PDA

View Full Version : My first firearm related injury...

Suntory_Black
07-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Took my new Taurus PT92 to the range yesterday. Caught a ejected casing under my safety glasses. Could have been worse though.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m90/justynblack/Club%20Stogie/IMG_3109.jpg

armygunsmith
07-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Now you have a good story, and are relatively unscathed. It's better than getting hot machinegun brass down your shirt!

Sam
07-27-2010, 7:31 AM
I remember the first time I went shooting. I was about 3 or 4 and my dad and uncle took me to an indoor range. My dad was shooting and a spent casing flew backwards and landed in my uncle's shirt. He did a funny dance and as a little kid, I thought it was absolutely hilarious.

When it was my turn to shoot, for the very first time in my life, I took that Glock 19 and did a mag dump and it was awesome.

j1133s
07-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Took my new Taurus PT92 to the range yesterday. Caught a ejected casing under my safety glasses. Could have been worse though.

That's nothing!!! Man, I was expecting to see some real gore ... like a foot got blown off or something. Now, I must log onto youtube and search for MC crashes to satisfy.

xrMike
07-27-2010, 11:13 AM
How come you shaved your eyebrow recently? Just curious...

Suntory_Black
07-27-2010, 11:29 AM
How come you shaved your eyebrow recently? Just curious...

The flash makes it look shorter than they really are, they are actually the same length as my goatee. I keep the eybrows and unibrow trimmed cause they are huge and bushy.

aaronraby1
07-27-2010, 11:32 AM
same happened to me a couple weeks ago! then you cant do anything cause you dont want to wave a gun around but it burns!

Rekrab
07-27-2010, 11:42 AM
When someone asks, make sure you tell them you got hit by a 9mm but shrugged it off. You're only hiding half the truth >.>

ArkinDomino
07-27-2010, 11:51 AM
LoL. That's awesome. I'm gonna steal that and "shrug off" 9mms too.

shooting4life
07-27-2010, 11:56 AM
But you have to do it in a 9mm vs 45acp thread.

Caiden07
07-27-2010, 11:58 AM
You know what that is? You should change your safety glasses with side shields.

Rekrab
07-27-2010, 12:11 PM
LoL. That's awesome. I'm gonna steal that and "shrug off" 9mms too.

But you have to do it in a 9mm vs 45acp thread.

The same thing happened to my dad, except his was a .45ACP casing that cut a neat little crescent right above his eyebrow.

johnthomas
07-27-2010, 12:14 PM
Looks to me like your safety glasses prevented a worse injury. I wear my work safety glasses with side shields when I shoot. A few weeks ago, a case from my cz52 went over my head, down the back of my shirt. No injuries, just burned and got my attention. I hope that is your last injury. That one is about as bad as you want.

crackerman
07-27-2010, 2:21 PM
Scars are tattoos with better stories.

nemisis1400
07-27-2010, 2:28 PM
almost the same thing happened to me a while back, the casing was caught in the spot between my nose and inner eye. was literally 2mm away from toasting my eye.

NorCalMama
07-27-2010, 2:58 PM
Yeah, the knuckle on my thumb has a scar from when I shot a Glock I rented. I had my thumb too high and when I fired, and the slide came back, it took out a small chunk of skin... live and learn!

Suntory_Black
07-27-2010, 3:28 PM
Looks to me like your safety glasses prevented a worse injury. I wear my work safety glasses with side shields when I shoot. A few weeks ago, a case from my cz52 went over my head, down the back of my shirt. No injuries, just burned and got my attention. I hope that is your last injury. That one is about as bad as you want.

Actually it's the reverse, the safety glasses enabled this injury. The hot shell fell down between the glasses and my cheek and was held there pressed against my skin.

xrMike
07-27-2010, 8:06 PM
Actually it's the reverse, the safety glasses enabled this injury. The hot shell fell down between the glasses and my cheek and was held there pressed against my skin.Good thing you weren't shooting a .45. That hot shell would have sliced right through your safety glasses, your eye socket, and out your right ear! ;)

MasterYong
07-27-2010, 10:01 PM
I didn't realize brass got so hot. I've either got a tolerance or somehow some guns get brass hotter than others. When my buddies and I go shoot I try to catch the brass in my hands so I don't have to scour the ground for it (catch my buddy's brass, not mine lol). It's a little hot but not "burn yourself" hot.

RIFLE casings on the other hand, get freakin' HOT!

ETA: I'm catching 9mm and .45ACP