PDA

View Full Version : Awesome gun store encounters...

wilit
07-27-2010, 9:57 PM
Let's hear 'em!

Here's mine. Today, went to my local shop to pick up my newly acquired lower. To my surprise, there were two women in there and no boyfriends in sight. The woman this story is about, looked to be either 40ish or a hard livin' 30-something dressed much too young for her age. She's on the phone talking at 90dB trying to track down Chad. Apparently Chad had her car and the registration she needed to purchase a handgun. The handgun in question, a "Sweet Bernetta (her saying it wrong, not me spelling it wrong) 84 .380 auto Cheetah." All the while on the phone, she's holding the pistol and waving it around with her finger on the trigger. :eek: After she gets off the phone, she points it at some Browning Shotguns hanging on the rack behind the counter (maybe 6 feet away) and proclaims how she can hit the "G" on the Browning tag hanging on the barrel. Ugh...

gotgunz
07-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Get pics?

How about a phone number?

Where was this?

LOL

ir0nclash86
07-27-2010, 10:50 PM
She's not the only one who can hit the "G" lol ;)

icentropy
07-27-2010, 10:52 PM
oh no you di ent?!

Milsurp Collector
07-28-2010, 5:49 AM
The woman this story is about, looked to be either 40ish or a hard livin' 30-something dressed much too young for her age. She's on the phone talking at 90dB trying to track down Chad. Apparently Chad had her car and the registration she needed to purchase a handgun. The handgun in question, a "Sweet Bernetta (her saying it wrong, not me spelling it wrong) 84 .380 auto Cheetah."

A cougar buying a Cheetah? :p

zman
07-28-2010, 7:16 AM
She's not the only one who can hit the "G" lol ;)

oh no you di ent?!

Bwahahaha! :rofl2:

acolytes
07-28-2010, 7:29 AM
I don't think you would want to get her number....She sounds like the kind of person that would start shooting at you if you piss her off after she just downed a handle of wild turkey. She's a negligent discharge waiting to happen. hahaha

joedogboy
07-28-2010, 7:47 AM
During my first Army tour, my job required that I drive into town and deliver items several times a week. When possible, I scheduled it so I could go to lunch in town - buying a sandwich at subway, then hanging out at the gun shop next door (where I would buy one gun on layaway, then immediately put another on layaway).
One day, two sketchy looking guys came into the store, and ignored a greeting from the manager. They split up and one was acting odd - creating a distraction while the other was "casing" the shop - although I was just concerned over the odd behavior, and wasn't thinking of them as criminals. The manager casually asked me if I'd like to see a new .45 that had come in on consignment, handing me the pistol, plus a loaded mag, and indicating that I should load the gun.
I noticed that both staff members had their hands on their pistols, and the owner casually picked up the phone and made a call.
The two guys saw the armed gun store employees, and an armed soldier, and decided to leave - one said something rude on his way out, and when he moved his arm opening the door, his untucked shirt fell back to expose the pistol in the back of his waistband.

The police arrived moments later, and picked the two up shortly after (I don't think they made it out of the parking lot).

icentropy
07-28-2010, 7:50 AM
That's a smart manager.

pullnshoot25
07-28-2010, 8:52 AM
During my first Army tour, my job required that I drive into town and deliver items several times a week. When possible, I scheduled it so I could go to lunch in town - buying a sandwich at subway, then hanging out at the gun shop next door (where I would buy one gun on layaway, then immediately put another on layaway).
One day, two sketchy looking guys came into the store, and ignored a greeting from the manager. They split up and one was acting odd - creating a distraction while the other was "casing" the shop - although I was just concerned over the odd behavior, and wasn't thinking of them as criminals. The manager casually asked me if I'd like to see a new .45 that had come in on consignment, handing me the pistol, plus a loaded mag, and indicating that I should load the gun.
I noticed that both staff members had their hands on their pistols, and the owner casually picked up the phone and made a call.
The two guys saw the armed gun store employees, and an armed soldier, and decided to leave - one said something rude on his way out, and when he moved his arm opening the door, his untucked shirt fell back to expose the pistol in the back of his waistband.

The police arrived moments later, and picked the two up shortly after (I don't think they made it out of the parking lot).

Holy hell. Cool manager.

pullnshoot25
07-28-2010, 9:04 AM
My stories....

-socalgun salesman/manager trying to tell me the law (chuckle)
-Turner's Kearney Mesa salesman trying to tell me the law on stop-and-ID and betting me 100 bucks on it. I doubt he will pay up. (I gave him my gpal address.)

Thats all I can think of right now.

Greg-Dawg
07-28-2010, 9:20 AM
I'm waiting on a Turners story....(sounds of crickets).

ar15barrels
07-28-2010, 9:34 AM

An armed society is a polite society.

Nachoman
07-28-2010, 9:40 AM
That's a smart manager.

Serious, although I bet he was thinking "2 vs 2... that's an even fight... I'd much rather have it 3 vs 2"

pullnshoot25
07-28-2010, 10:11 AM

Got one on my blog, it is a very recent post.

daveinwoodland
07-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Better give that Cheetah a banana quick before Tarzan gets riled

ljdouglas
07-28-2010, 10:57 AM

So I got a couple of email ads from Turners about pistols that I might like, on sale.

Twice. In two consecutive months, two different pistols. Very good prices.

Month 1:
Took ad to Turners.
Pointed to pistol in ad. Said "I want to see this."
Guy gets one out for my examination.
I say "OK, I'll take this".
Did paperwork.
Paid the nice lady up front.
Went back ten days later and picked up gun.

Month 2:
Went there.
Pointed at pistol in ad and asked "can I see that"?
Was handed cleared pistol.
Messed with it a bit. Problem with the magazine release.
Guy goes in back and gets another one.
Messed with it a bit.
I said "OK, I'll take this"
Did the paperwork.

Don't know how much more awesome it could get than that, but then it doesn't take a lot to impress me.

Cyc Wid It
07-28-2010, 11:04 AM
There was a gentleman working at a certain bay area range/shop in Civil War regalia ranting and raving about transporting loaded magazines. The sad part is his audience seemed thoroughly convinced and impressed.

Steyrlp10
07-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Some of these characters sounded like they were extras from the Walmart photos floating around on the Internet...

CHS
07-28-2010, 12:34 PM
So I got a couple of email ads from Turners about pistols that I might like, on sale.

Twice. In two consecutive months, two different pistols. Very good prices.

Month 1:
Took ad to Turners.
Pointed to pistol in ad. Said "I want to see this."
Guy gets one out for my examination.
I say "OK, I'll take this".
Did paperwork.

Month 2:
Went there.
Pointed at pistol in ad and asked "can I see that"?
Was handed cleared pistol.
Messed with it a bit. Problem with the magazine release.
Guy goes in back and gets another one.
Messed with it a bit.
I said "OK, I'll take this"
Did the paperwork.

That's exactly how all of my Turners experiences go.

Show ad, say "I'll take that one", come back 10 days later.

No talking, no BS'ing, no dealing with them trying to convince me of a different gun. Just point and shoot :)

audiophil2
07-28-2010, 1:02 PM
My wife bought her first pistol at a local shop using her CCW permit. She picked out a holster and paid cash for everything. as the salesman was ringing her up the owner asked what ammo she wanted to load up in her mags. Thinking we were being upselled I politely told him I had ammo at home. His response was something like "Your not going to carry this gun out of the store unloaded are you?" I was confused since I always lived in right denied states until the light bulb flickered and I realized what he meant. My wife put on the holster, loaded up her mags with fresh ammo, made ready, and holstered her new gun. We walked out of the store a little puzzled, very happy, and with a bag containing an empty gun case and holster display plastic.

bballwizard05
07-28-2010, 1:17 PM
My wife bought her first pistol at a local shop using her CCW permit. She picked out a holster and paid cash for everything. as the salesman was ringing her up the owner asked what ammo she wanted to load up in her mags. Thinking we were being upselled I politely told him I had ammo at home. His response was something like "Your not going to carry this gun out of the store unloaded are you?" I was confused since I always lived in right denied states until the light bulb flickered and I realized what he meant. My wife put on the holster, loaded up her mags with fresh ammo, made ready, and holstered her new gun. We walked out of the store a little puzzled, very happy, and with a bag containing an empty gun case and holster display plastic.

HAHA oh how I wish for this to happen to me someday.

On a side note: what could possibly go wrong in Surprise AZ requiring carrying loaded!!?? It's like the retirement center of the west!!! :) (I have family there)

Picked up a turk mauser the other day, entered into conversation about CCW. Gun store owner told me if I opened carried I would be shot, told me I can not buy any handguns with a C&R in other states, told me mag kits DO NOT include casing, told me transporting, selling, making, BUYING, hi cap mags is illegal. And finally, my C&R could be used to buy and sell as it is a hobby and "what are they gonna do". So much fail it hurt... told him he should get on calguns to discuss with some other FFL's about some of this stuff. told me my "club" can say what they want, in the end everybody should just watch out for their own ***.

may have lost me as a customer...

Also Richards guns in Orcutt. No cool story, just over priced.... and grumpy.

acolytes
07-28-2010, 2:59 PM

Reminds me of the movie no country for old men. He walked up to the counter and checked out a shot gun. Says "I'll take it". The sales man hands him the gun right over the counter, and asks "You want some shells with that?" He gets some shells and walks out of the store with the shotgun and ammo in hand.

Milsurp Collector
07-28-2010, 3:10 PM
Reminds me of the movie no country for old men. He walked up to the counter and checked out a shot gun. Says "I'll take it". The sales man hands him the gun right over the counter, and asks "You want some shells with that?" He gets some shells and walks out of the store with the shotgun and ammo in hand.

That reminds me of a different movie

JJRLoGYtkEM&rel=0

audiophil2
07-28-2010, 3:23 PM
HAHA oh how I wish for this to happen to me someday.

On a side note: what could possibly go wrong in Surprise AZ requiring carrying loaded!!?? It's like the retirement center of the west!!! :) (I have family there)

So true. I picked this place strategically in case of a zombie epidemic. Old people can't run fast. I never had so much fun with old folks as I do out here. I have grandpa's slapping me on my back telling me I'm doing a good job when I take my 4 yr old to Cabela's to look at guns. At the range I get to shoot some seriously beautiful guns and listen to good stories.

I don't carry a gun in Surprise. I usually just take my kershaw since a gun weighs so much more. I do carry a gun on the rare occassions that we have to leave the city and travel into El Mirage or Phoenix. Completely different world east of Grand Ave. At least tonight I won't have the extra weight of a CCW permit in my wallet.

ar15barrels
07-28-2010, 3:30 PM
On a side note: what could possibly go wrong in Surprise AZ requiring carrying loaded!!??

It's a surprise. ;)

ar15barrels
07-28-2010, 3:31 PM

Welcome to most of the rest of the country. ;)
That's how it is in free states.

nick
07-28-2010, 9:59 PM
That's exactly how all of my Turners experiences go.

Show ad, say "I'll take that one", come back 10 days later.

No talking, no BS'ing, no dealing with them trying to convince me of a different gun. Just point and shoot :)

I guess, I'm one of the lucky ones, as well. I haven't had any problems at Turner's, and I've bought quite a lot of guns from them, and did even more PPTs there, so I've dealt with pretty much all the employees at the three Turner's stores I go to. Moreover, I've always had courteous service there.

In fact, I've only had problems at one gun store I went to, Gun World in Burbank, and I've had problems with FUD being served at MBR in Culver City, but I haven't experienced any problems with service there, either. My standards aren't low, either, as I have a big problem with crappy service (we're in the US, the place that invented customer service, not in Europe, the place where service is designed to bring you down on your dime).

Turbinator
07-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Doesn't this thread belong merged with the gun shop horror stories that someone else started awhile back?

Turby

joedogboy
07-28-2010, 11:54 PM
It seems that the "negatives" in the stories in this thread are not so much the shop owners/staff, as they are other people who are in the store. There are also some nice stories here. As such, it probably doesn't need to be merged with another thread.

Sillyguy
07-29-2010, 6:58 AM
all my turners experiences at fountain valley and signal hill have been great!

rod
07-29-2010, 10:44 AM
I went to a gun show a few weeks after moving to Virginia and was looking at all the fun stuff I could buy. I must have had a look of bewilderment on my face and mentioned to one of the venders that I had recently moved from California. The vender gave me a 30 rnd magazine for my AR and welcomed me to America.

WhatsTCP
07-29-2010, 11:48 AM
I went to a gun show a few weeks after moving to Virginia and was looking at all the fun stuff I could buy. I must have had a look of bewilderment on my face and mentioned to one of the venders that I had recently moved from California. The vender gave me a 30 rnd magazine for my AR and welcomed me to America.

I shed a manly tear :(

rromeo
07-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Damn. I didn't get a free magazine at my first VA gun show.

randy
07-29-2010, 2:44 PM
I got to meet Professional Coyote Hunter.

ar15barrels
07-29-2010, 4:03 PM
I got to meet Professional Coyote Hunter.

Did he shave his palms for you before he shook your hand?

randy
07-31-2010, 12:59 AM
LOL he must have seems like a solid guy.

CalNRA
07-31-2010, 3:23 AM
when I was younger I frequented Trader Sports and bought a lot of stuff there. (Sniff at the thought of picking up PMC 45 auto on sale for 150 dollars for 1000 in early 2000s).

Whenever I bought a gun there the guy that looks like the jump-to-conclusion-mat guy from Office Space always gave me a box of ammo or two on the way out.

joedogboy
07-31-2010, 9:59 PM
Whenever I bought a gun there the guy that looks like the jump-to-conclusion-mat guy from Office Space always gave me a box of ammo or two on the way out.

It used to be fairly common for shops to give you a box of ammo when you bought a gun from them.

Of course, when that was still a common practice, a box of ammo was about $6, and really nothing compared to the $300-800 I'd just spent on the gun, so they could afford to throw it in for free.