PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff Baca saves the shire by throwing evil guns into Mount Doom

CCWFacts
07-26-2010, 6:23 PM
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department will destroy 8,300 confiscated weapons Tuesday at a steel mill in Rancho Cucamonga.

The annual effort is known as Project Isaiah. The stash of weapons taken from criminals will be dumped from a series of tractor-trailers into the smelter at the Tamco Steel Mill (http://www.tamcosteel.com/), said Deputy Bill Brauberger, who described the event as a celebration for the Sheriff’s Department.

“It’s pretty exciting and very visual,” said Brauberger, who attended the event last year.http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0133f2919fa9970b-800wi

The Tamco Steel Mill has hosted the event for the last 17 years, he said. donates its furnace, equipment and personnel to convert the weapons into rebar and will allocate the steel from the melted weapons to be used for upgrades to freeways and bridges in California, Nevada and Arizona.]

LA Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/07/la-county-sheriffs-department-to-destroy-8300-weapons-seized-from-criminals.html)

It is actually reasonable for them to recycle confiscated guns, rather than selling them, because they could very likely be damaged and unsafe. What I'm objecting to is how the sheriff is portraying himself as some great hero for doing this.

I also am very concerned that there may be an incident of a prohibited person (someone with a misdemeanor DV conviction) handling a firearm in that photo.

Edited: mods, I messed up the subject line. If someone could fix it that would be good. Thanks.

CHS
07-26-2010, 6:38 PM
I changed the topic for you, but you can also do it yourself.

See the "edit" button? ;)

POLICESTATE
07-26-2010, 6:40 PM
Too bad Sheriff Baca didn't jump in with the guns, I'm assuming he's playing the part of Gollum after all.

wildhawker
07-26-2010, 6:43 PM
Stark contrast with this December 13, 1949 story in the LA Times (https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BzuDXQ308KnoMDdkNjhhODctMDRkNS00ZWQ5L WJiNzktMmMwNWQxZDE3Zjg5&hl=en) about the upcoming cash and carry auction the Los Angeles Sheriff was going to hold for all sorts of items - including shotguns. No DROS, no 10 day wait, no inspection for suitability, just old-fashioned governmental revenue generation.

Shotgun Man
07-26-2010, 6:44 PM
Regarding your thread title, I'm not sure of the references, but I like it.

Sheriff Baca saves the shire by throwing evil guns into Mount Doom

This is our money he is pissing away.

The gun may be unsafe, so we melt it down? You might as well cut down all the elm trees becauase they may have Dutch Elm disease.

Kerplow
07-26-2010, 6:49 PM
if that was my steel mill i would fill the smelter with some bright red kool-aid get some fog machines going and start my own gun shop:43:

POLICESTATE
07-26-2010, 6:55 PM
Regarding your thread title, I'm not sure of the references, but I like it.

This is our money he is pissing away.

The gun may be unsafe, so we melt it down? You might as well cut down all the elm trees becauase they may have Dutch Elm disease.

Or better yet, melt down all the city vehicles because as we all know vehicles can cause accidents, injury and death. Hell they do it EVERY DAY.

sbrady@Michel&Associates
07-26-2010, 7:07 PM
Stark contrast with this December 13, 1949 story in the LA Times (https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BzuDXQ308KnoMDdkNjhhODctMDRkNS00ZWQ5L WJiNzktMmMwNWQxZDE3Zjg5&hl=en) about the upcoming cash and carry auction the Los Angeles Sheriff was going to hold for all sorts of items - including shotguns. No DROS, no 10 day wait, no inspection for suitability, just old-fashioned governmental revenue generation.

But Brandon, remember, Mayor Villaraigosa says that LA is safer now than it was in the 1950s, and he only speaks the truth. So those auctions must have been what was causing all that crime back then. Good thing those stopped.

rsandovaljr
07-26-2010, 7:11 PM
To bad it didn't read guns melt down to make more guns

wildhawker
07-26-2010, 7:14 PM
But Brandon, remember, Mayor Villaraigosa says that LA is safer now than it was in the 1950s, and he only speaks the truth. So those auctions must have been what was causing all that crime back then. Good thing those stopped.

:rofl2:

Full Clip
07-26-2010, 7:32 PM
LA Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/07/la-county-sheriffs-department-to-destroy-8300-weapons-seized-from-criminals.html)

Awwwww, damn, they done destroyed Hannibal's Mini!!!!

http://donegalbrianward.com/hannibal.jpg

Legasat
07-26-2010, 7:45 PM
Time to melt down Sheriff Baca

Shotgun Man
07-26-2010, 7:51 PM
donates its furnace, equipment and personnel to convert the weapons into rebar and will allocate the steel from the melted weapons to be used for upgrades to freeways and bridges in California, Nevada and Arizona.]

Better not let the Board of Supervisors know some of that steel is going to Arizona!

wildhawker
07-26-2010, 7:58 PM
It's a good thing all those thousands of dollars of weapons are being melted down for $500 of rebar rather than auctioning them off in lots for resale, or given to the poor for self defense.

I think I might call Tamco and get the certs on this batch to follow it out to the project(s).

dantodd
07-26-2010, 8:04 PM
This is one of those situations where a bit of PR on our side could go a long way. At an average of $200/gun those would fetch the city over 1.6 million dollars.

It would also be nice to see the politicians in AZ and NV refuse the re-bar for any projects in their states because they were an affront to their strong belief in the second amendment.

Shotgun Man
07-26-2010, 8:06 PM
This is one of those situations where a bit of PR on our side could go a long way. At an average of $200/gun those would fetch the city over 1.6 million dollars.

It would also be nice to see the politicians in AZ and NV refuse the re-bar for any projects in their states because they were an affront to their strong belief in the second amendment.

HaHa. I like that one.

How about a protest at the Board of Supervisors where we decry how the're melting down our guns and giving them to AZ? Kinda like a two-prong approach that entices some pro-illegal immigrant folks?:)

CCWFacts
07-26-2010, 8:08 PM
Too bad Sheriff Baca didn't jump in with the guns, I'm assuming he's playing the part of Gollum after all.

No, he's not taking the part of Gollum. The Gollum character was sad, corrupted, and yet sympathetic. Gollum was an ordinary Hobbit, perhaps with a weaker character, who got entrapped and entangled by forces of tremendous power and evil. Gollum was a victim. Not completely blameless, but still, a victim.

In contrast, I can't find any shred of sympathy for a wife-beating Scientologist who has become wealthy from the taxpayers, who is so powerful that people are afraid to even run against him, and who uses the CCW issuance system to maintain his power base.

It's a good thing all those thousands of dollars of weapons are being melted down for $500 of rebar rather than auctioning them off in lots for resale, or given to the poor for self defense.

I think I might call Tamco and get the certs on this batch to follow it out to the project(s).

Give them a call! You can find more information on their Project Isaiah information page (http://www.tamcosteel.com/comrel_prjisa.html)!

Apparently they provide this service for quite a few departments in the region.

They appear to be owned by some Japanese steel companies, so they won't have any reason to care about American traditions of freedom and self-defense.

8-psez8BXZk

trashman
07-26-2010, 8:10 PM

Right on!!

--Neill

pitchbaby
07-26-2010, 8:54 PM
Sheriff Baca... if you and your fellow community leaders don't like Arizona so much... just sell them the guns and let them shoot themselves... The guns off LA streets and revenue in the coffers... problem solved!

Sheesh... some people can be really thick!

pullnshoot25
07-26-2010, 9:22 PM
I loathe these stupid buybacks, especially when my hands are tied and I can't walk away with more cool guns.

Richie Caketown
07-26-2010, 10:36 PM
i find it funny to read that the melted down guns from LA go to help out AZ and NV roads lol

Roadrunner
07-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Is it possible to melt down the rebar and turn it back into guns ? That would be great if someone from Nv and Az, did that.

Baca is a tool and I'm glad there's 300 miles between him and I.

BigDogatPlay
07-27-2010, 6:12 AM
Three things come to mind watching that video....

1) The mayor of Rancho's comment about this meaning something to the criminals..... yeah, it means, "Day-um I gotta go steal me another shooter".

2) If the sheriff was truly concerned about the high public safety risk posed by firearms, he'dunload his county issued 92 and toss it into the shredder then and there.

3) I really like how the sheriff appears to the muzzle the cranium of one of the honorable council members with the first rifle he picks up to play show and tell with.

Paper Boy
07-27-2010, 6:30 AM
8-psez8BXZk

If you look at the video at 5:40 is that a AT-4? WTF

ironpegasus
07-27-2010, 7:37 AM
If it's not an AT-4, it's a Javelin. Where do these criminals shop? I hope they have a rental that I can try on their range...

CCWFacts
07-27-2010, 9:12 AM
Three things come to mind watching that video....

1) The mayor of Rancho's comment about this meaning something to the criminals..... yeah, it means, "Day-um I gotta go steal me another shooter".

I noticed that too. He's saying, "this will send a message to the criminals: if you come here, we'll not only take away your gun, but we'll melt it down!" That's ridiculous. Criminals know perfectly well that they will lose their guns and never get them back when they are arrested. Melting them down in some high-profile way is like adding an umlaut to make it more bad-***: "You won't just be arrested, you'll be... ärrested! Can anyone imagine a criminal saying, "I'm scared to go to Rancho because I'm scared of my gat getting melted!"

I don't think criminals are generally deeply attached to their guns. They it's pretty easy for them to get more guns and they have a lot of other more pressing concerns.

Willy Mane
07-27-2010, 11:13 AM
What a joke.

IrishPirate
07-27-2010, 11:32 AM

They appear to be owned by some Japanese steel companies, so they won't have any reason to care about American traditions of freedom and self-defense.

Would be an easy sell:

"Sheriff decides to forego at least $1.6million dollars in revenue and instead opts to melt guns for re-bar that won't even be used entirely in his district, or even in California, while providing an offshore Japanese company with hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars in tax write offs in an attempt to make the streets safe from guns that are already in police custody..."

Roadrunner
07-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Nothing like taking a Bible verse out of context.

The Mountain of the Lord

1 This is what Isaiah son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem:

2 In the last days
the mountain of the LORD's temple will be established
as chief among the mountains;
it will be raised above the hills,
and all nations will stream to it.

3 Many peoples will come and say,
"Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD,
to the house of the God of Jacob.
He will teach us his ways,
so that we may walk in his paths."
The law will go out from Zion,
the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.

4 He will judge between the nations
and will settle disputes for many peoples.
They will beat their swords into plowshares
and their spears into pruning hooks.
Nation will not take up sword against nation,
nor will they train for war anymore.

5 Come, O house of Jacob,
let us walk in the light of the LORD.

This verse is a prophecy about the end times when Christ returns and deals with war and crime. Until then, we need firearms to defend ourselves, but I will use a plow or pruning hook if necessary.

1911su16b870
07-27-2010, 11:43 AM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0133f2919fa9970b-800wi

flash hider on a mini...tsk...tsk..tsk...what a waste melting down marketable firearms...

stormy_clothing
07-27-2010, 11:52 AM
20 bux says nothing nice goes into the flames - certainly not a mini 14, and hopefully not any weapons illegally siezed.

Flintlock Tom
07-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Tomorrow's headline:
"The city council today announced that it would be burning 1.6 million dollars of confiscated drug money to ensure that is never again used to buy drugs."

Yeah, makes sense to me, too.

Big Jake
07-27-2010, 12:00 PM

We will have to change his name to "Sheriff Precious" LOL!:eek:

Roadrunner
07-27-2010, 12:10 PM
8-psez8BXZk

This video is so full of fail that I don't know where to begin.

Dhena81
07-27-2010, 1:07 PM
This weapon is not on the CA approved safe list lol.

dfletcher
07-27-2010, 3:03 PM
I'll also bet that any guns picked up in their buy back programs are melted - with no previous effort having gone into finding the rightful owner. What would be interesting to try is this - buy a crappy little handgun through an FFL. At the next available buy back have a friend turn it in and get their $$$. Wait and see if the sheriff's office calls and says "good news Roscoe, we got your gat back - fill out an LEGR and it's yours". Since an LEGR is $23.00 to the state and they're getting property back to its rightful owner this should be expected, right? :rolleyes:

After the gun's been turned in, if you don't get a call then call yourself and ask if they have it. Wonder what they'd say and wonder what the result would be if you became a persistent PITA and said "look, I know you've got my gun - give it back.

wildhawker
07-27-2010, 3:25 PM
Called Tamco - the officer handling the press/PR for this is buried, hope to speak with him tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted.

Mulay El Raisuli
07-28-2010, 6:21 AM
Tomorrow's headline:
"The city council today announced that it would be burning 1.6 million dollars of confiscated drug money to ensure that is never again used to buy drugs."

Yeah, makes sense to me, too.

LOL! Yes, the 'logic' is exactly the same.

Called Tamco - the officer handling the press/PR for this is buried, hope to speak with him tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted.

Oh, yes. Please do.

The Raisuli

jaymz
07-28-2010, 6:43 AM
Four pages and no :dupe: smiley?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=325477

dreamerof1
07-28-2010, 8:53 AM
7:20 - Nice trigger discipline there, Sheriff.

Wherryj
07-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Or better yet, melt down all the city vehicles because as we all know vehicles can cause accidents, injury and death. Hell they do it EVERY DAY.

We also know that official vehicles in SLO transport people who are prone to unlawful search and seizure. They should have fewer constitutional violations if all of the vehicles in the county are rendered into slag.

bjl333
07-28-2010, 2:52 PM
I wonder how hard they try to reunite the guns with their REAL owners !!! I taught I saw an O/U in that pile of guns. I am sure a lot of those are stolen and a police report filed. Even if they came from out of state, they still need to track down the owner of the firearm.

Muzz
07-28-2010, 4:44 PM
How could this have worked? According to Rosie O'Donnell 9-11 was the first time (and presumably ONLY time) that fire melted steel.

Silverlake223
07-28-2010, 9:02 PM
Come on Lee... I will buy that Mini! County is broke right? :eek: