PDA

View Full Version : Tehama County Sheriff Leads Gun Rights Suit

FirstFlight
07-27-2010, 2:42 PM
Sheriff Parker is my kind of guy. If we had 57 more like him to sheriff the rest
of the CA counties there would be far less crime in CA and many happy gun owning citizens!

Tehama sheriff leads gun rights suit
Monday, Jul 26 2010, 5:28 pm
By Julie R. Johnson/Tri-County Newspapers
Tehama County Sheriff Clay Parker is passionate about citizens’ rights to bear arms.

So much so, he is the lead plaintiff in a lawsuit recently filed in Sacramento by the National Rifle Association/California Rifle and Pistol Association Foundation Legal Action Project challenging state Assembly Bill 962.

When the bill was signed into law by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger last year, the governor said it “requires vendors of handgun ammunition to keep a log of information on handgun ammunition sales, store ammunition in a safe and secure manner, and require the face-to-face transfer of ammunition sales.”

“The bill is too broad,” Parker said. “What is handgun ammunition? If you ask, no one could tell you. Some people may say a .357 shell is handgun ammunition, but I have a .357 rifle. This bill has to be defined better.”

This isn’t the first time Parker has taken action on the issue of firearms legislation. He took an active part in the lawsuit against Chicago’s long-standing ban on handguns, a case that went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. The court struck down the ban in June.

“I will continue to fight laws infringing a citizen’s right to bear arms,” Parker stated. “If a law could really do some good, okay. But when they pass laws affecting law abiding citizen’s not the criminals, that is not okay.”

The Foundation’s lawsuit has been in the works ever since AB 962 passed and a request for an injunction will be filed shortly, in an effort to stop the bill’s ammunition sales registration requirements (which includes fingerprinting), and the ban on mail order ammunition purchases before those provision take effect on Feb. 1, 2000, reported the foundation, which is funding the lawsuit.

Proponents of Bill 962 say the legislation was needed to close loop holes in existing firearms laws.
Assemblyman Kevin De Leon, who sponsored the bill, has stated, “a gun without ammunition is like a syringe without the drug.”

According to the bill’s introduction, “Existing law requires the Department of Justice to maintain records pertaining to firearms transactions. This bill would require the department to maintain additional information relating to ammunition transfers and licensed handgun ammunition vendors, as specified.”

Tim Ross, an employee of Hatfield’s Ace Hardware, which sells firearms and ammunition, said he agrees with Parker that the language of the bill is too broad.

“There is a lot of firearms ammunition that is interchangeable between pistols and rifles,” Ross said. “Another issue we have with the bill is the record keeping. For every box of ammunition we sell we will have to keep fingerprint, driver’s license, and other information on our records for who knows how long and that will create an unimaginable paper trail headache.”

The Foundation states its attorneys will continue to fight against ill-conceived gun control laws and ordinances.

Click on link below for original newspaper story

http://www.corning-observer.com/news/tehama-7987-sheriff-parker.html

mtptwo
07-27-2010, 2:58 PM
Grew up in Tehama county. All of the sheriffs that I know of were all shall issue.

Ding126
07-27-2010, 2:59 PM
Yesss

dantodd
07-27-2010, 3:02 PM
Are the right people ready to post the complaint in this action yet?

pTa
07-27-2010, 3:09 PM
some of the biggest proponents of gun rights i knew grewing up were LE officers - alot of times they get promotedd to chief of sheriff and suddneley they have to toe the political line - this is so good to see

AEC1
07-27-2010, 3:13 PM
I like it. And I aint Mikey...

sbrady@Michel&Associates
07-27-2010, 3:35 PM
Are the right people ready to post the complaint in this action yet?

I don't know who "the right people" are, but we plan to post the complaint in the near future, maybe 2 weeks. :D Sorry, I couldn't resist. Although, it really might be 2 weeks, but it may be as early as next week. Sorry again for the suspense.

FirstFlight
07-27-2010, 3:47 PM
I don't know who "the right people" are, but we plan to post the complaint in the near future, maybe 2 weeks. :D Sorry, I couldn't resist. Although, it really might be 2 weeks, but it may be as early as next week. Sorry again for the suspense.

Thanks for the good info Sean...

wildhawker
07-27-2010, 4:16 PM
To clear the air a bit: there's a very good reason that folks are being cagey about this suit, particularly. Please trust that they are doing the right thing for the cause and not because it's building a buzz surrounding the case.

dantodd
07-27-2010, 4:21 PM
To clear the air a bit: there's a very good reason that folks are being cagey about this suit, particularly. Please trust that they are doing the right thing for the cause and not because it's building a buzz surrounding the case.

I have no doubt. I was just asking if the news article was an indication that the complaint was ready to be made public.

Fjold
07-27-2010, 4:35 PM
Proponents of Bill 962 say the legislation was needed to close loop holes in existing firearms laws.
Assemblyman Kevin De Leon, who sponsored the bill, has stated, “a gun without ammunition is like a syringe without the drug.”

They give away free syringes all over the state. When are they going to give away free guns?

Roadrunner
07-27-2010, 4:39 PM
That's great, but will he stand shoulder to shoulder with us on issues like the AWB, CCW, gun roster, .50 cal ban, LOC, and anything else I may have missed ?

dantodd
07-27-2010, 4:43 PM
That's great, but will he stand shoulder to shoulder with us on issues like the AWB, CCW, gun roster, .50 cal ban, LOC, and anything else I may have missed ?

Who cares. Unless you are a resident of Tehama county stop complaining. Seriously. It gets really really annoying when CGF lobbies someone with great credentials to help us beat back a bad law and all you do is complain that MAYBE he isn't good ENOUGH.

I don't know what his views are but what if he is not for repealing the AWB? Does it somehow make his contribution less valuable in beating back 962?

If and when those other cases are brought I am sure that "The Right People" will find appropriate plaintiffs.

Roadrunner
07-27-2010, 4:46 PM
Who cares. Unless you are a resident of Tehama county stop complaining. Seriously. It gets really really annoying when CGF lobbies someone with great credentials to help us beat back a bad law and all you do is complain that MAYBE he isn't good ENOUGH.

I don't know what his views are but what if he is not for repealing the AWB? Does it somehow make his contribution less valuable in beating back 962?

If and when those other cases are brought I am sure that "The Right People" will find appropriate plaintiffs.

It just seems rather self serving, so I'm not impressed. That's all. In my opinion, anyone who buys or sells ammunition can be a plaintiff.

sbrady@Michel&Associates
07-27-2010, 4:52 PM
In my opinion, anyone who buys or sells ammunition can be a plaintiff.

Not exactly accurate with respect to this particular challenge. You will understand why when the Complaint is posted.

gtturborex
07-27-2010, 6:40 PM
I wish we had more like him. Every little bit helps. Go get em' :)

robcoe
07-27-2010, 8:36 PM

Dude in this state is amazeing to get any help from someone in a position where they have to deal with politics. Help is help, take it where you can get it.

HowardW56
07-27-2010, 8:43 PM

Just what we need, another comedian.... :rolleyes:

Roadrunner
07-27-2010, 8:44 PM
Dude in this state is amazeing to get any help from someone in a position where they have to deal with politics. Help is help, take it where you can get it.

I suppose we could work with that old adage that the "Enemy of my enemy is my friend." But does anyone know where he stands on those other issues ?

Roadrunner
07-27-2010, 8:46 PM
Not exactly accurate with respect to this particular challenge. You will understand why when the Complaint is posted.

And I suppose that will be in a fortnight.

MasterYong
07-27-2010, 9:31 PM

:eek::eek::eek:

N6ATF
07-27-2010, 9:38 PM

Methinks this Assemblyman knows something about drugs. :rolleyes:

The Foundation’s lawsuit has been in the works ever since AB 962 passed and a request for an injunction will be filed shortly, in an effort to stop the bill’s ammunition sales registration requirements (which includes fingerprinting), and the ban on mail order ammunition purchases before those provision take effect on Feb. 1, 2000, reported the foundation, which is funding the lawsuit.

Gotta love those DeLoreans...

jlh95811
07-27-2010, 10:03 PM
And I suppose that will be in a fortnight.

I'm guessing you missed this post? \/\/\/

pullnshoot25
07-27-2010, 11:00 PM
This whole legal gangbang that CGF is giving to The Insane Ones is giving me a raging brainer :)

mosinnagantm9130
07-27-2010, 11:09 PM

I don't think anyone ever said he was smart:D

thayne
07-27-2010, 11:13 PM

Cant have the cure without the drug. :D

dantodd
07-27-2010, 11:50 PM

So is he going to outlaw syringes? Or is he able to see positive as well as negative uses of syringes where he refuses to do the same for firearms?

BigDogatPlay
07-28-2010, 2:45 AM

So then Mr. DeLeon is stating for the record that his intent for the legislation is to prevent law abiding citizens from procuring required components if they choose to exercise their fundamental right to self defense and own a firearm.

That's what he's saying?

CABilly
07-28-2010, 2:59 AM

I propose we push for no less than the same restrictions/flaming hoops for the purchase of tires and automobile fuel. Thousands die every year from cars. Yes, the cars are all ideally registered with the state, but we need to close the loopholes people are exploiting in order to drive their cars. Also, every tire must have a unique tread pattern that would lead back to the registered owner, and every gas pump must have a thumbprint scanner.

1JimMarch
07-28-2010, 3:03 AM
Um.

Yeah. This is good. Except...I don't trust Clay Parker.

First: Parker is not 100% pro-gun. He maintains the ban on issuing to any resident of Red Bluff and I think one other incorporated town where the police chiefs have asked him not to issue. He's as vulnerable to a CCW discrimination suit as any of the worst sheriffs.

At least one more of his CCW requirements is blatantly illegal:

http://www.tehamaso.org/concealed_weapons_permit.htm

Spot it yet? It's the "US Citizen" thing. That was already shot down in court:

http://www.ninehundred.net/~equalccw/rappard.txt

And yes, this has been pointed out to him. He doesn't care.

Second: am I the only one who remembers what Peter Alan Kasler had to say about him?

The NRA got deeply in bed with Carona in Orange County and look at how that turned out. Shouldn't we be looking carefully at the ethics of sheriffs who claim to be "pro-gun"?

jpr9954
07-28-2010, 7:22 AM
I don't know anything about Sheriff Clay Parker but I'm glad he has stepped up to challenge AB 962. That said, would losing out in the primary back in June have anything to do with is decision to be a plaintiff?

http://www.redding.com/news/2010/jun/08/early-tehama-voting-shows-parker-lead/

By this I mean now that he is freed from pleasing the voters in order to get reelected he can take somewhat controversial stances.

glenndf
07-28-2010, 10:05 AM

I'm no legal-eagle, but wouldn't the Sheriff's Dept or a local PD be "the right people," since they'll be enforcing 962, if and/or when it goes into effect? Since, as the Sheriff states, the law is overly broad, wouldn't it be impossible, at least in the current language, for a LEO to differentiate between handgun ammo and rifle ammo? Especially when dealing with calibers that are common in both, such as .22LR and, as the sheriff notes, .357?

No rush on this IMO...we still have a few months before it goes into effect. Better to take a little longer and have a rock solid case than to rush it and lose because of a minor oversight/not "the right people"/etc.

Wherryj
07-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Sheriff Parker is my kind of guy. If we had 57 more like him to sheriff the rest
of the CA counties there would be far less crime in CA and many happy gun owning citizens!

Tehama sheriff leads gun rights suit
Monday, Jul 26 2010, 5:28 pm
By Julie R. Johnson/Tri-County Newspapers
Tehama County Sheriff Clay Parker is passionate about citizens’ rights to bear arms.

So much so, he is the lead plaintiff in a lawsuit recently filed in Sacramento by the National Rifle Association/California Rifle and Pistol Association Foundation Legal Action Project challenging state Assembly Bill 962.

When the bill was signed into law by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger last year, the governor said it “requires vendors of handgun ammunition to keep a log of information on handgun ammunition sales, store ammunition in a safe and secure manner, and require the face-to-face transfer of ammunition sales.”

“The bill is too broad,” Parker said. “What is handgun ammunition? If you ask, no one could tell you. Some people may say a .357 shell is handgun ammunition, but I have a .357 rifle. This bill has to be defined better.”

This isn’t the first time Parker has taken action on the issue of firearms legislation. He took an active part in the lawsuit against Chicago’s long-standing ban on handguns, a case that went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. The court struck down the ban in June.

“I will continue to fight laws infringing a citizen’s right to bear arms,” Parker stated. “If a law could really do some good, okay. But when they pass laws affecting law abiding citizen’s not the criminals, that is not okay.”

According to the bill’s introduction, “Existing law requires the Department of Justice to maintain records pertaining to firearms transactions. This bill would require the department to maintain additional information relating to ammunition transfers and licensed handgun ammunition vendors, as specified.”

Tim Ross, an employee of Hatfield’s Ace Hardware, which sells firearms and ammunition, said he agrees with Parker that the language of the bill is too broad.

“There is a lot of firearms ammunition that is interchangeable between pistols and rifles,” Ross said. “Another issue we have with the bill is the record keeping. For every box of ammunition we sell we will have to keep fingerprint, driver’s license, and other information on our records for who knows how long and that will create an unimaginable paper trail headache.”

The Foundation states its attorneys will continue to fight against ill-conceived gun control laws and ordinances.

Click on link below for original newspaper story

http://www.corning-observer.com/news/tehama-7987-sheriff-parker.html

A California LEO who actually believes in following the law? A LEO that doesn't automatically distrust law-abiding citizens? That's novel.

hill billy
07-28-2010, 11:42 AM
It just seems rather self serving, so I'm not impressed. That's all. In my opinion, anyone who buys or sells ammunition can be a plaintiff.
Having him as a pliantiff takes away any defense argument that law enforcement is for this dumb law. Pulls the rug right out.

The NRA got deeply in bed with Carona in Orange County and look at how that turned out. Shouldn't we be looking carefully at the ethics of sheriffs who claim to be "pro-gun"?
Well, they support Harry Reid. I hate Harry Reid. Hate him. He is as crooked as they come. But I have seen more than one person speculate that he has a hard choice ahead. He must either kill the Kagan nomination or lose his seat. If this is true, his NRA backing has put him in a spot that's a win for gunnies either way, IMO.

I'm no legal-eagle, but wouldn't the Sheriff's Dept or a local PD be "the right people," since they'll be enforcing 962, if and/or when it goes into effect? Since, as the Sheriff states, the law is overly broad, wouldn't it be impossible, at least in the current language, for a LEO to differentiate between handgun ammo and rifle ammo? Especially when dealing with calibers that are common in both, such as .22LR and, as the sheriff notes, .357?

You can find a handgun that shoots just about every rifle round. "The Right People" is a reference to those who are directly involved. In most cases this means the CGF and it's associates. One of those associates would definitely include Sean Brady and the rest of The C.D. Michel law office.

hill billy
07-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Oh and it's damn nice to see that an injunction is in the works. That gives us time to get out of state retailers up to speed.

glenndf
07-28-2010, 2:33 PM
You can find a handgun that shoots just about every rifle round. "The Right People" is a reference to those who are directly involved. In most cases this means the CGF and it's associates. One of those associates would definitely include Sean Brady and the rest of The C.D. Michel law office.
Thanks for clarifying this for me. I'm new around here, so I'm not entirely up to speed on who everyone is, either on this forum or in california Pro-2a law.

sbrady@Michel&Associates
07-28-2010, 3:47 PM
"The Right People" is a reference to those who are directly involved. In most cases this means the CGF and it's associates. One of those associates would definitely include Sean Brady and the rest of The C.D. Michel law office.

I think I should clarify something; although we sometimes interact and coordinate with CGF on certain matters (one of which you will hear about shortly), and respect and enjoy a lot of the work those involved with CGF do, CGF is not our client, NRA, CRPA and CRPA Foundation are. Please do not interpret this as me distancing myself or Michel & Associates from the wonderful people at CGF. I just do not want people thinking our firm is involved in and deserves the credit for everything CGF does and vice versa. For example, this case, Parker v. California is solely an NRA/CRPA Foundation Legal Action Project matter.

So, we appreciate the honor of you considering us at Michel & Associates among "The Right People," but I feel that clarification was necessary to avoid future confusion.

FirstFlight
07-28-2010, 4:03 PM
I think I should clarify something; although we sometimes interact and coordinate with CGF on certain matters (one of which you will hear about shortly), and respect and enjoy a lot of the work those involved with CGF do, CGF is not our client, NRA, CRPA and CRPA Foundation are. Please do not interpret this as me distancing myself or Michel & Associates from the wonderful people at CGF. I just do not want people thinking our firm is involved in and deserves the credit for everything CGF does and vice versa. For example, this case, Parker v. California is solely an NRA/CRPA Foundation Legal Action Project matter.

So, we appreciate the honor of you considering us at Michel & Associates among "The Right People," but I feel that clarification was necessary to avoid future confusion.

Thanks Sean....as a member of CGN, NRA and CRPA I thank you and Michel & Associates for all your good work. Nice to know I am associated with your team!

wildhawker
07-28-2010, 4:06 PM
Exactly right, and we're all proud to be part of the coalition.

Michel & Associates, including Mr. Brady, are some of the "Right People". 'TRP' has become synonymous with those in NRA/CRPA/CGF/SAF leadership/lawyering.

freonr22
07-28-2010, 4:07 PM
This whole legal gangbang that CGF is giving to The Insane Ones is giving me a raging brainer ?. End quote. Awesome sig material

command_liner
07-28-2010, 5:23 PM
Well, they support Harry Reid. I hate Harry Reid. Hate him. He is as crooked as they come. But I have seen more than one person speculate that he has a hard choice ahead. He must either kill the Kagan nomination or lose his seat. If this is true, his NRA backing has put him in a spot that's a win for gunnies either way, IMO.

I am so thrilled that there is somebody else that can think, and see
there is more to the game than just the next move.

Reid is a real turd, but he needs to be OUR TURD. If the Rs do not
win the Senate, but do manage to keep Reid in control, the NRA will
clearly be the reason Reid is there. But if Reid looses, and we do
not gain control of the Senate, well we have BIG BIG BIG problem
with Kagan.

This is all like WWII. We need to expend a bunch of political capitol
to win the long game. Sure, some people will end up hating the
NRA. That is the way war goes sometimes. Right after he directed
the British effort in WWII, before the treaties were signed, Churchill
lost his local election, and was removed from government. The
local voters at the time did not quite understand the whole game.

jl123
07-28-2010, 8:14 PM
I am so thrilled that there is somebody else that can think, and see
there is more to the game than just the next move.

Reid is a real turd, but he needs to be OUR TURD. If the Rs do not
win the Senate, but do manage to keep Reid in control, the NRA will
clearly be the reason Reid is there. But if Reid looses, and we do
not gain control of the Senate, well we have BIG BIG BIG problem
with Kagan.

This is all like WWII. We need to expend a bunch of political capitol
to win the long game. Sure, some people will end up hating the
NRA. That is the way war goes sometimes. Right after he directed
the British effort in WWII, before the treaties were signed, Churchill
lost his local election, and was removed from government. The
local voters at the time did not quite understand the whole game.

A long as none of the other justices retire or die on us, Kagan really isn't that much of an issue (liberal replacing liberal).....but you're thinking along the right lines.

With liberals in control, it doesn't get much better than Reid from a gun rights perspective.

jpr9954
07-29-2010, 8:32 AM
Another story about the lawsuit was in the Redding Record-Spotlight (http://www.redding.com/news/2010/jul/27/ammunition-law-challenged-second-amendment-suit/)

Tehama County Sheriff Clay Parker didn’t know that he would be named as the lead plaintiff on a suit challenging a new law that would require handgun ammunition buyers to register with the government.

“I wasn’t expecting that,” he said Tuesday, chuckling as he recounted opening his mail last week and seeing the civil complaint with “Sheriff Clay Parker v. The State of California” on the cover sheet.

Is this true or was it just for public consumption by the newspaper? Or was it that he just didn't expect to be the lead plaintiff?

N6ATF
07-29-2010, 11:33 AM
People just glancing over it will read that there was a conspiracy to name him a plaintiff when he didn't even want to be a party to the suit. Big difference, if it is read carefully.

Shotgun Man
08-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Has the complaint on this case been published on the internet yet?

wildhawker
08-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Has the complaint on this case been published on the internet yet?

No, most likely waiting on the gut/amend window to close.

ETA: spelling fix

Shotgun Man
08-14-2010, 11:23 AM
No, most likely waiting on the gun/amend window to close.

Can you explain the window?

wildhawker
08-14-2010, 12:16 PM
http://www.assembly.ca.gov/clerk/billslegislature/2010legcalendar.html

Aug. 20 - Last day to amend on the Floor (J.R. 61(b)(16)).

Aug. 31 - Last day for any bill to be passed (Art. IV, Sec 10(c), J.R. 61(b)(17)). Final Recess begins on adjournment (J.R. 51(b)(3)).

Nov. 30 — Adjournment sine die at midnight (Art. IV, Sec. 3(a)).

Shotgun Man
08-14-2010, 12:22 PM
http://www.assembly.ca.gov/clerk/billslegislature/2010legcalendar.html

Aug. 20 - Last day to amend on the Floor (J.R. 61(b)(16)).

Aug. 31 - Last day for any bill to be passed (Art. IV, Sec 10(c), J.R. 61(b)(17)). Final Recess begins on adjournment (J.R. 51(b)(3)).

Nov. 30 — Adjournment sine die at midnight (Art. IV, Sec. 3(a)).

Ah, I think I see. Thank you.

I wonder why not delay the filing of the lawsuit until the window had closed?

wildhawker
08-14-2010, 2:27 PM
Ah, I think I see. Thank you.

I wonder why not delay the filing of the lawsuit until the window had closed?

Michel & Assoc. would be the appropriate folks to explain and answer exactly why, but I would speculate that it's a calendaring move. I believe this case is scheduled for a case management conference in October and a motion hearing next month.

Meplat
08-14-2010, 2:50 PM
Grew up in Tehama county. All of the sheriffs that I know of were all shall issue.

Anywhere near Los Molinos or Tehama?

Meplat
08-14-2010, 2:55 PM

I think so. I don't know him but I know people who have known him for a long time. They seem to think so.

wildhawker
08-14-2010, 3:51 PM
The Sheriff is obviously friendly but has some firearms/CCW policies which could use some attention and remediation.

dantodd
08-18-2010, 4:59 PM
Has this case been opened for public consumption yet? I'd really like to see it.