PDA

View Full Version : one of five thousand

nelson109
07-25-2010, 1:29 PM
i have a browning classic, one of five thousand, 9mm. stainless steel, engraved by Ph. OZIEWA. its got a gold plated trigger, and its in a wooden case, with the origional 13 round magazine. i dont know much about it, but its been sitting in my closet for 11 years, and its time to get rid of it. it was a gift when i graduated the sheriffs academy.

can anyone give me any info on this gun? maybe an idea of what its worth. ive seen two for sale. one for $2400 and one for $3300. im not looking to get top dollar for it, i just want to be able to list it at a good price to get rid of it. if its worth 2 grand ill ask 1500. there has got to be a collector out there that would like to have it. i just have no use for it.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, nelson.

BenjaminCA
07-25-2010, 2:08 PM
If at all possible please post some pictures of the gun, I can't help you much with the price but I would love to see it.

nelson109
07-25-2010, 2:27 PM
its a nice looking gun, with some great engraving. cant find much info on it. the serial codes look normal, but the date codes are not like anything ive found. they are 245bc1792. it looks like its stainless steel, but a magnet will stick lightly. i understand some higher strenght ss is magnetic, so maybe thats the case. it says made in belgium by fabrique nationale herstal on one side of the slide, on the other it says browning arms company morgan, utah & montreal p.q. has an engraved picture of browning, bunch of eagles and a bob cat and other birds. nice engraving. on one side its engraved browning classic, on the other its engraved one of five thousand.

littlejake
07-25-2010, 5:07 PM
There is one for sale on gunbroker.com at $2900. Has some nice pictures.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=180477904

It does look like it might be stainless steel. SS has to be at least 18% chromium and 10% nickel to not be attracted to common magnets -- even 18/8 shows some ferromagnetic properties to powerful rare earth magnets.

That's a nice gift for graduation from the academy; too bad you're selling it.

The Browning High Power has an alternate designation as the P35. It's been in production since 1935. Yours is a late commemorative issue. You'll have to find someone who is a true collector of P35s.

In my opinion, a WWII era P35 in good condition is more desirable as a collectible.

With limited exceptions -- which I'll let you look into, you cannot transfer the magazine to a person in California. It's greater than 10 rounds. That will limit interest in your P35... without the magazine, it loses interest and value.

Kindest Regards,

Jake

nelson109
07-25-2010, 6:37 PM
well thats it. im not much of a gun collector. i prefer guns that are practical. im not in law enforcement anymore, so i sold my 9mm and 40 cal sigs. i kept my 226 .45, in case i ever want to take a burglars head off his shoulders:D i here the high power browning is actually a nice gun, but i wouldnt ever want to fire this one, so to me its just not much fun to own.

ive had my fun shooting in the marine corps, and in my years as a sheriffs deputy, but im pretty much over recreational shooting. i have a nice shotgun for dove hunting, a good little 10-22 to have fun with the rodents, and my trusty sig if anyone decides to violate my home. time for this one to go to someone who will enjoy it. its a waste to let it sit in the closet.

i guess ill have to list it somewhere at a reduced price, and if someone in ca wants it, ill just sell it without the magazine, and they will accidently find the magazine in there pocket when they pick it up.

so anyone know anyone that wants it.

zinfull
07-25-2010, 6:47 PM
In what area of the state do you live?

jerry

nelson109
07-25-2010, 8:23 PM
in ventura county. good news, the magazine will not hold 13 rounds. it must have been modified to hold less so it wold no longer be considered a hi capacity magazine, and it would be legal to transfer ownership of the magazine. i just attempted to put 13 in it and it would only hold 10.

nelson109
07-25-2010, 8:58 PM
There is one for sale on gunbroker.com at $2900. Has some nice pictures.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=180477904

It does look like it might be stainless steel. SS has to be at least 18% chromium and 10% nickel to not be attracted to common magnets -- even 18/8 shows some ferromagnetic properties to powerful rare earth magnets.

That's a nice gift for graduation from the academy; too bad you're selling it.

The Browning High Power has an alternate designation as the P35. It's been in production since 1935. Yours is a late commemorative issue. You'll have to find someone who is a true collector of P35s.

In my opinion, a WWII era P35 in good condition is more desirable as a collectible.

With limited exceptions -- which I'll let you look into, you cannot transfer the magazine to a person in California. It's greater than 10 rounds. That will limit interest in your P35... without the magazine, it loses interest and value.

Kindest Regards,

Jake

jake thank you for the great information, i appreciate your help. you are right, and i had forgotten that high capacity magazines cannot be legally transferred. it has been years since i worked as a LEO, but i do recall that hi cap mags, that had been permanently modified to hold less than 10 rounds, could be transfered, as it would no longer be considered a hi cap mag.

well, i checked it, and it appears as though it only holds 10 rounds. looks like its legal to transfer it with the gun. good news for me, considering the value of the gun will not decrease. thanks again.