PDA

View Full Version : Movin' guns/ammo from car to range: CA

ned946
07-27-2010, 8:16 AM
Probably a silly question, but one I don't have a satisfactory answer to.

Lets say I want to shoot my .38 snub and my 9 mm semi with differing rounds (try different set-ups out). What's a clean and easy way to move 2 handguns and boxes of differing ammo? ...and stay w/in the CA laws (whatever they might be regarding this subject).

When (and *IF*) I get to the point of doing a CCW range test (San Diego) what is their expectation in moving the 2 guns and 100 rounds? :confused:

Rekrab
07-27-2010, 8:27 AM
Step 1: put the guns in a locked container
Step 2: put the guns in your car
Step 3: put the ammo in your car
Step 4: Drive to the range
Step 5: Go inside, shoot
Step 6: Repeat steps 1-3, drive home

:43:

Sorry for the pithy response, but I'm not seeing any reason you'd need to do anything special for what you're talking about.

IEShooter
07-27-2010, 8:34 AM
I only shoot at outdoor ranges, so I have no experience with an indoor place. If you're referring to an indoor range, you might just call them and ask what their protocol's are. My guess is they want you to let the folks at the front desk know you have a gun in your locked case and that you want to shoot.

Other than that, I just lock my unloaded guns (including long guns) in individual padded cases. I tend to load my magazines the night before as I have a lot of them. These go into a range bag.

All of this goes into the locked bed area of my truck (I have a locking bed cover).

Most outdoor ranges have rules about when you can approach the firing line and touch guns. Typically, they want you to unload your stuff for shooting while the range is active with people firing. This makes sense as when the range if cold and people are down range setting up targets, etc., you're not allowed to get withing 5-10 feet of the guns.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

John

ned946
07-27-2010, 8:53 AM
Step 5: Go inside, shoot
Step 6: Repeat steps 1-3, drive home

Yeah, I know, it's kinda a lame question. It's the waiting around inside the range (ironsights, Oceanside) for 30 min's for a spot.

So, maybe just 2 locked toolboxes? 1 for guns, 1 for ammo

Sorry, but the "cool" factor is very important! :cool::D:cool:

paul0660
07-27-2010, 8:56 AM
Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the
following:

(f) Members of any club or organization organized for the purpose
of practicing shooting at targets upon established target ranges,
whether public or private, while the members are using pistols,
revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the
person upon the target ranges, or transporting these firearms
unloaded when going to and from the ranges.

Depends on the range and your status as a member or not. Usually it is a good idea to lock the guns up in a container, and the ammo can be stored in the same container if not in the gun:

CHP faq:

I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?
California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.

shooting4life
07-27-2010, 9:07 AM
I usually start my string of fire from the parking lot akimbo style.

Burtonwurton
07-27-2010, 9:57 AM
I have one range bag for everything. I keep my guns in a locked gun case and throw everything else like ammo, targets, and eyes and ear protection in the bag. I'll only remove anything when I'm setting up in the range itself.

ned946
07-27-2010, 10:46 AM
I have one range bag for everything. I keep my guns in a locked gun case and throw everything else like ammo, targets, and eyes and ear protection in the bag. I'll only remove anything when I'm setting up in the range itself.

I like it.
Simple....but not so simple I couldn't figure it out myself! :rolleyes:

Thanks

Rekrab
07-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Yeah, depending on what I'm taking to the range, it's usually a locked back pack or locked range bag and an ammo box or ammo in the bag. There's no requirement to carry them separately. If your trunk locks and is inaccessible from the passenger compartment you can skip the lock requirement.

esskay
07-27-2010, 3:23 PM
If your trunk locks and is inaccessible from the passenger compartment you can skip the lock requirement.

Well, my understanding was the handgun still needs to be in a locked container once it leaves your trunk until you walk to your destination, doesn't it? (assuming you are in a public place)

Rekrab
07-27-2010, 3:41 PM
Not that I'm aware of. If you have PC that says otherwise I'd like to see it. The only requirement I'm aware of is that it is unloaded.

safewaysecurity
07-27-2010, 3:44 PM
What about when AB 1934 is passed? Won't it be illegal to transport it from your car to the range without breaking the law?

esskay
07-27-2010, 3:56 PM
Not that I'm aware of. If you have PC that says otherwise I'd like to see it. The only requirement I'm aware of is that it is unloaded.

Found it. See here:
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transporting

12026.1. (a) Section 12025 shall not be construed to prohibit any
citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or
is temporarily within this state, and who is not within the
excepted classes prescribed by Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this
code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code,
from transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that
the following applies to the firearm:
(1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the
vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than
the utility or glove compartment.
(2) The firearm is carried by the person directly to or from any
motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while carrying the
firearm, the firearm is contained within a locked container.
(c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure
container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key
lock, combination lock, or similar locking device.

12026.2(b) In order for a firearm to be exempted under subdivision
(a), while being transported to or from a place, the firearm shall
be unloaded, kept in a locked container, as defined in subdivision
(d), and the course of travel shall include only those deviations
between authorized locations as are reasonably necessary under the
circumstances.
(d) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure
container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, keylock,
combination lock, or similar locking device. The term "locked
container" does not include the utility or glove compartment of a
motor vehicle.

Rekrab
07-27-2010, 4:43 PM
Well this is interesting. I've always been told, by respectable members of this board, that transporting to and from your vehicle no lock was required. Reading some other parts of 12026 leads me to believe that this is the case, but is contradicted in other portions, specifically 12026.1.

Perhaps someone more savvy than me can chime in on this.