View Full Version : Question on selling for someone else.

Tank 57
07-27-2010, 6:17 PM
If this is in the wrong section,I apologise and request Mods to move to where ever it belongs.I have been asked to sell someone else's collection by his Widow.I don't think there's any problem with the long guns.Can I legally sell the handguns for her?She does not want anything to do with the guns.Husband committed Suicide with a firearm.Wants them out of her house and legally sold off.I have a C&R FFL which I believe is completely useless in this situation.

07-27-2010, 6:22 PM
You can facilitate the transaction for her iirc. However a PPT necessitates both parties being present.

07-27-2010, 6:33 PM
For a PPT the owner and the purchaser must be present when doing a Private Party Transfer.

Tank 57
07-27-2010, 7:07 PM
I can't act as the owner?

07-27-2010, 11:28 PM
The rules for long guns are essentially the same as handguns as far as transfers go. I am not aware of any declaration that the person delivering the weapon to the new owner at the FFL has to sign saying they are the legal owner of the firearm.

07-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Of all the PPT's I've done the FFL will usually photocopy the seller' DL as well get a thumbprint. Not to mention you would have to sign the box marked seller on the DROS form.

In this instance where the widow wants no part of the transaction you might be able to put them on consignment. If the couple had any adult children you could have them register the inherited guns with the DOJ and then they would be able to PPT them.

This is just my opinion and I may be wrong.

07-28-2010, 8:45 AM
i think you can get something like a power of attorney that would make it legal for you as her agent. there must be a way, what would happen if she were hospitalized.

07-28-2010, 10:03 AM
She can give you power of attorney for the guns and then you can sell them off in PPT's to the new owners.

Tank 57
07-28-2010, 3:06 PM
She can give you power of attorney for the guns and then you can sell them off in PPT's to the new owners.

Sounds like the way to go.Was thinking I might have to PPT them from her to me and PPT to buyer.Don't want to give the state more than neceesary.