PDA

View Full Version : pulling a bullet out of you?

San FranPsycho
07-26-2010, 2:04 AM
just watched MANSWERS...just wondering..anyone here know about or ever performed a home-done bullet extraction surgery..from yourself or someone else? is it feasible to do in a SHTF scenario or better off leaving it in?

johnthomas
07-26-2010, 2:20 AM
Aside from bacterial infection more damage could be done taking it out. When any foreign object, knife, arrow or bullet inters the body, it forces it's way through tissue, blood vessels, arteries and organs.
Going in blind can make the situation worse. Internal bleeding is possible and depending where it lands, death may follow. Even doctors rely on modern machines, blood tests and other things to help them decide if you are bleeding to death and your loss of blood is much more than you can take before a transfusion is given.

sherm2954
07-26-2010, 6:58 AM
I never do it myself...I always rely on my drug-addict, former doctor turned illegal vet/surgeon to do it for me in a poorly lit room in a tenamant building...preferably while he sweats all over me and smokes a cigarette....thank god for obamacare...I'm pretty sure this procedure will be covered...

glockman19
07-26-2010, 8:32 AM
How do you think they did it in the wild west? sharp knife, tweesers, wiskey. Cut an incision, dig out bullet, steralize with wiskey/alcohol, use gun powder to cotorize and close incision. Wrap with clean bandage. Clean every day. hydrogen peroxide and bedidine solution would be good it you have it.

It will leave a neaty scar.

WTSGDYBBR
07-26-2010, 8:36 AM
Yea I watched it as well late last night . You can also get $200-$500 for donating sperm per load.

PsychGuy274
07-26-2010, 9:06 AM
Man up!!!

Get drunk, dig your fingers in there, get it out, take a blow torch to the wound and cauterize it. Jeez.

BTW, I'm an authority on this. I've seen many movies where this has been done successfully.

J-cat
07-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Yea I watched it as well late last night . You can also get $200-$500 for donating sperm per load.

Not a good deal when you may be on the hook for child support down the road.

PatriotnMore
07-26-2010, 10:42 AM
If you do not debride http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debridement your chances of survival and healing drop dramatically. As far as how they did it in the old days, far more died than lived, and it was pretty standard practice in the Civil War to remove limbs, rather than try surgeries to save it.

OffGrid
07-26-2010, 11:00 AM
When I was 12 my cousin thought it would be a good idea to use a pellet during one of our BB gun wars and disregard the 2 pump limit. I got shot in the knee.

The pellet went in through my jeans, went in through the skin, hit my knee cap and mushroomed out. My dad stuck a pair of needle nose pliers in, grabbed the pellet and gave a good yank. If that was just a pellet coming out I donít even want to mess with yanking a bullet.

Get me drunk, tie me down, then knock me the heck out first.

Doheny
07-26-2010, 11:06 AM
I can't see a good reason to try to remove it yourself. Even if you were hunting in the outback, you'll still only 24-28 hours away from proper medical care. Better to wait and have it done properly than booger it up yourself, risk infection, etc.

shooting4life
07-26-2010, 11:20 AM
I thought everyone took their own bullets out?

Farquaad
07-26-2010, 11:23 AM
After President Garfield was shot he began to recover until doctors continually probed his gunshot wound with their unsterilized fingers in an attempt to find and remove the bullet. Just to underline the dangers of this in and of itself one of the "doctors" even punctured the poor guys liver with his finger. Infection set in and the President died.

At the assassins trial one of his defenses was actually that he had only shot the president, it was the doctors that killed him, and he would have been right. Today doctors probably would have left the bullet in his body and let the wound heal.

Finally even in the old day of lead bullets the threat of lead poisoning if the bullet was left in was minimal. Metallic lead isn't very soluble in the human body, it needs to oxidize first, and hence is fairly inert. There are rare cases of lead poisoning from bullets left in body's but if you were a 18th century cowboy or SHTF and you've already been shot you probably wont live long enough to worry about it.

j1133s
07-26-2010, 11:24 AM
just watched MANSWERS...just wondering..anyone here know about or ever performed a home-done bullet extraction surgery..from yourself or someone else? is it feasible to do in a SHTF scenario or better off leaving it in?

I'm a little bit curious too. I offer to shoot you (in non-vital part) and let you try to take it out; I'll call ambulance if you faint or something. This way you can experience first hand, I'll be satisfied w/ 2nd hand account.

willm952
07-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Assuming you successfully removed the bullet (using latex-free gloves or nitrile gloves (just a tad thicker))--body contanimation isolation is very important don't know what's in the chap's blood, ever see 28 days later?--, to control the bleeding and seal the wound, you'd use an antibiotic to sterilize the wound (iodine, alcohol works in a pinch but wouldn't want to be the recipient) and apply quickklot gauze and apply Direct Pressure for 5 minutes. There's a quickklot gauze with ionic silver quickklot silver sport plus that would work best. the ionic silver fights off bacteria. another reason to have silver around. can't do that with gold. to remove the quickklot gauze using hopefully sterile water, distilled if available, just pour over the gauze area. That's it! Consider taking a tactical medicine class. You won't learn anything even close to what you're describing in a cpr/1st aid/aha certification class. They don't teach field expedient medicine. The certification, including red cross cpr is really for liability purposes.

Heard of a class by recce in san diego where they had a negligent discharge and no one knew what to do. I'm sure it turned out fine and all but still someone should know.

Hope this helps and hopefully you won't ever have to use any of this but better to be prepared and have nothing happen though.

Decoligny
07-26-2010, 11:57 AM
A guy I work with had his father dig several birdshot pellets out of his calf on their kitchen table.

I had my dad try to remove a small rock from my knee with an exacto knife and tweezers when I was 13. I fell on a railroad tie and drove a pointy pebble into my knee. It unfortunately migrated down about two inches on my bike ride home. He couldn't get it. The E.R. doc numbed it up and even he had trouble as the pebble had a little barb on it and kept popping back inside.

WTSGDYBBR
07-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Your right that would be crazy lol

dirtydeedsdoneinthedesert
07-26-2010, 12:05 PM
I can be done. Just be sure to pour beer on the wound to sterilize it before operating.

stitchnicklas
07-26-2010, 12:31 PM
drunk ,knockout,sterilize ALL things,make a incision retract wound rip bullet out,sew shut,wait to heal or die,which ever happens first

Decoligny
07-26-2010, 12:40 PM
I can be done. Just be sure to pour beer on the wound to sterilize it before operating.

You best be talking about that 55% alcohol beer. Regular beer doesn't have nearly a high enough alcohol content to be an effective sterilizing agent. Go with as high an alcohol content liquor as you have available. Bacardi 151, or Everclear would be my choices.

NiteQwill
07-26-2010, 1:46 PM
I took a round out of a guy's head while overseas. If anyone wants to see the nice pictures, let me know, I'll post 'em. :)

TurboChrisB
07-26-2010, 1:50 PM
OK, I'll bite, post em up!

Rekrab
07-26-2010, 1:51 PM

Nearly impossible, the only way this could happen is if you went to a bad sperm bank that didn't make sure all deposits were made anonymously with only the basic required information, or you made an effort to contact the recipient.

Redlinegts
07-26-2010, 2:09 PM
Or do what Mark Wahlberg did in Shooter ;)

SgtDinosaur
07-26-2010, 2:40 PM
I shot myself in the index finger with a BB gun when I was a kid. My dad tried to cut it out with a kitchen knife but couldn't get it, so he finally gave up and took me to the hospital. Turns out the BB had lodged itself right up to the bone. The doc got it out, and I'm sitting here looking at the scar 40+ years later. Ah, the memories.

Ding126
07-26-2010, 2:45 PM
doctors have also been known to leave the bullet in..rather than damaging more tissue.

Rivers
07-26-2010, 2:50 PM
I never do it myself...I always rely on my drug-addict, former doctor turned illegal vet/surgeon to do it for me in a poorly lit room in a tenamant building...preferably while he sweats all over me and smokes a cigarette....thank god for obamacare...I'm pretty sure this procedure will be covered...

You forgot the part when he spills a small amount of bourbon from the wide-brimmed glass from which he just took a two-second gulp. And the cigarette might have been a cheap cigar that he rolled himself. He was probably wearing a wife-beater undershirt too, soaked to the skin in sweat. If the pain didn't knock you out, his stink would have! And yes, I believe this is the new standard to be expected with Obamacare.

NiteQwill
07-26-2010, 6:22 PM
OK, I'll bite, post em up!

I'll post em soon, I have to crop out some stuff to ensure privacy (it was a US civilian).

Scratch705
07-26-2010, 6:28 PM
Or do what Mark Wahlberg did in Shooter ;)

that only works if it was a through and through. no bullet was left inside him so it made it easier to get patched up.