunately in most of CA the police don't SERVE anyone except for themselves. Don't read what you see on the side of the patrol vehicle and believe it. The are not responsible for your protection and they surely aren't there to serve you. Courts have already ruled on this.

This is one of the many changes that have come with the para-militarization of the police over the last 30-40 years....welcome to the new world where even Mayberry would have an APV, Full autos and a SWAT team.