PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Cali, need some advice please

Velocity
07-26-2010, 5:01 PM
Hello all, Newbie here at Calguns (very active on other forums), moving to Cali from Florida very soon... very experienced, very well trained, Florida CCW holder, responsible adult, etc. I own several guns and carry concealed every day here in Florida (H&K P30, Custom S&W 3913, Ruger LCP, S&W 442, Para Ordnance Carry 9).

Need some advice, and thank you in advance...

1. Can I bring my guns with me when I move? Is there paperwork to do?

2. Can I bring a shotgun with me?

3. Can I bring ammo with me? Is there a limit?

4. I heard my Ruger LCP is on the no-no list, is this an issue for me bringing it into Cali?

5. My H&K P30 has 15 rnd mags, and I am already ordering 10 rnd mags to replace them, I believe that's OK...

In other words, what can I do and what can't I do in terms of bringing my guns and ammo with me. If it matters, I am moving to Orange County.

I appreciate any and all sage advice I can get, and look forward to becoming an active and contributing member of this community.

Thanks,

Martin

Cyc Wid It
07-26-2010, 5:06 PM
Yes, bring your guns. http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991.php
Yes, unless it's got features prohibited by the flow chart (found at the top of every page).
Shouldn't be a problem if it's regular ammo.
You can bring off-list guns into California (one of the ways they make their way here). The roster only applies to new purchases made from California that are not PPTs. People will probably encourage you to "buy more new guns to try that you can conveniently sell for a markup if you happen to not like them."
That's fine, and you can disassemble the 15 round ones and keep them for use outside of CA or sell them disassembled.

I don't think I messed anything up, if I did I'm sure someone will straighten it out.

stitchnicklas
07-26-2010, 5:08 PM
your ccw is worthless in california at the moment,take your high caps apart and store them,shotgun should be good if standard kind,buy all the nice stuff you can before you move because california is a no goodie zone

and welcome to calguns

Cyc Wid It
07-26-2010, 5:09 PM
^^^ this is true, forgot to point out the CCW part. Also, if you own any AR pattern rifles, make sure you check the appropriate chart for those as well.

*edit* also be sure to transport your firearms correctly if you're going to be driving

CSACANNONEER
07-26-2010, 5:10 PM
Find out what off roster handguns are in high demand in Ca and invest in a few. Once you get here and have sent in your personal importer forum, you may decide that you don't want them. If that happens, you can generally sell them for a premium in CA. If you happen to find a good deal on a COP, keep me in mind if you decide to get rid of it after you get here.

Quiet
07-26-2010, 5:11 PM
1. Yes. Within 30 days of becoming a resident of CA, you have to register any handguns you bring with you to CA. You accomplish this by sending in a New Resident Handgun Ownership Report (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf) with $19 per handgun to CA DOJ BOF.

2. Yes.

3. Yes. No limit on the amount. Just can't bring incendiary/explosive/tacer ammo.

4. No. It's legal for you to bring non approved listed handguns, so bring more non-approved listed handguns.

5. You are good to go. If you dissassemble the 15 round magazines into parts, it is legal for you to bring the parts to CA, just do not assemble them while in CA. Get 10 round magazines for use in CA.

Velocity
07-26-2010, 5:12 PM
Thanks for the prompt replies.

So the basics are:

I can bring in whatever I currently own (so go out and buy whatever I want now before I move to Cali)...

I can bring in my 9mm and .38 ammo no problem...

Is that about right?

Also... forgot to ask this in my first post...

Once I arrive, can I simply go a range to shoot, or are there restrictions on that?

And again, thank you...

Martin

Fjold
07-26-2010, 5:13 PM
You can bring any guns that you have except for "Assault weapons" Follow the AW guide on the main page for guidance there. Look also there for the handgun AW characteristics; threaded barrels, shrouded barrels, a detachable magazine in a location other than in the pistol grip, etc are also included.

Handguns not on the Roster of safe handguns may be brought into the state with no problems as long as they're not AWs. You have to register all handguns with the CA DOJ within 60 days using this form http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf you have to send a check with that for $19/handgun.

No magazines over 10 rounds may be imported.

semiauto shotguns with revolving cylinders or detachable magazines are prohibited.

Cyc Wid It
07-26-2010, 5:16 PM
You can go to the range. Depending on where you're going to end up, there should be both indoor and outdoor ranges in your area. Most ranges won't allow rapid fire/drawing from a holster and they'll probably check your ammo. There's a trusty map around here somewhere... Just make sure you transport your handguns unloaded in a locked container.

Velocity
07-26-2010, 5:16 PM
Yes, I know my Florida CCW is worthless in Cali, and I know the process to get a carry permit is insane, but I'll do what I have to do... I believe I have to be resident 6 months before I can even apply....

So many questions to navigate... I look forward to getting to know some of you here better as time goes on and as I move to the OC...

Appreciate all the advice very much, don't want to screw up even accidentally...

Martin

Fjold
07-26-2010, 5:17 PM
You can bring all the ammo that you want although tracers are not allowed.

You can go to any range and shoot. subject to the ranges rules, no government issues outside of locking your guns up when travelling through school zones

Crusader
07-26-2010, 5:19 PM
BTW, Welcome to Calguns. Great group of guys and gals on this site. I have learned so much, and met so many great people here.

And I feel it has to be said... STAY AWAY FROM HERE!!! This state is the Bubonic Plague of gun laws and anti-Constitutional thought.

Velocity
07-26-2010, 5:20 PM
Does anyone have a link to the Roster?

Thanks,

Martin

Velocity
07-26-2010, 5:22 PM
Crusader:

I've heard that, but perhaps one by one we can make some positive changes...

I am moving there for business, so it's not an option for me... oh well... at least (I think) I can keep my guns at home, get to a range, and one day get to apply for a carry permit...

Martin

Diesel-Gunner
07-26-2010, 5:23 PM
BTW, Welcome to Calguns. Great group of guys and gals on this site. I have learned so much, and met so many great people here.

And I feel it has to be said... STAY AWAY FROM HERE!!! This state is the Bubonic Plague of gun laws and anti-Constitutional thought.

Couldnt have said it better myself.... Welcome

Cyc Wid It
07-26-2010, 5:24 PM
The roster:
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Also, if you want to buy more handguns once you get to CA, you will need to take this multiple question test (unless you are exempt, exemptions are listed):
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo.php

Crusader
07-26-2010, 5:29 PM
Crusader:

I've heard that, but perhaps one by one we can make some positive changes...

I am moving there for business, so it's not an option for me... oh well... at least (I think) I can keep my guns at home, get to a range, and one day get to apply for a carry permit...

Martin

Very good point, hence this website. I will say that in all my time in other states, I have never met a group of people so passionate about and dedicated to owning, preserving, and using firearms as the members of this forum... probably because we know what we have to lose and so enjoy it and appreciate it all the more.

Velocity
07-26-2010, 5:34 PM
Hmmm.... am I doing this right?

I searched the Roster (thank you for that Cyc Wid It)... and searched for my H&K P30, and it's NOT on the list that comes up... does that mean it's prohibited?

Josh3239
07-26-2010, 5:36 PM
Prohibited from selling to non-LE if you are an FFL. The handgun roster is only for FFL dealers. The rifles list is a flat out ban.

Cyc Wid It
07-26-2010, 5:36 PM
Yes, off-list HK's are pretty desirable guns in these parts. Maybe you should buy another before you come... you could PPT it to anybody for a pretty penny.

PPT is a face to face (split PPT's no longer allowed I think?) transaction that occurs at a FFL. The transfer fee is $35 and allows you to buy/sell guns that are not on the roster to "regular' citizens.

bjl333
07-26-2010, 5:37 PM
Welcome !!! Go take a poll to see what off rostered handguns people wants before you move over here !! :D You'll be helping to infuse some new blood ... :innocent:

Josh3239
07-26-2010, 5:38 PM
Welcome !!! Go take a poll to see what off rostered handguns people wants before you move over here !! :D You'll be helping to infuse some new blood ... :innocent:

+1, I'd really like that new Chiappa 1911 .22LR handgun!

Velocity
07-26-2010, 5:43 PM
So if I import an off-Roster handgun, is there any chance ever that it would be permitted under a concealed carry permit (assuming I get one one day)...?

Just went through the Roster and there are SO MANY guns not on there that are great guns... I may just have to go buy a bunch more before I move there... ;)

M

Josh3239
07-26-2010, 5:45 PM
M, the roster is only for dealers selling or transferring handguns!!!!!!! It is not about ownership, carrying, usage, or any of that. It restricts dealers not us. You can import whatever handgun you'd like as long as it doesn't meet the definition of an AW.

And if you want to buy a Chiappa 1911 .22LR and sell it to me later sometime after you move here it is completely legal and you will be rewarded with a CCW...

Okay I cannot back the CCW part up but it is legal ;)

yakmon
07-26-2010, 5:46 PM
I don't think he would have much problem selling his unwanted XDm's

Velocity
07-26-2010, 5:47 PM
So if I happened to go any buy a few extra H&K P30s for example (or a Chiappa 1911, let's say), and moved to Cali and decided I no longer wanted one or two of them, I am allowed to sell them privately to someone? Or do I need to go through an FFL?

Josh3239
07-26-2010, 5:49 PM
PPT - Private Party Transfer. Two people meet at an FFL dealer and you give your ID to the dealer for about 2 minutes and the other party fills out the paperwork and then comes back in 10 days.

Cyc Wid It
07-26-2010, 5:49 PM
Unless it's C&R you have to go thru an FFL. And I wouldn't sell say, 10 of them in a month. I believe you're not supposed to sell more than 5 or 6 a year, but people report varying degrees of legal interest on their transactions.

Josh3239
07-26-2010, 5:51 PM
In CA, all handguns go through FFLs.

Velocity
07-26-2010, 5:52 PM
Okay I cannot back the CCW part up but it is legal ;)

Had me going there for a moment.... nice one...

Didn't think so, but I might definitely do some serious shopping at my local gun shop before moving to Cali...

Now if my moving truck gets stopped and inspected it might look like someone was planning for a small war...

Let's see, 2 couches, kitchen table, 6 chairs, 147 handguns, 250,000 rounds of ammo....

Velocity
07-26-2010, 5:54 PM
You guys are great, awesome advice, and I look forward to getting more involved on here... keep you all posted, and don't hesitate to add any advice, insight, or wish list (lol)...

Martin

Josh3239
07-26-2010, 5:55 PM
Heh, I tried :D

The thing about buying and selling a bunch of handguns is you don't want to get on the ATF's radar. I don't believe there is an actual minimum set in stone that if you cross you are considered dealing without a lisense but you should defiently keep that in mind that you do not have a lisence to deal and shouldn't try to make a business out of it. If you decide to pick up some handguns and later sell them, that's cool. Just don't deal without an FFL.

bjl333
07-26-2010, 6:01 PM
you don't want to get on the ATF's radar.

Want you to help infuse blood here, but don't want you to loose blood of your own !! :eek:

Greg-Dawg
07-26-2010, 6:10 PM
Welcome to Cali. Don't forget to be active in fighting for your 2A rights. Just make sure you register that Hk P30.

My condolences, by the way...but the weather is great.

not4un
07-26-2010, 8:44 PM
And if you want a CCW you need to live in the right places in CA there are several counties that are pretty much shall issue

Velocity
07-28-2010, 4:34 PM
And if you want a CCW you need to live in the right places in CA there are several counties that are pretty much shall issue

My business requires I live in the OC... I hear it's not quite 'shall issue'...

Hope I can find some good advice and help when I apply...

Martin

ZRX61
07-28-2010, 6:03 PM
and one day get to apply for a carry permit...

Martin

In Orange County????

hawk81
07-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Don't do it, you'll hate it here.

puropuro
07-29-2010, 11:52 AM
The OC is a great place to live and work.....it's just horrible to be a gun owner here/there. Can't you live "close" to OC in a neighboring community?

bombadillo
07-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Cheap off list pocket guns like the LCP, smith airweights that we can't get, Kel-tecs and others can bring a good penny if you ever decide you don't want them too.

bruss01
07-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Velocity...

I went through kinda fast so I apologize if someone already covered it, but make sure your handguns are unloaded and in a locked case for transport (any time they are in a vehicle). Also I did not see anyone specifically mention the Judge - don't know if you listed every gun you own, but they are illegal due to being a shotgun with a rotating ammunition cylinder. Your CCW makes a nice memento, you probably ought to frame it and put it on the mantle because it is useless here. The ranges here may be different from what you are used to... the one's I am familiar with will give you an inspection before going out onto the range to make sure you are all in order, and yes use a gun case there, don't walk in with it tucked in your pants for instance. Welcome to CA... we are working to make it more like FL but it will take some time.

Aldemar
07-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Welcome to CalGuns & California!

Remember, you are coming from the state that was the vanguard of the shall-issue movement to one where there are so many laws against gun owners it's darn near impossible to stay legal no matter what you do. Your CCW should be OK to transfer to a non-resident version ( I have one) so you can still carry in states that have reciprocity with Florida.

If you are in doubt about anything, ask!!!! There are laws against things you may have taken for granted in the past.

Frankly, if it was me, I would stay in Florida.

bruss01
07-29-2010, 1:09 PM
147 handguns

Ok, I had no idea you had so many handguns... be sure to check them all!!

There is a particular sort - a Walther I think? - that has a threaded muzzle and for some crazy reason it has been classed as an assault weapon. Yes strange but true.

ZX-10R
07-29-2010, 1:20 PM
Think hard about moving here...There are tons of laws that will literally make you scream. That is my advice.

I stay here for a great company...My family is cool with moving to NY/ NJ if I could find a similar job.

Just saying. Welcome if the decision is done. Do your research before moving here regarding your weapons...I sold a WASR for $300 because I was in a rush before I moved back down.

Rivers
07-29-2010, 2:43 PM
A small item about your P30 mags: when they are disassembled, they are no longer magazines. They are magazine kits. Kits are fully legal to bring into CA. You just cannot assemble them back into standard capacity magazines until the CA law is tossed. You can bring in any magazine that has a capacity of no more than 10 rounds.

Thinking about the six month wait until you can even apply for a CCW (and this isn't unique to CA, btw), isn't that just begging for a judicial challenge?

echo1
07-29-2010, 2:50 PM
Welcome and good luck on your move. Be safe on the road. PAX

ghost
07-29-2010, 3:32 PM
read the flow charts and laws posted here on the forum before you bring your toys here.whatever you cant bring to cali just sell locally.i just left the prk and dont plan on moving back.

Sinister_1
07-29-2010, 3:43 PM
DON'T

Oceanbob
07-29-2010, 4:24 PM
When you hit town and get settled message me on a Private Message and I will treat you to some time at:

On Target Range here in Orange County.

Welcome to Californistan.....tongue-in-cheek on what to bring:

Springfield XDM .40 with plenty of 'rebuild kits'. (Magazines that have been taken apart and placed in baggies)

XDM .45; Any and all HK products like the P 30, Ruger LCP, Generation 4 Glocks, Glock rebuild kits. Perhaps some off list SIGS..etc..

Oh..and bring me a Glock 18..hehehe..(Joke)

Drive safe.....Bob

MarCay08
08-02-2010, 9:27 AM
first off, WELCOME to CA!! Now, I would like to place 1 order for an XDM .40, black with stainless slide, 1 XDM .45 in the same combo!! :D:D:D

i would be willing to pay all fees necessary for it to be registered and transfered... :):)

and by the way, when you get here, try NOT TO SELL MORE THAN 5/6 handguns per YEAR.. apparently DOJ frowns frowns on that.. you can buy as many rifles as you want, but you are limited to 1 handgun/30 days..(when u purchase guns here in ca) oh, and you can however buy as many guns as you want from private parties... are u scrfeaming yet?!?! again, welcome to ca!! (pm me on my orders..hehehe)