View Full Version : Ruger New Vacquero....

Droppin Deuces
07-25-2010, 5:51 PM
Hey all,
I'm looking for a bright, shiny six shooter to compliment my black AR and am really liking the Ruger New Vacquero. Before I go to any dealers, though, I would like to have an idea of what I should expect to pay for one of these things. Specifically the stainless version in .357. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

07-25-2010, 6:07 PM
We have one in 45LC, 7 inch barrel for around $550 I think. Ill double check Monday. Its an actual Vaquero though. We have a New Vaquero, black, 45LC for $500 IIRC.

07-25-2010, 8:09 PM
Depending on where you live you might want to check Turners website then click on online gun rack then click on used guns they have a couple of Vaqueros at reasonable prices. I know if I had the money I'd get that 357 to go with my 45 and 44mag. Both are 4 5/8 stainless and I'd like to have that 357 to round out the stable.

Droppin Deuces
07-25-2010, 9:06 PM
Thanks, guys. Very helpful.

Another one I came across that is very intriguing is the Uberti Stallion .22lr/.22 mag convertible. Do you guys know anything about this particular brand?

07-25-2010, 9:09 PM
We have one in 45LC, 7 inch barrel for around $550 I think. Ill double check Monday. Its an actual Vaquero though. We have a New Vaquero, black, 45LC for $500 IIRC.

Where do you work?

07-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Ruger New Model Vaquero is a fine handgun; ready to go out of the box for Cowboy Action (or any other!) shooting, handles and shoots for me a lot better than the Old Model.

Should go for a bit over $500.00; if you get one that's been fine-tuned, a bit more.

Great choice,

07-26-2010, 8:54 AM
The NewVaq rocks. Tough as hell, accurate and has an internal safety similar to modern DA wheelguns so you can carry six-up.

If the hammer reach seems a bit long, you can swap out to a lower hammer very easily from the rest of the Ruger parts catalog. The SuperBlackhawk hammer drops in easily, the Bisley hammer will fit with a bit of dremeling to some non-critical areas at the rear of the hammer.

My daily carry CCW piece (I'm in Tucson) is a NewVaq357 in blue, 4.68" barrel, 2005 fairly early vintage. Heavily modified - SBH hammer, spring kit, altered grips and the most extreme sight mods this side of a red dot.

One little thing: there's an interesting variant of the NewVaq available relatively cheap. CDNN Investments is blowing out the 50th Anniversary 357 Blackhawk for about $360. By the time it's at your local dealer you're still out the door (even in Cali) for less than $450. This is the same size/quality as a NewVaq, but with adjustable sights, 4.68" barrel, all-blue, 357Mag. Again: it's NOT built on the oversize 44Magnum-class frame as the other post-1973 Blackhawks.

Droppin Deuces
07-26-2010, 10:39 AM
I envy you for being able to carry, and even more for carrying a six shooter.

I had looked at the Blackhawk, but I really prefer the simplicity/elegance of the fixed sights on the Vaquero. And as Longbow alluded to, it will be more of a fun/cowboy style shooter than anything, so no adjustable sights required.

Thanks again, guys. I'm going to go check them out today and, thanks to your responses, I feel much more confident knowing how much I should be looking to pay.

07-28-2010, 8:48 AM
Where do you work?

Breco in Clovis

07-28-2010, 9:12 AM
You should be able to get a NewVaq for $500. If a place wants more than that, look elsewhere.

07-28-2010, 9:19 AM
Just a side note, I have a blackhawk convertible in 45colt/45acp. 4.62 inch barrel. They also have 357/9mm models. One day would like to get one of those. Ammo cost ect for plinking.