PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes a 'firearm'?

raycm2
07-26-2010, 4:58 PM
Just curious: For a rifle like an AR, if the model/serial number was on the upper rather than the lower and the two were not assembled - and not on the list - would the lower be legal with a pistol grip? Would the upper be legal without the lower and no evil features attached? I tried search but couldn't find anything. I know an AR stripped lower is illegal with a pistol grip and without a BB, but the serial number is on the lower for an AR.

CSACANNONEER
07-26-2010, 5:01 PM
Just curious: For a rifle like an AR, if the model/serial number was on the upper rather than the lower and the two were not assembled - and not on the list - would the lower be legal with a pistol grip? Would the upper be legal without the lower and no evil features attached? I tried search but couldn't find anything. I know an AR stripped lower is illegal with a pistol grip and without a BB, but the serial number is on the lower for an AR.

FUD! A stripped AR lower with a PG and no BB is not illegal in any way. What makes you think it is?

As far as your question goes, AR lowers are considered firearms whether they have a SN on them or not! A SN on an AR upper does not make it a firearm at all.

CHS
07-26-2010, 5:41 PM
AR receivers with pistol grips are perfectly legal.

AR RIFLES with pistol grips are perfectly legal, in fact. If they're rimfire.

Josh3239
07-26-2010, 5:44 PM
Lots of firearm parts have serial numbers on them, ever heard "parts matching"?

CSDGuy
07-26-2010, 5:55 PM
Well, a "Firearm" isn't this:
http://www.fugly.com/media/videodir/Funny/thmb/TN_light_his_arm_on_fire_while_sleeping.JPG

thayne
07-26-2010, 5:59 PM
With an AR the lower receiver is the firearm. It doesnt need a bullet button unless the upper warrants it. IE center fire upper with evil features.

CSACANNONEER
07-26-2010, 6:18 PM
With an AR the lower receiver is the firearm. It doesnt need a bullet button unless the upper warrants it. IE center fire semi automatic upper with evil features.

Fixed it. There are centerfire uppers which are not semi auto.

Munk
07-27-2010, 12:02 AM
A firearm in california is anything vaguely shaped like a gun.

For example, Extending your index finger fully while leaving your remaining fingers curled up would be considered a handgun. If you don't have the proper FFL, they'll consider it a zip-gun since you've manufactured your own handgun that isn't a commercially produced model.

The part that's drossed is what they consider to be the "gun", however specific definitions (other than Handgun/longgun) don't NECESSARILY trigger until you've assembled it into a working firearm. (be wary of specific constructive possession issues and follow the AW flowchart).