PDA

View Full Version : question about HSC

IrishPirate
07-26-2010, 3:52 PM
cant remember if HSC cards expire. Do you have to take the test every couple of years, or is it good for life? Can't find anything on DOJ website, and not home to look at my card....this is really bugging me for some reason!!!

Untamed1972
07-26-2010, 3:54 PM
cant remember if HSC cards expire. Do you have to take the test every couple of years, or is it good for life? Can't find anything on DOJ website, and not home to look at my card....this is really bugging me for some reason!!!

5yrs I believe.

kapache
07-26-2010, 4:05 PM
You have to take your HSC test every 5 years.

thayne
07-26-2010, 4:11 PM
Is there a sample test online? I havent bought a handgun since that went into effect, but am looking at getting a new glock :D

kapache
07-26-2010, 4:20 PM
Dude the HSC is far the most retarticle test ever, my 22month old son can pass it without studying it.

IrishPirate
07-26-2010, 4:23 PM
5 years.....grrrr, well at least i'm good for a while. It should really be changed to 5 years, if you haven't bought a gun in that time frame. Each new pistol purchase should reset the clock...or better yet, once in a lifetime would be great!

lobonegro
07-26-2010, 4:25 PM
The HSC must be valid at the time you purchase a pistol. It is good for 5 years.

DippyPower
07-26-2010, 5:26 PM
Is there a sample test online? I havent bought a handgun since that went into effect, but am looking at getting a new glock :D

Here:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo.php
Yes, it is as easy as everyone makes it seem. Look at the practice test at the end of each chapter for a quick review before you go to take the test.

thayne
07-26-2010, 5:36 PM
Here:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo.php
Yes, it is as easy as everyone makes it seem. Look at the practice test at the end of each chapter for a quick review before you go to take the test.

Wow, I guess LOL

383green
07-26-2010, 5:57 PM
Mine had expired last time I bought a pistol, but the FFL just had me pay a renewal fee and didn't make me retake the test. Was that proper? If it makes a difference, I don't think I was visibly drooling at the time, nor did I have any obvious gunshot wounds in my feet. :p

Shotgun Man
07-26-2010, 6:19 PM
Mine had expired last time I bought a pistol, but the FFL just had me pay a renewal fee and didn't make me retake the test. Was that proper? If it makes a difference, I don't think I was visibly drooling at the time, nor did I have any obvious gunshot wounds in my feet. :p

It was illegal, I guess, but what isn't these days?

Having stupid laws causes people to have contempt for the law and to honor it more in the breach than the observance.

Dubious_Beans
07-26-2010, 6:30 PM
Yeah, every 5 years.
Yeah, it's easy....

I took it the first time a little over a month ago. Gunshop guy handed me the "study guide" and said to come back and take the test when I was ready. I sat in the car and looked through it for about 5 minutes. Went right back in and passed with 100%.

Sample question:

You should always keep the muzzle of your gun pointed:
A) Due north
B) At your friends dog
C) Up your own butt
D) In the safest possible direction

Anyone who can't pass the HSC definitely should not own guns.

Shotgun Man
07-26-2010, 7:00 PM
Sample question:

A) Due north
B) At your friends dog
C) Up your own butt

Pretty funny.

383green
07-26-2010, 7:07 PM
Sample question:

A) Due north
B) At your friends dog
C) Up your own butt

Is this like those David Letterman quizzes, where the correct answer is always "C"? :stuart:

Untamed1972
07-27-2010, 12:14 PM
You could also go take a PC832 firearms course at a local community college and that certificate will exempt you from the HSC for life.

Yeah...it's a little more time and money upfront, but it's good for life.

Connor P Price
07-27-2010, 1:23 PM
If you have a pulse and are capable of reading english its a cakewalk and should be done in a couple minutes.

thedrickel
07-27-2010, 1:30 PM
If you have a pulse and are capable of reading english its a cakewalk and should be done in a couple minutes.

The tests are also offered en espanol.

fairfaxjim
07-27-2010, 2:26 PM

That was indeed improper. There is no "renewal" of the HSC. You get it, it expires in 5 years, you do it over again and get a new one. If you lose it, within the 5 years while it is still valid, the instructor who issued it to you (Only that instructor or dealer) is required to issue you a "replacement" for $15.00 That should be the only time you can get one without taking a test. Instructors must prepurchase the HSC cards from the DOJ for $15 and are allowed to charge that plus $10 for administering the test and issuing the card. Instructors must administer the test twice - if required - for the $25.00 fee. I guess they get to keep the $15 certificate fee if you fail both times. Since you aren't taking the test, they can only charge the $15 it costs for the card to replace one.

I have never had anyone fail, and if someone failed it twice, I seriously doubt I would offer to let them try it again, it is that simple and anyone who can't pass it initially shouldn't be touching firearms.

morfeeis
07-27-2010, 2:32 PM
5 years.....grrrr, well at least i'm good for a while. It should really be changed to 5 years, if you haven't bought a gun in that time frame. Each new pistol purchase should reset the clock...or better yet, once in a lifetime would be great!
If they don't charge us for a useless card how else will they have enough to pay all these people to take our rights away.

Monte
07-27-2010, 4:00 PM
Yeah, every 5 years.
Yeah, it's easy....

I took it the first time a little over a month ago. Gunshop guy handed me the "study guide" and said to come back and take the test when I was ready. I sat in the car and looked through it for about 5 minutes. Went right back in and passed with 100%.

Sample question:

A) Due north
B) At your friends dog
C) Up your own butt

Wait, so what was the correct answer? :confused:

gd-bh
07-27-2010, 4:00 PM
..... it is that simple and anyone who can't pass it initially shouldn't be touching firearms.

Barring the "common sense" part of that statement (which we would probably all agree on), what part of that would apply to a "fundamental" right such as RKBA? Is one required to take a "test" and be "licensed" every 5 years to exercise their fundamental freedom of speech? Heck, the government gives preferred tax treatment to that fundamental right of religion. The HSC is pure and simply a "poll tax" with respect to exercising the fundamental RKBA, and I sure hope that we don't allow the "common sense" contained within the material to overshadow the fact that the HSC is an unnecessary roadblock to the exercise of that shiny new fundamental right that was recently affirmed by the Supreme Court.

383green
07-27-2010, 4:14 PM
That was indeed improper. There is no "renewal" of the HSC. You get it, it expires in 5 years, you do it over again and get a new one. If you lose it, within the 5 years while it is still valid, the instructor who issued it to you (Only that instructor or dealer) is required to issue you a "replacement" for $15.00

I believe the dealer called it a "replacement" and charged me $15. While I can't work up any moral outrage at the dealer not administering or charging for the test (considering that I believe the requirement to get the card to be an infringement upon a fundamental right), I'm still concerned to see an otherwise good dealer cut corners that could get them in trouble.

dantodd
07-27-2010, 4:25 PM
I am hopefully that by the time my current HSC expires I will not need to procure another one to exercise my 2A rights.

NytWolf
07-27-2010, 4:31 PM
or better yet, once in a lifetime would be great!
There's a lot of truth to that saying, "Nothing is forever." It used to be called the Basic Firearms Safety Certification (BFSC) or something like that, and it was supposed to be a once in a lifetime thing. Then some idiot came along and passed a law that required the HSC.

Granted though, the practice test is harder than the actual test.

motorhead
07-28-2010, 10:12 AM
it's for the children! (really, it's for the money)

Wherryj
07-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Dude the HSC is far the most retarticle test ever, my 22month old son can pass it without studying it.

I haven't purchased a handgun since 1993, but I know a physician who just purchased a handgun. He didn't realize that he needed the HSC (was so excited about getting his green card and being able to purchase one), but passed it easily with no study.

I do, however, doubt that your 22 year old son could pass it without studying. I've heard that it involves kindergarten reading skills.

Wherryj
07-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Barring the "common sense" part of that statement (which we would probably all agree on), what part of that would apply to a "fundamental" right such as RKBA? Is one required to take a "test" and be "licensed" every 5 years to exercise their fundamental freedom of speech? Heck, the government gives preferred tax treatment to that fundamental right of religion. The HSC is pure and simply a "poll tax" with respect to exercising the fundamental RKBA, and I sure hope that we don't allow the "common sense" contained within the material to overshadow the fact that the HSC is an unnecessary roadblock to the exercise of that shiny new fundamental right that was recently affirmed by the Supreme Court.

Even the priviledge of driving doesn't require a successful test every 5 years. I was only hit for the retest at age 40...more than 20 years after my initial test.

REH
07-28-2010, 1:26 PM
Don't forget, the HSC replaced the Basic Firearms Safety Certificate, that would never expire:rolleyes:

Paul S
07-28-2010, 1:28 PM
Wait, so what was the correct answer? :confused:

Remember the cardinal rule of multiple choice test taking.

When in doubt answer 'C' :D

Paul S

taperxz
07-28-2010, 2:47 PM
I have no problem taking a test. I don't see why it should cost ANY money though! $25 to take a test is pure unadulterated BS!