PDA

View Full Version : Out of curiousity. . .

Major Miner II
04-21-2006, 2:33 PM
how do you guys figure the whole "lower" thing has improved the state economy?

I've read this several times, and, unless the lowers are being made here (which I don't think many, if any are), then you are:

1. Improving the economy of another state

2. Spreading a little wealth around the state here with the dealer mark-up, which is negligible.

3. Funding DOJ with your DROS fees (and in the case of Milpitas, your reDROS and reDROS and reDros fees).

I just don't get where there is this huge benefit to California.

Anyone?

grammaton76
04-21-2006, 2:37 PM
Well, I know that Ammobros is a local ammunition manufacturer, and is selling a lot more 223 than they used to! :)

However, I would also ask the question of, why do we care about the money staying in this state? They basically don't want us to have guns AT ALL, so perhaps our gun money going to other states might send a message or two, eh?

Henry47
04-21-2006, 2:37 PM
increased traffic at gun ranges?

Major Miner II
04-21-2006, 2:39 PM
increased traffic at gun ranges?
Nah. Most people won't build their's up while they wait for the loophole to kick in, and let's face it.

We're all going to the range regardless.

Major Miner II
04-21-2006, 2:41 PM
However, I would also ask the question of, why do we care about the money staying in this state? They basically don't want us to have guns AT ALL, so perhaps our gun money going to other states might send a message or two, eh?
I agree. But it's one of the things they keep saying.

ohsmily
04-21-2006, 2:43 PM
I agree. But it's one of the things they keep saying.

I never heard that. What people have posted is that it is helping the national gun industry, not CA. The amount of accessories, lowers, uppers, optics, etc, that CA owners are buying gave a bump up to the AR market. This doesn't really affect CA industry as much...

how about a link to what you are talking about.

Major Miner II
04-21-2006, 2:48 PM
I never heard that. What people have posted is that it is helping the national gun industry, not CA. The amount of accessories, lowers, uppers, optics, etc, that CA owners are buying gave a bump up to the AR market. This doesn't really affect CA industry as much...

how about a link to what you are talking about.
I said people have posted that it's a boost to the CALIFORNIA economy.

*MY* point is that it really isn't much of one.

bwiese
04-21-2006, 2:52 PM
I agree that this is a drop in the bucket. It's probably more of a help in short-term profits to gun dealers that suffer from overregulation & high cost of biz.

[I think the only person really asserting unproved massive economic benefits is user 'shopkeep', who has a breathless enthusiasm for the whole off-list gig.]

Let's say there's 40,000 lowers sold into CA; let's say a gun dealer makes $60 per lower, avg.

That's only $2.4Mil - which is nothing relative to CA's economy (5th largest in the world.)

Let's say everyone bought $600 in uppers + accessories, from CA vendors.
Let's say the avg profit is $60ish again, which is realistic. That's another $2.4Mil. Again, nothing relative to CA economy.

A few bucks' sales tax goes to the G. Maybe $1M goes to DOJ for DROS fees.

GTKrockeTT
04-21-2006, 2:56 PM
agree, small drop. i don't see wes or hector rolling around in ferraris just yet.

ohsmily
04-21-2006, 3:37 PM
I said people have posted that it's a boost to the CALIFORNIA economy.

*MY* point is that it really isn't much of one.

I KNOW WHAT YOU SAID...I haven't seen those posts...I am asking for you to post a link to them. I have seen posts about people believing this is boosting the national gun industry, NOT the CA one. So where have you seen it?

grammaton76
04-21-2006, 3:40 PM
agree, small drop. i don't see wes or hector rolling around in ferraris just yet.

They probably would be, if they weren't gun nuts like us who keep re-investing the profits in their collections! :)

ohsmily
04-21-2006, 3:42 PM
Let's say there's 40,000 lowers sold into CA; let's say a gun dealer makes $60 per lower, avg.

Lets say everyone spent a grand on LPKs, uppers, accessories (cases, magazines, gimmicky things, etc) and optics. Thats 40 million total (not to mention the cost of the lower). That isn't bad for a market that wasn't there 6 months ago. The people producing AR related items are definitely seeing an increase in sales and this is more than a little drop in that market. As for the claim that this is affecting the CA economy generally?? what nonsense...I don't even think anyone said that which is why I asked that guy to post a link to what he is refuting.

VeryCoolCat
04-21-2006, 3:46 PM
If we had more local gunshops that sported the same equipment. We'd get more sales that have state taxes applicable to them. Rather than buying across states.

Which with the advent of the internet will eventually have import taxes on online sales coming into california.

bwiese
04-21-2006, 3:46 PM
Lets say everyone spent a grand on LPKs, uppers, accessories (cases, magazines, gimmicky things, etc) and optics. Thats 40 million total (not to mention the cost of the lower). That isn't bad for a market that wasn't there 6 months ago.

Yes, but I'd bet that a significant fraction (over 50%, likely 70%) folks are getting their uppers out of state/mail order.

knight_dive
04-21-2006, 5:14 PM
Regardless of the total dollars spent, it is nice to see people outside of California angry at us for spending "too much" money and buying "too many" guns and parts for a change. It seems you just can't make some people happy:rolleyes:

MadMex
04-21-2006, 6:15 PM
Of momentary, passing significance to some local gun shops. In the grand scheme of the stateís economy, itís less significant than paper clip sales.

Gunsrruss
04-21-2006, 6:33 PM
Just about everything comes from out of state. Both my lowers and the parts kits ,plus the butt stock Lead, along with the butt stocks. I plan to buy a upper from Pirate, but he to will have to order it from somewhere and get it shipped to me. Tax dollars on stuff purchased here like the lowers is about all the state will see. Of course there are the Dros fees along with registration when it comes about.

ohsmily
04-21-2006, 8:14 PM
Yes, but I'd bet that a significant fraction (over 50%, likely 70%) folks are getting their uppers out of state/mail order.

I meant it was affecting the national gun industry, not the CA economy. (yes, most people do mail order from out of state). 40 million isn't HUGE, but it is somewhat significant for the national gun industry.

Kruzr
04-21-2006, 8:25 PM
It's contributed to the Southern Calif economy by all the gasoline being sold by people who drove to Highland and now Riverside. :)

FastTrak also probably sold more transmitters for the 91.