PDA

View Full Version : Importing guns- CA Law question

Matt C
04-21-2006, 6:42 PM
Can I buy a CA legal gun while at a gunshow in AZ, then bring it back with me and register it here?

Can I even buy a gun in AZ now that I am a CA resident?

Thx.

bwiese
04-21-2006, 6:46 PM
If you are a CA resident, just about all gun purchases (certain C&R exceptions) must run thru a CA FFL dealer.

Because of interplay of Fed law vs CA law, it is illegal as a CA resident for you to even acquire the gun in another state, whether or not you brought it into CA. So don't do any "paper-free parking lot transfers" in NV or AZ, you're violating Federal law.

Sorry to dash your hopes.

grammaton76
04-21-2006, 6:47 PM
Can I buy a CA legal gun while at a gunshow in AZ, then bring it back with me and register it here?

Can I even buy a gun in AZ now that I am a CA resident?

Generally, no.

1. If you have a C&R license, you can buy guns made 50 or more years ago, in Arizona.

2. If you haven't surrendered your AZ residency, then you can still buy guns as an Arizona resident and (in the case of handguns) just pay the import fee when bringing them to your California residence.

3. If neither of these apply, you can look and drool, but the only thing you can do is give the guy your money and have him ship the gun to California to go through a transfer dealer in CA.

Matt C
04-21-2006, 6:56 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought but I wanted to confirm it. I applied for a C&R but it's not here yet. Thanks for the info.

EOD Guy
04-22-2006, 5:00 AM
Generally, no.

1. If you have a C&R license, you can buy guns made 50 or more years ago, in Arizona.

No, you can buy any C&R firearm and bring it back, except for "assault weapons.". It doesn't have to be 50 years old. Handguns have to be registered within 5 days of entry into the state.

Matt C
04-23-2006, 3:24 AM
It is my understanding CA only recognises guns more than 50 years old as C&R.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-23-2006, 3:52 AM
It is my understanding CA only recognises guns more than 50 years old as C&R.

No, California recognizes all C&R guns as C&R.

It's just that C&R long guns need to be at least 50 years old to be exempt from California's dealer transfer and DROS requirements. So that kind of makes is seem like California only recognizes guns more than 50 years old as C&R.

But California C&R licensees can buy C&R handguns and rifles of any age while they are traveling outside of California because federal law says that transfers of firearms between licensees only have to be legal in the state that the transfer takes place, while transfers from a licensee to an out of state non-licensee have to be legal in both states.

And California recognizes C&R handguns of any age as C&R for the purposes of the "drop test" exemption. So even though Calfornia C&R licensees can't have C&R handguns shipped directly to their door, the handguns are still considered C&R by California.

A firearm being considered C&R by California and a C&R FFL's ability to have that firearm shipped to their door are two separate issues, though admittedly, they might not seem that way if you are trying to have something shipped to your door.

maxicon
04-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Here's a thought:

The reason a Californian can't buy a long gun in another state, as you can with many states, is because the transaction has to abide by the laws of both states, per Federal definition. This means a 10 day waiting period (which most dealers in other states don't want to and won't deal with) and transfer through Cali FFL (which negates the benefits of buying out of state).

However, as we know, Cali law does allow PPT transfer of a 50+ year old long gun without a waiting period or an FFL transfer.

By this, it would be legal for a Cali resident to buy a PPT 50+ year old long gun in another state (if the transaction's legal in the other state and the gun's legal to own in Cali) and bring it back to California, even without a C&R license.

Am I missing a hole somewhere?

max

Mssr. Eleganté
04-23-2006, 1:41 PM
You are correct. I just mentioned the same thing in another thread...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=32400

You would have to purchase the 50+ year old long gun from a Licensed Dealer or Licensed Collector and the purchase would have to take place at their licensed premises in order to comply with Federal law. And, like you said, the long gun would have to be legal in California.

Matt C
04-23-2006, 2:18 PM
A California resident travelling out of state can buy C&R long guns that are at least 50 years old from a Licensed Dealer or Licensed Collector who is licensed in that state. The California resident does not need a C&R FFL to do this.

Here's why...

Federal law says FFL's can sell long guns to out of state residents as long as the transaction is legal in both states, and as long as the transaction takes place at the FFL's licensed premises.

California law says C&R long guns over 50 years old are exempt from the requirement to be transfered through a California Licensed FFL Dealer and be DROS'd, as long as neither party is a California Licensed FFL Dealer.

LOL, great I see this the day I back from my trip to AZ for the gun show!:) Oh well, I would have just been even more broke than I am now.