PDA

View Full Version : I have a favor to ask... I need a gun

Crusader
07-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Long story, so I'll break it down as quickly as I can. In my last 6 months of work, my hours had been cut severly due to the economy (of course). In that time I had been slowly selling my firearms, electronics, etc... anything that could raise some money to make up the difference.

Flash forward to now, I lost my job almost 2 months ago and have not been able to find any (legitimate) work. To save money I moved back in with my dad, but since his job is not doing so well either we have moved to a not-so-nice corner of Anaheim to save rent money.

In talking with a few people around here, there has apparently been a small string of burglaries and stolen cars within the last 6 months, the closest of which being the next street over.

I sold my truck to help my dad out with some rent, and paid off my medical bills. So now I am sitting on about $100-$150 and need to get a shotgun or some rifle that could double as a home defence weapon. This is where I need a local Calgunner's help.

Does anyone have a beater shotgun that they would be willing to sell for $150? If not, would anyone be willing to take $150 up front, with a promise of paying the rest to you when I do finally get a job? Based on effectiveness, I would prefer a pump, semi, or coach gun, but honestly I need anything I can get. I have been a member of this forum for quite a while, and have a huge amount of positive feedback from other members I have bought/sold/traded with.

If anyone could help me out, it would be appreciated far beyond description.

Thanks,
Tim

professorhard
07-26-2010, 11:53 AM
The Interstate 982 goes on sale at Big 5 for $199. That's about the cheapest pump I can think of. Goodluck i hope your situation improves.

rromeo
07-26-2010, 11:53 AM
H&R Pardner single shots are about $100-125. Better than nothing else.

acolytes
07-26-2010, 1:08 PM
Damn! too bad you didnt post this a few months earlier. I had a never fired 12 gauge pump action that was collecting dust in the safe that I sold my boss for $200. I would have been happy to help out a fellow Calgunner and sold it to you for $150. Turner's sometimes has those nef, or pardners? For about $190ish if i recall correctly.

frankm
07-26-2010, 1:52 PM
Get the H&R. I had one when I was 13. It never had a problem.

Crusader
07-26-2010, 2:10 PM
The Pardner is my fallback plan, and of course it would be better than my current armament (Buck knife, T-ball bat, flashlight, and some dental floss) but ideally I want something with at least 2 shots (i.e. coach gun).

ir0nclash86
07-26-2010, 2:48 PM
You could probably get a mosin nagant for that price. Yeah its a pretty big round for home defense but its better than nothing. I've seen some online for $80 bucks last month never issued. I cant remember the website name. There has to be some calgunners who have plenty of nagants to spare.

DVSmith
07-26-2010, 2:57 PM
Here is an option:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/989060046/Guns/Shotguns/Mossberg-Shotguns/Pump/Sporting/MOSSBERG_500_12_G.htm

Also, check out craigs list. Post your request there.

Helpful_Cub
07-26-2010, 3:27 PM
Long story, so I'll break it down as quickly as I can. In my last 6 months of work, my hours had been cut severly due to the economy (of course). In that time I had been slowly selling my firearms, electronics, etc... anything that could raise some money to make up the difference.

Flash forward to now, I lost my job almost 2 months ago and have not been able to find any (legitimate) work. To save money I moved back in with my dad, but since his job is not doing so well either we have moved to a not-so-nice corner of Anaheim to save rent money.

In talking with a few people around here, there has apparently been a small string of burglaries and stolen cars within the last 6 months, the closest of which being the next street over.

Bad economy, crime, being in fear of your life and property... Don't forget to vote in your own self-defense in the coming election.

I hope things start working out for you and that you manage to get back on your feet.

Esquire
07-26-2010, 3:32 PM
I have 20-gauge H&R Pardner pump. 5-shot capacity. 26" barrel. Modified screw-in choke. Synthetic stock. It is in very good condition. I'll sell it to you for $140 (buyer pays PPT fee, as usual). PM me if interested.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss157/10975144/pardnerpump_synthetic-1.jpg

Lucky Scott
07-26-2010, 4:13 PM
Here is a 20 GA for $100 bucks, but it is up north in Sacramento
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=302577

I bought some ammo from you once, sorry to hear you and your family are struggling.

Digital_Hate
07-26-2010, 9:26 PM
for the grand opening of the turners in Rancho Caucamanga they have a .22 rifle for $99

Steve-O
07-27-2010, 5:15 AM
PM sent, I think I might have something for you.

bsg
07-27-2010, 9:31 AM
imo you should put something on layaway that you'll want to keep later, and put your efforts toward paying it off quickly.

j1133s
07-27-2010, 9:36 AM

Does anyone have a beater shotgun that they would be willing to sell for $150? If not, would anyone be willing to take $150 up front, with a promise of paying the rest to you when I do finally get a job? Based on effectiveness, I would prefer a pump, semi, or coach gun, but honestly I need anything I can get. I have been a member of this forum for quite a while, and have a huge amount of positive feedback from other members I have bought/sold/traded with.

If anyone could help me out, it would be appreciated far beyond description.

Thanks,
Tim

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear of your situation. I don't have a gun to offer you but I'd point out that a gun is not the end-all-be-all weapon for HD/SD. An ax, bat, knife, dog, lights, can be very effective as well. And they are generally easier to use and a lot cheaper than a gun. Just something for you to consider in case its overlooked.

MP301
07-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear of your situation. I don't have a gun to offer you but I'd point out that a gun is not the end-all-be-all weapon for HD/SD. An ax, bat, knife, dog, lights, can be very effective as well. And they are generally easier to use and a lot cheaper than a gun. Just something for you to consider in case its overlooked.

You are right that these things beat a poke in the eye with a sharp stick...however, in most cases we all know that just presenting a gun is enough end the bull****....and if that doesnt work, then......

nick
07-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Tim,

If you don't find anything else, let me know, I might have something. If you do find something, I'd rather keep it :)

j1133s
07-28-2010, 8:52 AM
You are right that these things beat a poke in the eye with a sharp stick...however, in most cases we all know that just presenting a gun is enough end the bull****....and if that doesnt work, then......

Since I'm not law enforcement, if I'm troubled enough to point a gun at you, I'm firing it.

A small/midsized ax is pretty good for HD.

jackliu239
07-28-2010, 11:27 AM
for the grand opening of the turners in Rancho Caucamanga they have a .22 rifle for $99

LOL good one

Sam
07-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Since I'm not law enforcement, if I'm troubled enough to point a gun at you, I'm firing it.

I don't necessarily agree. If there's time and I do point a gun and then the other guy retreats/gives up then why should I shoot?

This is similar to those who say when CCW'ing that if they draw they're gun they are going to shoot.

Crusader
07-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks everyone for the offers and advice. I am working with Esquire to acquire a 20 gauge shotgun. Just have to concentrate on getting a stupid job again now haha.

j1133s
07-28-2010, 1:13 PM
I don't necessarily agree. If there's time and I do point a gun and then the other guy retreats/gives up then why should I shoot?

This is similar to those who say when CCW'ing that if they draw they're gun they are going to shoot.

I'm thinking there's no time to check that the BG is doing once I decide to draw.
So I think it's better to check-and-see->decide->draw->fire than draw->check-and-see->decide->fire.

You can draw from concealment and shoot within a couple seconds, I doubt there'll be much change in the BG inside that time period.

As for HD, I don't plan to go around looking for BGs after getting my gun. I call 911 and wait inside my room. If BG comes into my sights, I shoot.