PDA

View Full Version : Orange County Sheriffs race CCW stance

stealthmode
04-22-2006, 4:32 PM
I emailed Ralph Martin to get his stance on CCW's in Orange County and here is his reply through his campaign manager. I will not be voting for him.

Dear Scott, Commander Martin is a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment and believes in the right of most Americans to keep and bear arms. He also believes that there must be strong penalties for violent crime and the use of firearms in the commission of crime!

Commander Martin supports the issuance of CCWs to qualified residents without a criminal record if they can demonstrate a reasonable need for issuance. While he supports the concept of personal protection, each application for a CCW will be reviewed on a case by case basis to consider such things as the high risk profession of the applicant, recent crime victim status of the applicant, status on ongoing threats to the applicant and other pertinent issues surrounding the application and the applicant's peraonal situation. The key for issuance will be a "reasonable need."

We believe that the trend of issuance of CCWs by the OCSD has increased from when Sheriff Gates controlled the process and that will not change Commander Martin's administration.

I hope this has answered your questions and we hope that you will look closely at the qualifications for the position and the actualt law enforcement management experience of each of the candidates. When you look closely you will find that as Frank Mickadeit of the Orange County Register wrote, "Ralph Martin is probably the most experienced candidate to have EVER run for the Office of Sheriff in Orange County."

If you will provide me with a mailing address I will be glad to send you some campaign literature to provide you with more information to assist you in your evaluation.

Thank you for your question,

Dennis Werner, Campaign Manager

stealthmode
04-22-2006, 4:47 PM
Here is my reply to his letter I will post the response also.

Dennis,

Thank you for your quick reply. I have a couple more questions.

What is his stance on issuing a CCW when it comes to avid shooters who need to transport their guns and could be targets themselves?

Why should a person have to be a vicitm first to be able to protect themselves?

Thanks
Scott

Mesa Tactical
04-22-2006, 4:52 PM
Dear Scott, Commander Martin is a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment and believes in the right of most Americans to keep and bear arms.

WTF?

Commander Martin supports the issuance of CCWs to qualified residents without a criminal record if they can demonstrate a reasonable need for issuance.

http://www.okaygood.com/icons/thumbdown.gif

Rumpled
04-22-2006, 7:16 PM
We believe that the trend of issuance of CCWs by the OCSD has increased from when Sheriff Gates controlled the process and that will not change Commander Martin's administration.

WTF does he mean by this? He'll go back to Gates' crony only or continue with Carona's policies?

I have to be a victim first? Excuse the F outta me, but a lot of victims end up dead the first time.

Based upon this; Bill Hunt is still my man.

BTW - Thanks for the effort on communication and educating the rest of us.

stealthmode
04-23-2006, 9:14 PM
bump up....

linuxgunner
04-23-2006, 9:27 PM
Clearly this is not someone who wants our votes...

glen avon
04-24-2006, 6:20 AM
(...rigtht of most americans to own guns....)WTF?

that is absolutely correct. classic felons, crazy people, and a few other types have never historically had the RKBA and should not now. I would add certain violent misdemeanants, as well.

glen avon
04-24-2006, 6:21 AM
sounds like he will support Carona's trend. if that is so, then good deal. ask the CRPA or NRA rep for the skinny.

glen avon
04-24-2006, 6:23 AM
Clearly this is not someone who wants our votes...

he might think these questions are posed by antis, soccer moms, and the like (don't forget that at least one mayor in OC is REALLY anti-gun). his promise to continue the current, comparatively relaxed standard sounds more pro- than anti-gun to me.

Mesa Tactical
04-24-2006, 9:10 AM
that is absolutely correct. classic felons, crazy people, and a few other types have never historically had the RKBA and should not now. I would add certain violent misdemeanants, as well.

Yeah? So have you ever heard any American politican ever say he supports the right of most Americans to vote?

Why does the RKBA get different language?

And why should it be all right that a candidate's response is different depending on who he thinks he might be responding to? Isn't that sorta wishy-washy?

A pro-gun candidate has no fear of explicitly defending his pro-gun principles, no matter who he's talking to.

This is one reason I have never accepted we have pro-gun President.

glen avon
04-24-2006, 9:42 AM
Yeah? So have you ever heard any American politican ever say he supports the right of most Americans to vote?

Why does the RKBA get different language?

why don't you ask him? if he responds differently, ask him why. that would be interesting.

BTW, not everybody has the right to vote and I don't think they should, either. Hopefully, his use of the word "most" was an un fortunate word choice applying more to RKBA rather than shall-issue CCW.

And why should it be all right that a candidate's response is different depending on who he thinks he might be responding to? Isn't that sorta wishy-washy?

welcome to 2,000 years of politics

A pro-gun candidate has no fear of explicitly defending his pro-gun principles, no matter who he's talking to.

and no fear of losing his day job, either.

This is one reason I have never accepted we have pro-gun President.

politics can be discouraging.