PDA

View Full Version : 20moa base, now Leupold QRW rings problems???

johnrunner89
07-27-2010, 2:38 PM
Alright so I just mounted a 20moa base on my rifle. Got a new scope with 80 moa of adjustment and am going to do a 100yd zero. It's my first time with an optic with target knobs so I'm new with everything. I am curious about my new base though. So since its a 20moa base, my understanding is that it tilts my scope downward/point the barrel up, right? And after I get my 100yd zero, I should be able to just use my standard 1/4 moa adjustments and magically get an extra 20moa of adjustment out of my optic for long range shooting?

m1match
07-27-2010, 4:29 PM
Yes that's right, since the base is tilted down, zeroing your scope will have a 100 yd zero 20 MOA lower leaving that much more of the scopes elevation range to adjust at longer ranges.

Fjold
07-27-2010, 4:45 PM
Alright so I just mounted a 20moa base on my rifle. Got a new scope with 80 moa of adjustment and am going to do a 100yd zero. It's my first time with an optic with target knobs so I'm new with everything. I am curious about my new base though. So since its a 20moa base, my understanding is that it tilts my scope downward/point the barrel up, right? And after I get my 100yd zero, I should be able to just use my standard 1/4 moa adjustments and magically get an extra 20moa of adjustment out of my optic for long range shooting?

The 20 MOA base will tilt your scope down which raises the point of impact. You will have to adjust your scope down to get it sighted in at 100 yards.

Let's say that with a 0 MOA base your scope centers exactly in the middle of your adjustment range at 100 yards. With the 20 MOA base you will have to adjust your scope 20 MOA down to get it zeroed at 100 yards. This will leave you with 60 MOA of upward adjustment in your scope to zero in for long range.

johnrunner89
07-27-2010, 7:41 PM
Got it guys, thanks! I hope 60moa of upward adjustment can give me enough to lob a ..308 at 1000yds :)

aaronraby1
07-27-2010, 7:44 PM
yeah thats plenty. for my 300 win its only like 30 minutes, i dont remember the exact number. its even less on my 338 lapua. =)

johnrunner89
07-27-2010, 9:43 PM
Okay so I installed my base with some blue loctite and that went fine. But after I placed my Leupold QRW 30mm rings on I laid my optic (Millet TRS-1) on the rings and couldn't place the top part of the rings on it. The tops wouldn't fit at all. It was like trying to get a 1" on top of a 30mm. Any ideas why this is? I don't understand why the optic laid nicely on the bottom parts of the rings but not the top. :confused:

FLIGHT762
07-28-2010, 1:09 PM
I use the QRW rings. The top of the rings snap over the top of the scope. You have top push down on the ring a bit to get them to snap onto the scope.

In my 308's, I can get out to 1000 with 40 MOA.

AlliedArmory
07-28-2010, 3:05 PM
Okay so I installed my base with some blue loctite and that went fine. But after I placed my Leupold QRW 30mm rings on I laid my optic (Millet TRS-1) on the rings and couldn't place the top part of the rings on it. The tops wouldn't fit at all. It was like trying to get a 1" on top of a 30mm. Any ideas why this is? I don't understand why the optic laid nicely on the bottom parts of the rings but not the top. :confused:

You have to snap them on. You may put small scratches on the scope, but it's not really a big deal. Those are great rings, and that is the only downside that I see.

johnrunner89
07-29-2010, 1:12 AM
Ohh okay, thanks guys I will give it a try! I was worried I was going to have to return them and go with a different brand.

johnrunner89
07-30-2010, 1:11 PM
I mounted my optic today and the rings snapped on with just a bit of downward force, but it was no problem. Got the 20moa base installed, new optic and rings mounted, trigger adjusted down to 2lbs (Thanks to Bigbamboo for the help), now I can't wait to get some range time! Thanks everyone for the help!

swerv512
07-30-2010, 3:45 PM
i only need 35MOA to get to 1k yds. 60MOA is plenty for any 308.

uscbigdawg
08-07-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm at 34.5 MOA to a grand. You'll be fine.

When you're ready to swap to better rings, let me know. EGW's are awesome at a quality that is on par (frankly exceeds) Badger & Larue and since they are the actual manufacturer, you don't pay the big $$$.

We can hook you up on those.

Rich