PDA

View Full Version : taser legality questions

KING_PALM
07-26-2010, 4:06 PM
Yes i searched.
can i carry a taser ( m26 / x26 ) on me concealed?
as far as i know taser are almost unregulated.
if some one could provide me with section code or something telling me i cannot carry or own one that would be sweet.
Thanks in advanced.

Nick Justice
07-26-2010, 5:26 PM
People v. Heffner (1977) 70 Cal. App. 3d 643. This case ruled that Taser in question (a model TF-1) was a firearm, because a small charge of smokeless powder propelled the contacts out of the barrels. So, since it is was a firearm, the violation of PC 12031(a) was upheld.

If your Taser works on a different propulsion principle, you might get a different ruling...but don't count on it.

pinwheels
07-26-2010, 5:44 PM
Current model Tasers use compressed nitrogen as the propellant, specifically for the reason NJ cites. They are NOT firearms now.

KING_PALM
07-26-2010, 5:51 PM
Current model Tasers use compressed nitrogen as the propellant, specifically for the reason NJ cites. They are NOT firearms now.

based on this is it no longer in violatin of 12031 to conceal?
i am really thinking about getting a taser since i cant carry a gun.

Cpl. Haas
07-26-2010, 8:51 PM
The current TASER models (M18L/M26, X26C, and C2) all use compressed nitrogen to fire the darts, not gunpowder. Since there is no combustion, they are not classified as firearms and can be carried open or concealed in most places without a permit.

Courtrooms, airports, K-12 schools, etc. are still off-limits.

TURBOELKY
07-26-2010, 8:58 PM
those things are more expensive than most pistols! They are sweet though!:D I wouldn't mind having one for personal/family protection outside of the home

KING_PALM
07-26-2010, 11:06 PM
looks like i will be purchasing a taser.

if i can carry one then it will be purchased.

Curtis
07-26-2010, 11:36 PM
I have a C2 because it doesn't look like z gun.

Check out their site. It has some very good information on the laws.

sandwich
07-27-2010, 12:08 AM
I got X26 right away when I heard from San Bernardino Sheriff that it was legal to carry concealed or opened in Calif, in most places (public meetings, courts and voting booth are what I remembered as off limits). It was pricey but beats trying to get CCW.

Now I carry C2 since it is smaller than X26.

leelaw
07-27-2010, 12:10 AM
looks like i will be purchasing a taser.

if i can carry one then it will be purchased.

You can carry one.

I recommend the C2 because it's a smaller package, and has the same effect as the X26C, without being easily confused for a firearm.

PsychGuy274
07-27-2010, 1:25 AM
The current TASER models (M18L/M26, X26C, and C2) all use compressed nitrogen to fire the darts, not gunpowder. Since there is no combustion, they are not classified as firearms and can be carried open or concealed in most places without a permit.

Courtrooms, airports, K-12 schools, etc. are still off-limits.

So, I'm extremely familiar with open carry laws for firearms. When you say the k-12 schools as a no-go for tasers, does that mean strictly on school grounds or within 1,000ft like for open carry?

norcal01
07-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Tasers are a great tool and probably the best option by far if you can't get a CCW. Just remember that Tasers, like guns, aren't necessarily going to stop an attacker instantly. As a former LEO I've used one numerous times and I have had people fight through them, had probes get too close together, one probe miss, etc... Thick clothing and a host of other issues can cause them to not have the full effect. They're still awesome but be prepared to continue defending yourself after you deploy it, that way if you do use it and the attacker keeps coming you're mentally prepared for that possibility.

KING_PALM
07-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Tasers are a great tool and probably the best option by far if you can't get a CCW. Just remember that Tasers, like guns, aren't necessarily going to stop an attacker instantly. As a former LEO I've used one numerous times and I have had people fight through them, had probes get too close together, one probe miss, etc... Thick clothing and a host of other issues can cause them to not have the full effect. They're still awesome but be prepared to continue defending yourself after you deploy it, that way if you do use it and the attacker keeps coming you're mentally prepared for that possibility.

thank you for advice and the input.

as for everyone else in the thread. thanks for the input.

adrenalinemedic
07-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Heres the cool thing about the civilian TASERs...instead of cycling for 5 or 15 seconds, they cycle for thirty.

Heres the really cool thing about the civilian TASERs...you can stack shocks. So if you TASER someone and hit the button three times...it stacks three 30 second shocks...a minute and a half of riding the lighting!

The design feature is set up so you can deploy the TASER, incapacitate the threat, abandon the unit and have time to escape/call for help.

ETA: You can only stack three shocks. You can't just keep pressing the button until the juice dies LOL

norcal01
07-27-2010, 12:56 PM
I didn't know you could stack them! That's sweet! I wish the LE ones would do that, they could send the bg for a ride and have him in cuffs before it was over!

kapache
07-27-2010, 1:06 PM
Good to know this information, I will by my wife a Taser for her birthday.

Decoligny
07-27-2010, 1:19 PM
based on this is it no longer in violatin of 12031 to conceal?
i am really thinking about getting a taser since i cant carry a gun.

A 12031 charge is for carrying a loaded firearm. If it was a 12031 a conviction, it was based on:

12031. (a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or in any public place or on any public street in a prohibited area of unincorporated territory.

If he had it concealed, and it was ruled a firearm, he would also have had a PC 12025 conviction.

If the new Taser is not considered a firearm, then you should legally be able to conceal it.

Decoligny
07-27-2010, 1:22 PM
So, I'm extremely familiar with open carry laws for firearms. When you say the k-12 schools as a no-go for tasers, does that mean strictly on school grounds or within 1,000ft like for open carry?

Only on school grounds or within the school. No 1,000 rule for tasers.

626.10. (a) (1) Any person, except a duly appointed peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, a full-time paid peace officer of another state or the federal government who is carrying out official duties while in this state, a person summoned by any officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while the person is actually engaged in assisting any officer, or a member of the military forces of this state or the United States who is engaged in the performance of his or her duties, who brings or possesses any dirk, dagger, ice pick, knife having a blade longer than 2 1/2 inches, folding knife with a blade that locks into place, razor with an unguarded blade, taser, or stun gun, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 244.5, any instrument that expels a metallic projectile such as a BB or a pellet, through the force of air pressure, CO2 pressure, or spring action, or any spot marker gun, upon the grounds of, or within, any public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 12, inclusive, is guilty of a public offense, punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison.

Cpl. Haas
07-27-2010, 3:56 PM
Should also be worth mentioning... if you deploy your TASER, they say pull the trigger 3 times to stack the timer, place it on the ground, and get away from the threat. If you send TASER Intl. a copy of the police report, they will deactivate your old unit and send a new replacement one for free... or at least they will with the X26C... can't confirm that policy for the C2 electric razors.

The X26C also has the backup ability to "drive stun" the attacker by direct contact... similar to traditional stun guns. So if you deploy it, and the darts miss, you can still drive stun the attacker if he continues advancing.

johnny_22
07-27-2010, 4:07 PM
http://www.taser.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/ECD-State-Statute-Summary.pdf

They have the following list:

*Various California cities and municipalities may have regulations regarding stun guns and TASER ECDs, including but not limited to: Brea, Eureka, Hemet, Irvine, La Miranda, Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, Pismo Beach, San Bernardino, San Francisco, San Jose, Scotts Valley, Villa Park, and West Covina. Please be sure to check with the local government regarding the regulations.

I could not find the San Jose ordinance concerning Tasers. Does anyone else know what it is?

They don't mention the Milpitas ordinance which I did find (Tasers are not allowed in the City of Milpitas).

Wherryj
07-28-2010, 12:13 PM
I got X26 right away when I heard from San Bernardino Sheriff that it was legal to carry concealed or opened in Calif, in most places (public meetings, courts and voting booth are what I remembered as off limits). It was pricey but beats trying to get CCW.

Now I carry C2 since it is smaller than X26.

Unless things have changed, San Bernardino is pretty close to shall issue. At least they were when I was in residency 15 years ago...

Any sort of semi-reasonable "need" was taken. I know that almost all of the docs at the county hospital had a CCW.

Soldier415
07-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Been wanting to get my wife a C2, and an x26c for myself

Wherryj
07-28-2010, 12:21 PM
those things are more expensive than most pistols! They are sweet though!:D I wouldn't mind having one for personal/family protection outside of the home

To which pistols do you refer? The Taser site has these models listed at $449. I haven't seen many pistols selling for less-and even fewer that I would want to own.

stitchnicklas
07-31-2010, 5:06 PM
i picked up a c2 knock off today for 130 at the gunshow,uses powder charge for the tongs but can not be holstered with the tong cartridge attached so it is in a stungun mode until you physically attach the cartridge to it.kinda like open carry i guess,but separate they are a stungun and a piece of plastic...