PDA

View Full Version : Off list pistol and self defense

DPC
07-27-2010, 8:07 PM
I this thread has been covered please direct me to it. I was just wandering though what would happen if you were in a defense situation and killed your attacker with a firearm that is not on the CA approved list?

Librarian
07-27-2010, 8:09 PM
I this thread has been covered please direct me to it. I was just wandering though what would happen if you were in a defense situation and killed your attacker with a firearm that is not on the CA approved list?

You'd be investigated.

But there's nothing illegal about using such a handgun in any legal circumstance.

Whether some silly person might want to file civil suit on that basis is another issue.

Ron-Solo
07-27-2010, 8:19 PM
If you obtained said pistol/revolver legally, the roster is not an issue. I have several handguns that are not on the roster, since several were not longer made when the legislature pulled the roster out of their backsides.

It is not illegal to possess an off roster gun. You can PPT them, but you can't buy one from a dealer. There are a few other exemptions, that's not the point of this thread.

DPC
07-27-2010, 8:20 PM
Thank you. I thought you just couldn't have them at all. I didn't know I could PPT them legally!!!

Thank you Librarian, Ron Solo.

Alaric
07-27-2010, 11:57 PM
If you obtained said pistol/revolver legally, the roster is not an issue. I have several handguns that are not on the roster, since several were not longer made when the legislature pulled the roster out of their backsides.

It is not illegal to possess an off roster gun. You can PPT them, but you can't buy one from a dealer. There are a few other exemptions, that's not the point of this thread.

I wonder if a dealer could transfer an offlist handgun to their own collection and then PPT it to someone legally? Are dealers eligible to PPT their own privately owned firearms?

Something tells me this could get a dealer some unwanted DOJ attention.

bwiese
07-28-2010, 12:19 AM
I wonder if a dealer could transfer an offlist handgun to their own collection and then PPT it to someone legally? Are dealers eligible to PPT their own privately owned firearms?

Something tells me this could get a dealer some unwanted DOJ attention.

CA FFL dealers can't turn non-Rostered inventory into personal use guns. There were issues around this happening with onset of SB15 and yes, dealers did get in trouble: their dealer status gives zero ability to acquire 'special' guns for personal use.

This is why you see some forlorn non-Rostered guns in the corner of the display case with red tags "LE Sales Only"; those non-Rostered inventoried guns are 'frozen' and can only be sold to LEOs or to/thru out-of-state FFLs, even though just down the display case there's an identical consignment gun that can be put in play.

[This is also why CA FFLs will generally not buy non-Rostered handguns unless they somehow know they can 'flip' it out of state or on GunBroker - which is usually rare, as FFLs usually buy guns for resale inventory.]

motorhead
07-28-2010, 8:31 AM
:rofl2:it would be most unsafe.