PDA

View Full Version : Lady's self-defense/handgun class in bay area

rubdub
07-27-2010, 8:50 PM
Hey ladies,

I recently bought an AR-15 and took my wife to the range to shoot. At first, she was overwhelmed (hell, I was too! This is my first rifle!), but after about 20 rounds, she was hooked!!

The next range trip we made, she shot my friends Sig P220, and was just not okay with not hitting bulls eyes every time.

My question is, is there a good range/gun store that offers ladies only classes so she can bring a friend and learn and practice shooting?

Any tips you've got for the bay area ladies?

Thanks a million!

Steyrlp10
07-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Which part of the Bay Area are you located?

rubdub
07-29-2010, 3:06 PM
San Francisco or Cupertino would be the lest areas to look.

Steyrlp10
07-29-2010, 4:02 PM
San Francisco or Cupertino would be the lest areas to look.

Sorry, but just wanted to clarify with you -- you don't want San Francisco or Cupertino, correct?

The reason I asked where you're located is that it would help me give you some suggestions.

I'm a female Bullseye shooter and have taught pistol shooting in the past, but if you want a more formalized setting, there are a few Basic Pistol courses in the Bay Area, but again, it would be helpful if you stated what specific city/county you're in.

9mmephipany is a Calgunner on here, and he is very good. He's another option, especially if you want to learn IDPA.

9mmepiphany
07-29-2010, 6:02 PM
thanks for the nod Steyrlp10

i do teach, mostly handgun, everything from the literally from the ground up. it is easier to learn the correct stance, grip, sight picture and trigger management and not have to break bad habits later.

correct instruction should be non-threatening, with the focus on the student understanding the why as well as the how. what you want to look for in an instructor is the ability to listen to student feedback (rather than demonstrating their own ability) and the ability to understand what the student is doing, and how to correct it, when making inconsistent shots (diagnose rather than mold into a perceived standard)

all the student needs is basic safety and an open mind...it cost more to correct a closed mind

Steyrlp10
07-30-2010, 11:54 AM
thanks for the nod Steyrlp10

i do teach, mostly handgun, everything from the literally from the ground up. it is easier to learn the correct stance, grip, sight picture and trigger management and not have to break bad habits later.

correct instruction should be non-threatening, with the focus on the student understanding the why as well as the how. what you want to look for in an instructor is the ability to listen to student feedback (rather than demonstrating their own ability) and the ability to understand what the student is doing, and how to correct it, when making inconsistent shots (diagnose rather than mold into a perceived standard)

all the student needs is basic safety and an open mind...it cost more to correct a closed mind

Anytime, Bud -- they're safer in your hands than with me ;)

I'm presently gun shopping for a replacement for the FAS 602 since all my good smiths have gone onto the Big Range in the Sky. My better half has been eyeing the lastest Walther GSPs, but I told him I think it's better if we get the kid his first car.

Head's up -- another OBW will soon be on the road :)

rubdub
07-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Sorry, Typo: SF or Cupertino would be the *best*. =)

9mmepiphany
07-30-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm presently gun shopping for a replacement for the FAS 602 since all my good smiths have gone onto the Big Range in the Sky.

it's one of the curses of shooting the better smallbore target pistols...it's like owning a British sports car

My better half has been eyeing the lastest Walther GSPs, but I told him I think it's better if we get the kid his first car.

Head's up -- another OBW will soon be on the road
:D

mine is studying for his test too. i'm going to let him have my bright yellow Mazda...so you'll be able to see him coming :p

Steyrlp10
07-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Sorry, Typo: SF or Cupertino would be the *best*. =)

Gotcha, no problem. It helps narrow down the geography.

As I mentioned, your best bet is to drop a PM to 9mm and get his feedback. The other two places that I know of that is somewhat in the direction of Cupertino but past SF:

1. www.coyotepointpc.org/

2. E. Brian Normandy, Firearms Instructor of Jackson Arms

Both of these have classes for beginning pistol shooters. Have fun at the range!