PDA

View Full Version : Guided Bear Hunt

NorCalRifleman
07-26-2010, 12:55 PM
So my mom wants to take me on a guided bear hunt for my thirtieth birthday. She doesn't know any good outfitters or how to find one, so I was hoping some of you might have had some good experiences. She isn't made of money, so anything more than a couple thousand dollars would probably be no-go, but we are willing to go out of state to Nevada or Oregon, though that would mean an out of state tag. Any recommendations or suggestions?

professionalcoyotehunter
07-26-2010, 12:58 PM
there should be plenty of places out your way that would guide you on a hunt froa round $1000-2000.

Here is a list.

http://www.arwhead.com/calhunt/guides.html

5shot
07-26-2010, 1:43 PM
You can also check the DFG licensed guides list for people in your area.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/pdffiles/licensebiggameguidelist.pdf

taperxz
07-26-2010, 2:35 PM
Pocket the money, go to covelo and shoot a bear. Marbles are a great place to go for bear also.

NorCalRifleman
07-26-2010, 2:43 PM
I'm not sure how successful I would be on my first trip. Hence the guide.

toby
07-26-2010, 2:51 PM
Should you go with a guide you will be shooting a bear out of a tree after his dogs have bayed him ...not much hunting or sport in that and your $$$ gone not saying thats a bad thing but be prepared for it.

PatriotnMore
07-26-2010, 3:09 PM
Give these guys a call http://www.worldclassoutdoors.com/california_hunting.htm#High_Country_Outfitters_Nor thern_California_Hunting

NorCalRifleman
07-26-2010, 3:57 PM
Should you go with a guide you will be shooting a bear out of a tree after his dogs have bayed him ...not much hunting or sport in that and your $$$ gone not saying thats a bad thing but be prepared for it.

What is the alternative? What would you sugges for my first bear hunt?

toby
07-26-2010, 4:08 PM
You cant always be successful at taking game no matter what you do. I like to find an area that holds good numbers of game and then spot and stalk for whatever game that might be. It may happen the first time or it may take two, three,or four or sometimes even more but you did it on your own and there for is a much greater experience and lots of $$$ saved. But if you don't have the time or patience then a guide is the way to go. But ask if they do spot and stalk ? you will have more fun doing it this way... good luck and by all means do have FUN..

lewdogg21
07-26-2010, 5:51 PM
The kid is 13. Let him have his guided hunt. It's better than getting fat playing xbox all day (No offense to the OP) :)

toby
07-26-2010, 5:55 PM
The kid is 13. Let him have his guided hunt. It's better than getting fat playing xbox all day (No offense to the OP) :)

Dang I skipped that part or had a brain fart? anyway had I seen that I would have just let it go sorry for overlooking and spatin off. :(

aaronraby1
07-26-2010, 6:01 PM
shoot me a pm and i can give you the number to my buddy up north.

lewdogg21
07-26-2010, 6:53 PM
Dang I skipped that part or had a brain fart? anyway had I seen that I would have just let it go sorry for overlooking and spatin off. :(

I just re-read, its thirtieth not thirteen. My bad. :(

Anyways go on a hunt, have fun. :D

NorCalRifleman
07-26-2010, 7:03 PM
Oookay. I love the idea of spot and stalk, but the Air Force, my wife and my three boys don't give me a lot of time for trial and error. I would definitely prefer a spot and stalk guide, someone to show me the ropes and help with my first hunt. I guess I'll just start calling outfitters.

pieeater
07-26-2010, 7:27 PM
If you just want "a bear" it should be fairly easy. If your going for a big one it might take some time. Also spot and stalk is most likely going to be driving around a ranch till you find one and jumping out and shooting it. Or spotting it 300 yards away and stalking 100 yards so you can take a closer shot. Running dogs is pretty exciting so you might think about it. You taking wife and kids? Might find some place with a nice cabin or house if you are.

You might pm bigboarstopper he probably knows some guys that run bear.

NorCalRifleman
07-26-2010, 7:32 PM
If you just want "a bear" it should be fairly easy. If your going for a big one it might take some time. Also spot and stalk is most likely going to be driving around a ranch till you find one and jumping out and shooting it. Or spotting it 300 yards away and stalking 100 yards so you can take a closer shot. Running dogs is pretty exciting so you might think about it. You taking wife and kids? Might find some place with a nice cabin or house if you are.

You might pm bigboarstopper he probably knows some guys that run bear.

I just want a bear. I have slaughtered birds all my life, but hand me a real rifle and I'll take a long scenic hike without spotting a damn thing. Just haven't had very good luck so far. I can see enjoying a spot and stalk on foot or running dogs.

No, won't be taking the family on this trip. Wife doesn't appreciate hunting and the boys are still a bit young.

aaronraby1
07-26-2010, 7:36 PM
running bears is definitely exciting!! you will love it. but i also would like to experience the spot and stalk. i dont care but for baiting. i have never hunted anything over bait.

but.... im a little confused. how did it go from a mom wanting to send her thirteen year old on a trip to a man having a family in the air force? haha.

anywho.... good luck! if you go archery, you better hurry!! you got about a month before season opens. you got more time if you are going firearms.

CSACANNONEER
07-26-2010, 7:43 PM
I can rent you my cabin in North Shore Tahoe. All you'ld have to do is sit outside at night and wait. One will walk right up to you! I guess the neighbors and SO might have issues with you shooting there though.

There are different types of guides. You should be able to find one who will not use dogs if you don't want to.

NorCalRifleman
07-26-2010, 7:43 PM
Actually, I have plenty of time. The hunt won'e be until Fall 2011. I don't get to go hunting much, because of the USAF, wife and kids, so my mom wants to give me a guided hunt as a b-day gift. Finding a guide with dogs sounds like a plan. I think I can be more patient about spot and stalk hunting after there's a bear rug in my house!

pieeater
07-26-2010, 7:44 PM
Very few ranches have enough bears to do a high success spot and stalk on a 3 day hunt. My friends ranch is infested with bears and could be done there but he wants 4500 for a bear hunt. I know another place with some pretty big bears but he wont do just a bear hunt it has to be a add on to a deer or elk hunt.

I'd definately try and find someone highly recomended and try not to just pick someone out of an ad.

I just want a bear. I have slaughtered birds all my life, but hand me a real rifle and I'll take a long scenic hike without spotting a damn thing. Just haven't had very good luck so far. I can see enjoying a spot and stalk on foot or running dogs.

No, won't be taking the family on this trip. Wife doesn't appreciate hunting and the boys are still a bit young.

NorCalRifleman
07-26-2010, 8:09 PM
Well, whatever happens, I'll report back here so you guys get the low down on whoever I use.

Baxter
07-26-2010, 10:42 PM
PCH is a guide, maybe he can take you.

Matt@EntrepriseArms
07-28-2010, 2:20 PM
I went on a guided bear hunt before with a buddy of mine. We used Bucky Stone Guide Services 530-275-1457. He is located in the Redding/Shasta area.

It was a few years ago, so I don't know if he is still doing it, but I would highly recommend him. I think my buddy paid around $1700 for a trophy bear hunt, and he ended up shooting a 6'11" 400lb black bear.

The guide's service was awesome. They picked us up from the airport and took us to our motel. They picked us up every morning at 0 dark thirty for the trip up to the mountains, and dropped us off back there at the end of the day. They also provided us with a sack lunch and drinks as well.

Yes, they use dogs, but for anyone who hasn't been bear hunting with dogs before, its not an easy task. Its not like you just set them loose, they tree a bear in a hour or two, and you stroll up and shoot it.

We hunted from dawn to dusk, and we didn't get the bear till the 3rd day. Yes, the dogs track and tree the bear, but what most people don't think about is how to get to the dogs! The area we were in was so steep that they couldn't get an ATV in there, so it was hiking on foot for several miles down terrain I didn't even think was navigable. Since is was getting dark, they gutted it and we had to come back for it the next day to skin it. Then we had to pack it out, and that was another couple of hours of hiking with all of us taking turns carrying the pack with the skin & skull.

Last, the best part about Bucky Stone is that he offers a money back gurantee. He is so confident in his ability that he will refund your money if he doesn't get you a bear. The only catch is you have to allow him enough days to do it, but it wasn't unreasonable.

professionalcoyotehunter
07-28-2010, 2:40 PM
PCH is a guide, maybe he can take you.

I don't guide for bears. I never will. Just not one of the things I have a desire to hunt. I have been on hunts for bears but I wont shoot one unless it poses a threat to me.

mif_slim
07-28-2010, 3:55 PM
I would take you for free but this year...i may not be hunting as much as I want to. I hunt near yuba area too.

pieeater
07-28-2010, 6:20 PM
Thats a big bear. Out of every 100 bears I see I bet on the average only 1 or 2 of them are in the 400lb plus class

I think my buddy paid around $1700 for a trophy bear hunt, and he ended up shooting a 6'11" 400lb black bear.

mif_slim
07-28-2010, 7:50 PM
I don't guide for bears. I never will. Just not one of the things I have a desire to hunt. I have been on hunts for bears but I wont shoot one unless it poses a threat to me.

You suck. LOL. jk :P

olhunter
07-29-2010, 6:03 AM
So my mom wants to take me on a guided bear hunt for my thirtieth birthday.

but.... im a little confused. how did it go from a mom wanting to send her thirteen year old on a trip to a man having a family in the air force? haha.

He's gonna be 30, not 13. Good luck on your hunt. You gotta make a bear-claw necklace and wear it everyday for a year.

Matt@EntrepriseArms
07-29-2010, 9:13 AM
Thats a big bear. Out of every 100 bears I see I bet on the average only 1 or 2 of them are in the 400lb plus class

Yup, the guides thought it was probably the largest bear taken all season. I have pics, in case anybody wants to see them.

r3dn3ck
07-29-2010, 9:13 AM
I'll be doing a deer/bear hunt in Trinity county this year. If you're up for a week long hunt around the 2nd week of october I'd take you to a place full of bear and let you hunt it. I'd like to get a nice size hunting party (~4 guys) together this year.

I don't hunt bear over dogs anymore. Straight ground action. Helps that I know where they live.

If you want to self guide a hunt then I can point you to a nice specific area.

None of the rest of these jokers will get very specific on where. I'll give you a GPS coordinate set.

NorCalRifleman
07-29-2010, 6:11 PM
If I had the leave, I would be VERY interested in a week long hunt, but alas, too many trips to see the in-laws this year and another planned for Christmas. GPS coords would be great. I'm guessing it's public land? If I went up this year, it would probably just be for a scouting hike. Who knows though, if I get a new stock on my rifle in time I could make a serious trip of it.

spectr17
07-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Give Larry Lowell a call. He's out of the high desert and runs hounds down south, and up around Kern County, but guide up north. Has hounds that catch bear and do travel. Phone number is 760-963-9790, email address is LowellsGunDogs@yahoo.com

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pz81cjbvMKk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pz81cjbvMKk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rK0q-7l469U&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rK0q-7l469U&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

spectr17
07-29-2010, 10:39 PM

Have you ever hunted with bear hounds? Just about everyone who says using hounds is not sporting or hunting has never even chased a pack across mtn ridges.

echo1
07-30-2010, 4:23 PM
Go on a deer hunt with any of your buddies who take deer each season. After they take one, find a good place to have a stand that has a clear field of the gut pile. A bear will show up, have to take him going to or from. PAX

echo1
07-30-2010, 4:37 PM
Nice 4 pointer, crappy baby bear, I would't have shot it, but there's your dead bear. PAX

toby
07-30-2010, 4:46 PM
Have you ever hunted with bear hounds? Just about everyone who says using hounds is not sporting or hunting has never even chased a pack across mtn ridges.

With all due respect NO! and never would. For some it's fine for some it's not, the same can be said for golf? I am sure the ''chase'' is tremendously fun, it's the shooting the Bear out of a tree or backed up to an out cropping of rocks or at a dead end that bugs me.

aaronraby1
07-30-2010, 4:47 PM
Go on a deer hunt with any of your buddies who take deer each season. After they take one, find a good place to have a stand that has a clear field of the gut pile. A bear will show up, have to take him going to or from. PAX

that would be illegal. it would be considered baiting according to fish and game. its an "attractant." unless you are 400 yards away... then youre good!

pieeater
07-30-2010, 5:15 PM
My last bear I was driving down the road saw him eating acorns under a tree. I stopped truck jumped out and shot him in the head with my 300. Rancher wanted to thin some bears and I had a tag or i wouldnt have wasted my time. But yeah it was a lot more sporting than using dogs.

With all due respect NO! and never would. For some it's fine for some it's not, the same can be said for golf? I am sure the ''chase'' is tremendously fun, it's the shooting the Bear out of a tree or backed up to an out cropping of rocks or at a dead end that bugs me.

spectr17
07-30-2010, 6:10 PM

With all due respect also before you go slipping and sliding down that slope.

Spot and stalking a clueless bear who's munching on the blackberries is more sporting? IMHO calling them in close with a fawn bleat is more sporting, they come in wanting to eat something with their senses on alert.

To each their own as they say.

toby
07-30-2010, 6:31 PM
With all due respect also before you go slipping and sliding down that slope.

Spot and stalking a clueless bear who's munching on the blackberries is more sporting? IMHO calling them in close with a fawn bleat is more sporting, they come in wanting to eat something with their senses on alert.

To each their own as they say.

Wow! thats exactly how I said I hunt them can you find that statement and please quote it for me! yeh you and your followers from your Web site hunt that way, ever wonder why real hunters don't use that site??. clueless huh ''to each his own'' as you put it

pieeater
07-30-2010, 8:11 PM
Seriously have you ever even hunted bear?

Wow! thats exactly how I said I hunt them can you find that statement and please quote it for me! yeh you and your followers from your Web site hunt that way, ever wonder why real hunters don't use that site??. clueless huh ''to each his own'' as you put it

NorCalRifleman
07-30-2010, 10:03 PM

Calm down, please. I'm just looking for a good guide or hunting spot. I know every man has his opinion of what "sporting" means and you are entitled to yours. I have no problem shooting a treed animal, but I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea and I appreciate your warning me so I wouldn't end up with a poor experience and lighter pockets if that was something that bothered me, thanks for looking out.

toby
07-31-2010, 8:08 AM
nocalrifleman= no problem the guy accused or question me? I'm done with him.

pieeater= really? c-mon dude.

good luck to all no matter how you choose to do it.

spectr17
07-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Sorry toby, I wasn't picking on your method of hunting bears, just pointing out how others may see it. I was just up picking blackberries this week and watched a bear 30 yards from me who never paid me any attention. I spot and stalk in the berries when the bears are on them too. Good luck this fall.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs003.snc4/33499_1505318629370_1126381876_1454576_2282760_n.j pg

pieeater
07-31-2010, 12:19 PM
That and acorns up here. If there is a good acorn crop when they fall the bears feast on them. At times they can be oblivious to every thing around them.

Sorry toby, I wasn't picking on your method of hunting bears, just pointing out how others may see it. I was just up picking blackberries this week and watched a bear 30 yards from me who never paid me any attention. I spot and stalk in the berries when the bears are on them too. Good luck this fall.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs003.snc4/33499_1505318629370_1126381876_1454576_2282760_n.j pg

spectr17
07-31-2010, 1:39 PM
That and acorns up here. If there is a good acorn crop when they fall the bears feast on them. At times they can be oblivious to every thing around them.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen in the woods was a bear on some acorns. He scooped a big pile up under this oak tree and then dove into them on his belly. :D After he laid there gorging himself by scooping them into his mouth he did it again. He was in bear heaven.

What I can't figure out is how they eat the gooseberries that have them spikes all over them. That's got to hurt their tongues and mouth.

pieeater
07-31-2010, 3:13 PM
Ive seen them up in the trees shaking the acorns out. Whats funny is when you come upon them up in the tree like that it startles the heck out of them and ive seen a few fall. Not jump out but actualy fall. lol

Yea gotta figure theyll get bit in the mouth by a hundred bees just to get a little honey. Thats gotta hurt a little.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen in the woods was a bear on some acorns. He scooped a big pile up under this oak tree and then dove into them on his belly. :D After he laid there gorging himself by scooping them into his mouth he did it again. He was in bear heaven.

What I can't figure out is how they eat the gooseberries that have them spikes all over them. That's got to hurt their tongues and mouth.