PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1911 100 Year Model

ChopperX
07-25-2010, 6:43 PM
Hey guys im turning 21 next april and I want to buy the commemorative 1911 2011 model since its one of my favorite pistols ever. Do you think California will approve it to be put on the safe list? I sure hope they do. So how much do you think it will cost. I have quite a bit saved up but not sure how much more I need too. Also do you think they might have it in april since its limited edition.

Tell me what ya guys think.

nickvig
07-25-2010, 6:49 PM
Based on this sheet:

http://www.coltsmfg.com/upload/news/100yr%20Commerative%20Flyer.pdf

It's built off the O1918 platform and a true Series 70 gun, so it won't make it onto the Cali legal list.

MSRP will probably be in the $1000-1200 range if I had to guess. IIRC the O1918 listed at $950.

sevensix2x51
07-25-2010, 6:55 PM
got family out of state? they could buy it and hang onto it for you, right? thats not a straw purchase, is it? if they ppt it to you when they visit?

Blackhawk556
07-25-2010, 6:59 PM
Is that one of those guns you would buy and never shoot????
I can't see myself buying a$1000+ gun and never shooting it

Malthusian
07-25-2010, 7:08 PM
got family out of state? they could buy it and hang onto it for you, right? thats not a straw purchase, is it? if they ppt it to you when they visit?

Family out of State
Yes
Hang on to it
Yes
PPT when they visit
No

PPT even Intra-Family must be residents of the same State

Your Dad could buy it for you and ship it to you as a gift with a gift letter
The FFL would need to know how and be willing to do an "off list", "off roster" intrafamily transfer
from out of State

A straw purchase is when you purchase a gun from someone who is "not eligible" to own a firearm.

Colt
07-25-2010, 7:11 PM
There are a couple models scheduled to come out - I wonder f any of them would be C&R, like some of the other Colt commemorative 1911's...

Falstaff
07-25-2010, 7:19 PM
Couldnt an out of state family member have an FFL make the transfer to a CA FFL of an ON ROSTER gun?

plumbum
07-25-2010, 8:19 PM
I was under the impression that a collectors edition of a handgun would qualify under a C&R and therefore exempt from drop test regulations?

Malthusian
07-25-2010, 8:40 PM
Couldnt an out of state family member have an FFL make the transfer to a CA FFL of an ON ROSTER gun?

If the gun were on the roster, you could just buy it here in CA.
On roster or off roster. Out of State linear family members must utilize
a FFL to faciltate the transfer

I was under the impression that a collectors edition of a handgun would qualify under a C&R and therefore exempt from drop test regulations?

C&R are firearms that are over 50 years old.

This collectors edition Colt is one of the many downfalls of the roster. Collectible and custom made firearms will "never" be available to CA residents
Except through the various loopholes, LEO, military stationed in another state with residence in CA, linear family out of State and residents moving into the State with their collections

redcliff
07-25-2010, 9:37 PM

This collectors edition Colt is one of the many downfalls of the roster. Collectible and custom made firearms will "never" be available to CA residents
Except through the various loopholes, LEO, military stationed in another state with residence in CA, linear family out of State and residents moving into the State with their collections

Not all C&R's are 50 years old. There is a procedure to request commemorative or special interest firearms be added to the C&R list. As an example, original Bren 10 pistols are C&R despite none of them being 50 years old. There are many other examples of commemorative firearms less than 50 years old being C&R.

ChopperX
07-25-2010, 9:49 PM
Well thats a bummer. if it was cal legal then I would buy it and shoot it for sure but not as often as my others. But that is a real bummer. I dont have any relatives that would buy it and keep it for me haha. Thanks for the help guys now I know. Price is also what i expected.

Colt
07-25-2010, 10:49 PM

Huh? Not all C&R can be brought in? Are you sure?