PDA

View Full Version : food/snacks for your four-legged friend

sideshowhr
07-27-2010, 12:09 PM
do any of you save any parts and make meals out of those parts for your dog (or cat) after you've harvested an animal?

what about saving a bone or two for chewing?

is it even legal? the thought of making an elk liver supplement to dry food just passed my mind and i thought i'd ask.

Rusty_Buckhorn
07-27-2010, 1:20 PM
my dog would have to fight off my dad for my deer livers, and have to take me on for the hearts.

bearstatearmory.com
07-27-2010, 1:20 PM
I would strongly caution you against feeding raw food and kibble. I feed my dog raw food exclusivley, the problem is if you feed raw and kibble the raw digests much faster than the kibble, so the kibble acts like a cork in the intestine which allows the raw animal product to build up salmonela (sp?) and make your animal sick. If you want to switch your animal, cut the kibble "cold turkey" starve your dog for a day then swich immediately to raw.

sideshowhr
07-27-2010, 4:41 PM
do you mean raw food mixed with the kibble is a nono?

i would switch to all-raw, but i can't afford that (at least i don't think i can... never really looked into it). i guess i can alternate between the two with some kibble-downtime before giving her real meat.

my dog would have to fight off my dad for my deer livers, and have to take me on for the hearts.

forgot to add in my post "for people that do not eat these things themselves" :D

i like heart and liver myself, but thought i could give some (raw) to my dog. it's only natural for them, right? :)

bigboarstopper
07-27-2010, 5:49 PM
I give my dogs raw hog meat/livers/hearts/lungs/ears/ hooves /hides ect all the time, With and without dog food. Ive never in the 20+ dogs ive owned ever had an issue. Point to make though is that I usually feed my dogs dog food with water in the bowl. It softens the hard kibble and they dont get bloated.

bearstatearmory.com
07-27-2010, 5:56 PM
do you mean raw food mixed with the kibble is a nono?

i would switch to all-raw, but i can't afford that (at least i don't think i can... never really looked into it). i guess i can alternate between the two with some kibble-downtime before giving her real meat.

forgot to add in my post "for people that do not eat these things themselves" :D

i like heart and liver myself, but thought i could give some (raw) to my dog. it's only natural for them, right? :)

I don't feed my dog any kibble at all and was told never to mix the two. I don't feel the "dog food raw" food, I go to the grocery store and buy a pack of chicken thighs for my dog one night, then the next night he might get ground beef, then some salmon another night, eggs w/ shell, chicken liver/heart/kidney, etc.... The more you can alternate the foods, the better it will be fore the dog. We used to spend about $50 per month on kibble (the good stuff) and figured this would be about $60-$75 per month for the raw. I have a 130# mastiff and feed 2% of the dog's body weight, so he get's on average 2.5# per night.

bigboarstopper
07-28-2010, 4:07 PM
I don't feed my dog any kibble at all and was told never to mix the two. I don't feel the "dog food raw" food, I go to the grocery store and buy a pack of chicken thighs for my dog one night, then the next night he might get ground beef, then some salmon another night, eggs w/ shell, chicken liver/heart/kidney, etc.... The more you can alternate the foods, the better it will be fore the dog. We used to spend about $50 per month on kibble (the good stuff) and figured this would be about $60-$75 per month for the raw. I have a 130# mastiff and feed 2% of the dog's body weight, so he get's on average 2.5# per night.

My god. The dog eats better than me. The number one thing I look for in a dog food is that corn isnt the first ingredient. I try to buy the Diamond brand dogfood. Its specifically made for performance dogs and there is plenty of nutrients in it. I supliment if I need to with hog meat. I feed my dogs 1 cup to 1 and 1/2 cups of food a day. They stay thin and have energy to burn.. Salmon?? Really?? Thats a big no no. Your gonna kill your dog man! Where did you get the idea to do that?? http://www.dog-health-guide.org/salmonpoisoningindogs.html

GunGreg2107
07-28-2010, 5:09 PM
While I am not trying to convert anyone to a barf or raw diet for their animals, I strongly suggest being very careful when feeding any fish to your dogs. There are many parasites as well as mercury that must be considered. As far as the op I give my dogs all types of treats, ribs are great and can be nawed on for hours, I also give tripe and other organ meat in moderation.

CSACANNONEER
07-28-2010, 5:16 PM
Back in my college days, I ended up with some tainted venison which I ground up with good venison. I ended up with about 40 lbs of bad ground meat. My dog and my wolf ate well for over a month. Of course, I never had any meat or bone go to waste at all.