View Full Version : How Sad - Confiscated weapons to be melted into rebar

glockman19
07-26-2010, 12:31 PM
latimes.com
Confiscated weapons to be melted into rebar
By Gary Friedman

Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

11:15 AM PDT, July 26, 2010

Weapons were on display Monday at Los Angeles County Sheriff's headquarters, where Sheriff Lee Baca announced the destruction of more than 8,300 weapons confiscated from criminals in Los Angeles County. The guns will be converted Tuesday morning into steel rebar as part of "Project Isaiah." Tamco Steel donates its furnace, equipment and personnel to convert the weapons into rebar, and will allocate the steel from the melted weapons to be used for upgrades to freeways and bridges in California, Nevada and Arizona.

Aren't we boycotting AZ?

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-weaponsseized26-m,0,842726.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fnews+%28L.A.+Times+-+Top+News%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo

sevensix2x51
07-26-2010, 12:43 PM
so 8300 weapons will build what, one bridge abuttment? how are they going to spread that across 3 states?

CitaDeL
07-26-2010, 12:50 PM
For once, I would like to hear about a story about rebar being melted down into precision firearms.

gbp
07-26-2010, 12:50 PM
we should probably boycott Tamco Steel

rromeo
07-26-2010, 1:00 PM
Boycott Tamco Steel because their quality control apparently sucks. I don't think a bunch of guns, which are made from steel, aluminum, wood, and composite materials should be used to make structural materials.

iareConfusE
07-26-2010, 1:07 PM
Boycott Tamco Steel because their quality control apparently sucks. I don't think a bunch of guns, which are made from steel, aluminum, wood, and composite materials should be used to make structural materials.

lol, indeed.

thayne
07-26-2010, 1:30 PM
You know, if they were to sell those weapons to law abiding citizens they could make a nice little profit to go toward the cash strapped state.

iareConfusE
07-26-2010, 1:48 PM
You know, if they were to sell those weapons to law abiding citizens they could make a nice little profit to go toward the cash strapped state.

That would require them to think logically and sensibly, though.

joedogboy
07-26-2010, 1:51 PM
They auction off other types of property seized from criminals - including those man-killing automobiles - so why not auction off the "liberty teeth" that they seize.

winnre
07-26-2010, 2:09 PM

Well that would be 8300 less guns that manufacturers can make, and maybe they would have to lay folks off...

DippyPower
07-26-2010, 2:30 PM
Did they check to see if any of the guns were reported stolen? Is there a way for people to see a record of the serial numbers of the guns?

cpt_majestic
07-26-2010, 2:45 PM
Less liability for them just to melt them, also Baca can say " see were making a difference". Can you imagine the lawsuit they would have if they did resell and one was used in a crime? Total mess

winnre
07-26-2010, 2:49 PM
Less liability for them just to melt them, also Baca can say " see were making a difference". Can you imagine the lawsuit they would have if they did resell and one was used in a crime? Total mess

What if they sold one and it saved a person's life? Last time I checked, good things happen because a person has a gun too.

paul0660
07-26-2010, 2:50 PM
I am sure the nice ones don't see the furnace.

sd_shooter
07-26-2010, 2:59 PM
It's somewhat like the Cash for Clunkers program. One way or another, the government finds a way to throw away money.

Corbin Dallas
07-26-2010, 3:00 PM
latimes.com
Confiscated weapons to be melted into rebar
By Gary Friedman

Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

11:15 AM PDT, July 26, 2010

Weapons were on display Monday at Los Angeles County Sheriff's headquarters, where Sheriff Lee Baca announced the destruction of more than 8,300 weapons confiscated from criminals in Los Angeles County. The guns will be converted Tuesday morning into steel rebar as part of "Project Isaiah." Tamco Steel donates its furnace, equipment and personnel to convert the weapons into rebar, and will allocate the steel from the melted weapons to be used for upgrades to freeways and bridges in California, Nevada and Arizona.

Aren't we boycotting AZ?

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-weaponsseized26-m,0,842726.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fnews+%28L.A.+Times+-+Top+News%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo

Good! I say we melt them down and make them in to hammers and go bonk the people who turned in their guns for cash cards on the head.

Clearly those who gave up their firearms for groceries or WIC coupons don't deserve to defend themselves.

ArkinDomino
07-26-2010, 4:57 PM
For once, I would like to hear about a story about rebar being melted down into precision firearms.

:rofl2:

johnthomas
07-26-2010, 6:05 PM
I can't understand why a person couldn't bid on the guns, minus the frames or receivers?

nick
07-26-2010, 6:12 PM

But how would we ritually burn these guns on the stake then? For this is what it is - ritually punishing the inanimate object. And they say we've come far from burning witches (and familiars), as well as ritual sacrifices.

nick
07-26-2010, 6:13 PM

They do, that's the sad part.

Fissssh
07-26-2010, 7:04 PM
But but but, it's for the children......

winnre
07-27-2010, 10:28 AM
But but but, it's for the children......

Too bad they make lousy rebar.

jaymz
07-27-2010, 9:23 PM
Does anybody else find it odd that Baca can't find somewhere in his own county to melt those guns into rebar?

Red Devil
07-28-2010, 8:03 AM

Me..? multiple gun involved felons ground into fertilizer...

(but we all know that it's the guns that kill people, ...so what good would that do)

jigenax
07-28-2010, 8:57 AM

Depends on whether or not they already got a sample in their "internal" collection. An old coworker, who's a retired LEO, told me about LAPD's internal collection of seized firearms. They kept alot of historically significant pieces and melt down the rest. He never did care for the "Cash for Guns" program amnesty angle, often wondered how many surrendered pieces were evidence to murders, robberies or other nefarious activities.

AAShooter
07-28-2010, 9:02 AM

We would rather legalize and tax drugs.

tenpercentfirearms
07-28-2010, 9:06 AM
Who cares. If Tamco wants to do this, no big deal.

If weapons were truly inanimate objects like so many of you profess, then you wouldn't turn them into icons that are unworthy of the blast furnace.

Guns are like anything else, just objects. There will be more guns made to take these guns place.

Could they make more money selling them back into circulation? Sure. If they don't, oh well. Like someone else said, it just keeps the gun manufacturers busy.

spiderpigs
07-28-2010, 3:06 PM

If weapons were truly inanimate objects like so many of you profess, then you wouldn't turn them into icons that are unworthy of the blast furnace.

Guns are like anything else, just objects. There will be more guns made to take these guns place.

Could they make more money selling them back into circulation? Sure. If they don't, oh well. Like someone else said, it just keeps the gun manufacturers busy.

I think the issue is that IF some of those guns were stolen from their legitimate owners, those owners should be getting them back as oppose to those guns just being disappeared into a blast furnace.

Red Devil
07-28-2010, 8:53 PM

They are not just objects, ...they are tools.

...and not just any tools, ...but tools for defense of person, family, and freedom.

I feel the same way about my 28 oz. framing hammer.

...there are many hammers, ...but this one is mine. (and with it I feed my kids)

Destroying tools is repugnant, ...the bleating of sheeple.

You are right, ...maybe.

There may be more guns, maybe even in the Provence of Kalimexifornicatiastan.

Amusing anecdote:

Back when dinosaur roamed the earth...

...a buddy of mine invited me to a Saturday shoot on his dad's ranch out in Fallbrook.

Not familiar with the area, I took a wrong dirt road and ended up in a construction site in the middle of nowhere.

A security guard drives up and I asked him for directions.

He looks in the back of my truck, sees my gun cases, and the SOB calls the Sheriff.

Turns out that the scraped lot I was parked on was also the site of a new school, ...so this genius demands that I be arrested for possession of a firearm on school grounds.

The Deputies apologized, ...confiscated my guns, and O.R.'s me.

A trip to the Courthouse a month later, ...the judge laughs the rent-a-fool out of court.

Case dismissed.

I ask the judge for my guns back, ...and she says, "we don't give them back, ...we destroy them....

Bahahaha...

socalsteel
09-13-2010, 10:31 AM
First of all let me start off by saying that I am an employee of Tamco Steel as well as a registered member of the NRA and CalGuns. What I'm seeing here is alot of chatter from alot of people in regards to things they know nothing about. I see the weapons come in and go through our furnace several times a year; guns, knifes, an RPG on one occasion - some beautifull weapons. Baca doesn't destroy the weapons in his own county because we are the last meltshop in California. We process thousands of tons of scrap a day so the bump we get from three or four thousand weapons at a time is a technicality to us. Project Isaiah slows down our production more than it helps. As to the question of the gun metal being a poor quaility for rebar: Our rebar is made of more than just crap we melt. We have many grades of steel from 40, 60, a706, s706 ect. All used from things as simple as gardens and retaining walls to freeways and high rises. Aside from the actual scrap there are various other elements we add to our steel - carbon, vanadium, silicon, etc, to get the grade and strength we desire. Every heat is quality tested 6 times in the 2 hour process from bare scrap to hot billet. As far as boycotting Tamco - that's a load of crap from people chiming in just to feel tuff on a subject they know dick about. Production has slowed down greatly for us in the last 2 years, we have layed off half of our workforce due to low demands, so damnit wherever we can sell our steel be it CA, AZ, NV, NY or export to china we do it in order to up sales and hopefully bring those men back to work and off unemployment to better take care of their family's. AZ makes no profit of buying our steel, they are treated and regarded as any other customer which is just good buisness. The politics of imagration and safe havens and all that are mute in this forum. If it was all up to me INS would be at the protests in LA for that shooting checking ID's and loading up vans! Thanks for your ear and I encourage you to read more into the nature of what you judge and comment on before you open your ignorant mouths.

Paindoc
09-13-2010, 10:41 AM
First of all let me start off by saying that I am an employee of Tamco Steel as well as a registered member of the NRA and CalGuns. What I'm seeing here is alot of chatter from alot of people in regards to things they know nothing about. I see the weapons come in and go through our furnace several times a year; guns, knifes, an RPG on one occasion - some beautifull weapons. Baca doesn't destroy the weapons in his own county because we are the last meltshop in California. We process thousands of tons of scrap a day so the bump we get from three or four thousand weapons at a time is a technicality to us. Project Isaiah slows down our production more than it helps. As to the question of the gun metal being a poor quaility for rebar: Our rebar is made of more than just crap we melt. We have many grades of steel from 40, 60, a706, s706 ect. All used from things as simple as gardens and retaining walls to freeways and high rises. Aside from the actual scrap there are various other elements we add to our steel - carbon, vanadium, silicon, etc, to get the grade and strength we desire. Every heat is quality tested 6 times in the 2 hour process from bare scrap to hot billet. As far as boycotting Tamco - that's a load of crap from people chiming in just to feel tuff on a subject they know dick about. Production has slowed down greatly for us in the last 2 years, we have layed off half of our workforce due to low demands, so damnit wherever we can sell our steel be it CA, AZ, NV, NY or export to china we do it in order to up sales and hopefully bring those men back to work and off unemployment to better take care of their family's. AZ makes no profit of buying our steel, they are treated and regarded as any other customer which is just good buisness. The politics of imagration and safe havens and all that are mute in this forum. If it was all up to me INS would be at the protests in LA for that shooting checking ID's and loading up vans! Thanks for your ear and I encourage you to read more into the nature of what you judge and comment on before you open your ignorant mouths.

+1 and Thanks SoCalSteel

maddoggie13
09-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Just sick...

jaymz
09-13-2010, 10:46 AM

So why doesn't TAMCO tell Baca to pound sand? It doesn't benefit you financially, so why bother?

Interloper
09-13-2010, 10:52 AM

Well now...that certainly puts the argument into perspective, eh wot? :sleeping:

sandman21
09-13-2010, 11:02 AM
A706 is not a grade of rebar, 40, 60 and 75 are grades. A615 is the typical rebar used, A706 is a weldable type of bar without the need for preheat. S706 is not a type of rebar as far as I know, are you referring to billet bar and not deformed bar?

DSA_FAL
09-13-2010, 12:43 PM
So why doesn't TAMCO tell Baca to pound sand? It doesn't benefit you financially, so why bother?

Because from the looks of it TAMCO is proud to destroy guns.

http://www.tamcosteel.com/comrel_prjisa.html

Not that I buy steel anyway but if I did I would boycott them for being anti-gun.

Wyatt Burp
09-13-2010, 1:01 PM
We are in a fiscal bottomless pit and they want to destroy these guns. Why not start a Calgov. classified ads website and put all these guns up for sale and the money could go towards whatever crap they want to waste it on? Don't worry. I know why. I'm just fantasizing. My fantasies make more sense than their reality.

Untamed1972
09-13-2010, 1:06 PM
We are in a fiscal bottomless pit and they want to destroy these guns. Why not start a Calgov. classified ads website and put all these guns up for sale and the money could go towards whatever crap they want to waste it on? Don't worry. I know why. I'm just fantasizing. My fantasies make more sense than their reality.

I dont particularly like giving the .gov on any level the incentive to make money by selling confiscated property. I dont want my 'gov to start viewing property confiscation as a revenue stream like they already do with other types crime/infractions. To mnay ways for that to go bad for everyone.

Interloper
09-13-2010, 1:10 PM
I dont particularly like giving the .gov on any level the incentive to make money by selling confiscated property. I dont want my 'gov to start viewing property confiscation as a revenue stream like they already do with other types crime/infractions. To mnay ways for that to go bad for everyone.

Except it's done every day with forfeitures like homes, boats, cars, etc. Why not guns? It sounds to me like TAMCO actually loses money on this arrangement...that is to say they would be so obviously the government is subsidizing it.

rromeo
09-13-2010, 1:55 PM

As to the question of the gun metal being a poor quaility for rebar: Our rebar is made of more than just crap we melt. We have many grades of steel from 40, 60, a706, s706 ect. All used from things as simple as gardens and retaining walls to freeways and high rises. Aside from the actual scrap there are various other elements we add to our steel - carbon, vanadium, silicon, etc, to get the grade and strength we desire. Every heat is quality tested 6 times in the 2 hour process from bare scrap to hot billet.

Here, take a joke.
http://giftchooser.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/20080328-joke-desk-block.jpg

PaperPuncher
09-13-2010, 1:59 PM
Sounds like a great racket to me.

LAPD: Will you guys melt these guns down and give us some rebar?
Tamco Steel: Sure...no problem, just drop them off, we will bring the rebar when it is ready :chris: :innocent::rofl2:
LAPD: Wow, that was easy
Tamco Mgnt.: Do you think we could just sell these at a discount and buy some rebar to give to the LAPD and then keep the profit?
Tamco steel memo to employees: Get your discounted/unregistered firearms
LAPD: Thanks for the rebar guys, this is great stuff!!
News article form the future (say... September, 2011): LAPD to give 8300 guns recovered from Criminals to Tamco steel to melt down and turn into rebar.

Rinse and repeat.