PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Questions

fallujahfighter
07-27-2010, 8:55 PM
Is there a thred for stupid questions that you don't know, but you should know, and are afraid to ask for fear of looking stupid? If not, here it is :o

Well here's 3 questions I probably should know and now feel stupid for asking, because I don't.

What does it meen to have a "button rifled" weapon?

What is a pinned butt stock?

What is the California Bullet Button?

I already feel stupid, please don't make it any worse than it is :TFH:

cannon
07-27-2010, 9:03 PM
Is there a thred for stupid questions that you don't know, but you should know, and are afraid to ask for fear of looking stupid? If not, here it is :o

Wells here's 3 questions I probably should know and now feel stupid for asking, because I don't.

What does it meen to have a "button rifled" weapon?

What is a pinned butt stock?

What is the California Bullet Button?

I already feel stupid, please don't make it any worse than it is :TFH:

Bud, Everyone here has asked a ton of stupid questions at one time or another. Anybody who tells you otherwise is full of...stuff.:D

1, Button rifling is one of several ways the lands and grooves (rifling) are manufactured into a barrel.

2, A pinned buttstock is a folding stock that is locked (pinned) so it cannot be folded.

3, A California bullet button is a device that requires a tool to remove a magazine from a rifle with evil features. Common on ARs and AKs. It's used to keep your detachable magazine, pistol gripped rifle legal.

Good luck and don't be afraid to use the subpar search function.

Lucky Scott
07-27-2010, 9:07 PM
Never feel bad asking a question, we all gotta learn sometime.
I have asked my fair share of stupid questions. Someone here will usually give me the answer.

Regulus
07-27-2010, 9:13 PM
Good luck and don't be afraid to use the subpar search function.

Google works too...
Great thread. Will probably post here myself.

Button Rifling:

Probably the most common method used today to rifle barrels is button rifling. Button rifling uses a different approach to forming the grooves in the barrel. A button as seen below is a very hard steel plug that is forced down an unrifled barrel. The grooves are then formed in the barrel under very high pressure. The pressure created to form the rifling in the barrel hardens and polishes the inside of the barrel.

http://firearmsid.com/jpgs/990900086.jpg

Pinned Buttstock:

I'm guessing this is what you were looking for with the pinned buttstock:

9jBVUuNgPg4

Bullet Button:

From RifleGear (http://www.riflegear.com/p-58-bullet-button.aspx)

The Bullet Button is a product that allows the shooter to drop a magazine with the use of a tool. It prevents finger manipulation of the mag release, and creates a condition allowable under current individual interpretations of California law.

Wicked Pete
07-28-2010, 6:00 PM
There are no stupid questions. There is so much new information about firearms and shooting that it would be impossible to know everything. I just found out what a Bullet Button was all about.

I appreciate that the members here on CGN don't come on like "know-it-all's" and imply that you lacking in intelligence. At least the members I have seen, are glad to help with information and are not "talking down to you".

Ricky-Ray
07-28-2010, 6:12 PM
I've got one.

What's a featureless AR???? I saw somewhere on a thread that a featureless AR doesn't need a bullet button. Is that true?

CSACANNONEER
07-28-2010, 6:32 PM
I've got one.

What's a featureless AR???? I saw somewhere on a thread that a featureless AR doesn't need a bullet button. Is that true?

If a centerfire, semi-auto rifle with a detachable magazine is not a listed gun (if they are listed and registered, that's another story) and does not have any of what California has decided are "evil features", it does not need a fixed mag and you can use any legally owned mag that you have.

When it comes to ARs, you can easily assemble on without a pistol grip, flash hider, folding stock, etc. If you do this, no BB is needed and you can use your legally owned 11, 20, 30, 90, or whatever round mags you want to.

eastbayjordan
07-28-2010, 6:36 PM
What's c&r

ojisan
07-28-2010, 6:42 PM
Curio and Relic
Old guns (at least 50 years old but sometimes must be older).
These are exempt from some sales laws.
These are guns where they are more likely to be collected and occasionally shot than used in a revolution.
You can get a special C&R firearms license and cash and carry C&R guns.
Some C&R guns (mostly rifles) can be cash and carried by anyone (no felons etc).

eastbayjordan
07-28-2010, 6:49 PM
Thank you

Regulus
07-28-2010, 7:34 PM

CSACANNONEER covered it.

FYI, here is a link to the Featureless Rifle Picture Thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=253777) with lots of pictures of various configurations.

My personal favorite (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=3406805&postcount=69) :cool:

fallujahfighter
07-28-2010, 9:48 PM
This is flipin awsome!!! Thanks for the answers, all of you :cool: . I was stationed in California for several years at Camp Pendleton, but I never had any of my personally owned weapons with me, almost all of which were illegal in California anyway. I always left them with my dad in Florida or my brother in Alabama. I figured since California made it so difficult to buy/carry/own/shoot one, I never bothered or had any interest in same while I was there. Besides, I had to be a Cali state resident in order to do so, and there is no way in hell that was going to happen.

I mean no offence, but I could not live in a state that restricts my 2nd Amendment rights as much as California does, (or so it seems from a Texan's point of view), as do many other states/cities besides Cali. Hehe, I knew that when I was to retire, it was going to be in the south, just not directly south of Oregon :hide: .

swerv512
07-29-2010, 5:23 AM
come on, i wanted to answer a stoopid question!
let me see if i can make one up...

CSACANNONEER
07-29-2010, 6:57 AM
come on, i wanted to answer a stoopid question!
let me see if i can make one up...

If my Glock22 mag holds more than 10 rounds of .22lr, is it illegal?

Wicked Pete
07-29-2010, 1:54 PM
Here is a stupid question: which end of the gun do the bullets come out?

swerv512
07-29-2010, 5:53 PM
If my Glock22 mag holds more than 10 rounds of .22lr, is it illegal?

ah, a good question indeed. i shouldn't have opened my big mouth...
my best answer (gulp)...

is your G22 magazine illegal with no ammo inserted- no.

is your G22 magazine illegal if you used it in your G22 (40cal barrel)-no, assuming it is a factory 10rd (40 cal) magazine

is your G22 magazine illegal if you used it in a pistol capable of firing 22lr- yes, it has the capacity to accept more than 10rds.

did you just manufacture or cause to be manufactured a high capacity magazine when you put that 11th rd. of 22lr in that magazine- i'd think so..

just did some more thinking.....

let's assume the original G22 magazine you have is a legal high-cap (obtained before year 2000)
then, you'd already have a legally owned high-cap so i'd assume (yeah i know what happens when i "assume") that you cant manufacture or cause to be manufactured an already legal high-cap into another high-cap of different caliber, right?? ... therefore you'd be GTG.... did i just confuse myself...

i want a stoopider question because this one has me doing too much thinking.

CSACANNONEER
07-29-2010, 6:23 PM
i want a stoopider question because this one has me doing too much thinking.

OK, here's a good one. I have to do some work at one of Mel's properties tomorrow. If I see him what should I do? My wife told me to just kick him in the balls. Is that enough?

cannon
07-29-2010, 7:03 PM
OK, here's a good one. I have to do some work at one of Mel's properties tomorrow. If I see him what should I do? My wife told me to just kick him in the balls. Is that enough?

A stooopider question would be...

I have to do some work at one of Mel's properties tomorrow. If I see him should I ask him for relationship advice?

swerv512
07-29-2010, 7:38 PM
^^^
I know the answer to this one....

NO!

fallujahfighter
07-29-2010, 11:06 PM
ROFLMAO!!! I'd like to quote the last 6 statements, but that would be just too much, I'm really dying here :rofl2: