PDA

View Full Version : ACOG substitute

Notblake
07-25-2010, 5:31 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering if any other manufacturer makes a scope that uses a fiber optic to light up the retical. (i think it is the coolest thing since sliced bread) but no freaking way can I afford that kind of money for glass right now. (college budget don't cha know)

1 SIG fan
07-25-2010, 5:38 PM
The "original acog"..... Accept no substitute
However, jeffu (board member here ) supposed to sell a pretty nice and real cheap one. Not sure if it uses the fiber or not but it my be backlit which would serve the same purpose unless shtf... Search him or look in the marketplace

Notblake
07-25-2010, 5:40 PM
The "original acog"..... Accept no substitute
However, jeffu (board member here ) supposed to sell a pretty nice and real cheap one. Not sure if it uses the fiber or not but it my be backlit which would serve the same purpose unless shtf... Search him or look in the marketplace

I am currently accepting charitible donations to the "Original ACOG ..... Accept no substitute" foundation.

OAANS: putting quality glass on the rails of college students since 2010

tomd1584
07-25-2010, 5:51 PM
gotta pay to play.

SuperSet
07-25-2010, 5:56 PM
Have you thought about the Trijicon Accupoint series? It uses the same fiber optic channel technology as the ACOG, except it is a variable scope vs. fixed magnification. Someone is selling a TR21 for less than $500 on this board.

rero360
07-25-2010, 6:21 PM
Ramen noodles my man, I went on the cup o soup meal plan while I was in school to save up for both my ACOG and my USO.

thefinger
07-25-2010, 7:21 PM
Check out the Elcan Specter 3.4x scopes. They sell new for $900+, but you can find used ones online for $350-400. They're high quality glass with better eye relief and FOV than ACOGs. They don't use fiber optics for illumination, but they have tritium that illuminates the reticle nicely in low-light. The Canadian military issues them to their soldiers for use on the Canadian C7 rifle (M16 clone). It's basically the Canadian ACOG.

Good comparison of the Elcan vs. ACOG here...
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_3_49/ai_97170890/

Here's a pic of my rifle with the Elcan 3.4x that I bought a few weeks ago.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb47/safigero/8bc76e5d.jpg?t=1277767193

metalliman545
07-25-2010, 8:37 PM
Check out the Elcan Specter 3.4x scopes. They sell new for $900+, but you can find used ones online for $350-400. They're high quality glass with better eye relief and FOV than ACOGs. They don't use fiber optics for illumination, but they have tritium that illuminates the reticle nicely in low-light. The Canadian military issues them to their soldiers for use on the Canadian C7 rifle (M16 clone). It's basically the Canadian ACOG.

Good comparison of the Elcan vs. ACOG here...
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_3_49/ai_97170890/

Here's a pic of my rifle with the Elcan 3.4x that I bought a few weeks ago.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb47/safigero/8bc76e5d.jpg?t=1277767193

garbageeeeeeeeeeeeeee, we use that on our M240s and SAWs hell i got one in my room right now. they arent that great, bulky, you gotta your eye right up in there and if your arent careful scope bite.

metalliman545
07-25-2010, 10:02 PM
and since pics or it didnt happen here ya go, we call it the M145

http://img237.imageshack.us/i/008sq.jpg/
http://img231.imageshack.us/i/007sa.jpg/

metalliman545
07-25-2010, 10:03 PM
http://img237.imageshack.us/i/008sq.jpg/
http://img231.imageshack.us/i/007sa.jpg/

thefinger
07-25-2010, 11:07 PM
The one I have on my rifle is the C79 model. I has a different reticle than the M145 model that the US uses. My reticle is a single verticle post with illuminated chevron at the top of the post, and rangefinding horizontal lines that also partially illuminate.

For what its worth, my Marine buddy told me he hated his M145 when he was active in Iraq. However, I like mine a lot so far. Very crisp, bright glass, huge field of view, and I haven't had problems with the eye relief. It is a bit heavy, but for $350 its a durable and high-quality unit. Of course I do hope to upgrade to an ACOG down the road...

metalliman545
07-26-2010, 2:31 AM
The one I have on my rifle is the C79 model. I has a different reticle than the M145 model that the US uses. My reticle is a single verticle post with illuminated chevron at the top of the post, and rangefinding horizontal lines that also partially illuminate.

For what its worth, my Marine buddy told me he hated his M145 when he was active in Iraq. However, I like mine a lot so far. Very crisp, bright glass, huge field of view, and I haven't had problems with the eye relief. It is a bit heavy, but for $350 its a durable and high-quality unit. Of course I do hope to upgrade to an ACOG down the road...

to each his own. i like to stay away from as much "military" type things as possible. i guess cuz i see it to much.

Jeffu
07-26-2010, 3:02 AM
I agree, you can look into the Accupoint series. You'll find great deals in the private accessories section as well. Goodluck!

Duffy
07-26-2010, 1:01 PM
The 3.4x ELCAN does not have better FOV than 4x32 ACOGs.

thefinger
07-26-2010, 2:41 PM
@Duffy:

According to their advertisements, the Elcan has a FOV of 46 feet at 100 meters (109 yds). ACOGs have a FOV of 36.8 feet at 100 yards.

ACOGs have a 7 FOV. Elcans have 8 FOV.

Unless the advertisements are wrong, I believe that means Elcan wins (by a hair) on the FOV.

And just to be clear.. I'd much rather have an ACOG, but I think people should at least give the Elcan credit for it's strengths.

ArkinDomino
07-26-2010, 3:59 PM
Ramen noodles my man, I went on the cup o soup meal plan while I was in school to save up for both my ACOG and my USO.

This.

I did this only to justify a whole other AR and expand my gun budget.

CrippledPidgeon
07-26-2010, 4:35 PM

That'll do it. I bought my ACOG when I was a student, although I lucked out and got it for the price of a Benelli Super Nova (about $600) after several trades.

Just keep your eye out for that awesome deal.

Chuntsman949
07-26-2010, 4:50 PM
or you can say **** it poney up and pay it off over a few months on the CC

Mail Clerk
07-28-2010, 7:48 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering if any other manufacturer makes a scope that uses a fiber optic to light up the retical. (i think it is the coolest thing since sliced bread) but no freaking way can I afford that kind of money for glass right now. (college budget don't cha know)

Notblake,

Depending on your budget the best i canrecommend as a substitute ACOG sight might be from Baraska OR Bushnell. Both do not have any type of fiber optic capability though.

Personally if you don't mind the look of a mini style/type why don't you just consider a standard "red dot"????? Can I recommend a version from Primary Arms. They have a small version that will clear your front sight post (assuming you have an AR-15 style) everything is included in the box to mount and is very reasonable for a red dot.

Good luck,

Mail Clerk

uscbigdawg
08-07-2010, 12:10 PM
ACOG's are great for a 'tacticool' factor, but there are options out there other than them. I have 2 and frankly, use my Meopta and EOTech's more than the ACOG's 'cause...they're better IMHO.

Rich

ExtremeX
09-26-2010, 5:18 PM
+1 on a REAL ACOG. If you can afford it, get it.

The glass alone in that sight is just amazing. It’s so freakin clear it makes me feel like the reticle is embedded onto my contact lens.

My only gripe on the ACOGs is I can’t decide on a magnification level. And at the price, it’s not easy to make a decision.

odysseus
09-26-2010, 5:28 PM
You don't need an ACOG "substitute" unless you are trying to pose to look like you have one that is not. I would say: Don't do that. As mentioned there are plenty of good optics out there to fit a job you can put your money to.

Saying that I also do have an ACOG with a doctor optic RDS attached to it. I love the setup and the reason for the ACOG first is true damn strong durability and reliability, and if you have the fiber optic with the tritium it does great in that low level light in the shadows shooting.