PDA

View Full Version : Contra Costa Times writes pro-microstamping article

Creeping Incrementalism
04-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Today's Contra Costa Times, on the front page, has an article on microstamping with a bias that it is a good thing. http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/14394934.htm. To summarize:

Mentions that 33 police chiefs and 2 sheriffs support it.
Says it would allow handgun homicides to be quickly and easily solved.
Quotes GOA's Sam Paredes saying criminals could easily thwart it by filing of firing pin, then later says the bill doesn't stand a chance.
Quotes Todd Lizotte, who developed the technology for NanoVia, who says criminals won't go to that much effort to file down firing pins, and also says that they are "hard as diamonds."
Quotes Koretz as saying the technology is fool-proof and will pull the bill if it is proven it isn't. :rolleyes:
The only additional cost mentioned is 50-75 cents per gun [no discussion of ammo]
Closes with Griffin Dix, head of the Million Mom March in CA, saying that if an ID number can be put on yogurt containers, then they can be placed on guns.

The article was written by Rebecca Rosen Lum (rrosenlum@cctimes.com), 925-977-8506.

The questions I have is, isn't the number one point against this technology the fact that something like 90% of guns used by criminals are stolen?

guns_and_labs
04-21-2006, 10:51 AM
I read the article, and I remember the NRA talking about it last year. I'm having trouble figuring out why it's a problem. Well, other than the fact that it's ineffective and an expense nuisance, and Maryland never did catch anybody with their shell casing registration, and that it's trivial to work around, and that creeps can use revolvers, shell catchers and stolen guns, and that they're probably not admissible as evidence.

OK, now I remember why it was a stupid idea.

Never mind.

mikehaas
04-21-2006, 11:14 AM
http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?summary=ab352.1

Good to know - I'll forward to NRA staff. Thanks, guys.

Mike

TMC
04-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Once again, its technology that may help AFTER someone is dead. These people won't do one thing to allow people to protect themselve BEFORE an innocent person is killed.

mikehaas
04-21-2006, 11:38 AM
The comments section at the bottom of the story is functional, at least right now. I added:

"FIX YOUR GUN you FACE A FELONY. A review of federal law has revealed that this bill (AB352) would make the everyday practice of maintaining and repairing firearms (as outlined in the handgun owners manual) a felony. If a person needed to replace commonly worn out 'micro-stamped' parts to keep their handgun safely operating, that person would be violating Federal law because the alteration, removal and obliteration of a manufacturers or importer's markings on those parts carries the penalty of up to ten years in federal prison and $250,000.00 fine. If you FIX YOUR GUN you FACE A FELONY. Really bad idea."

Their page failed to take several previous attempted comments. They were either too long or blocked because I tried to link to the website. the above was pared down. Can't have too much truth on the CooCoo Times website, y'know? :-)

Actually, have to give them points for taking reader commentary and making it public and attached to their article. Seems few readers support the idea of microstamping. Hope they read 'em.

Mike

mikehaas
04-21-2006, 1:15 PM
Hah! This is great! Their site let me post another one.

"The advocates of AB352 claim that the addition of this requirement in the manufacturing of handguns for California will assist law enforcement by creating additional evidence for solving crimes. In committee hearings the author admitted that the micro-stamped cartridge cases could not even be used for evidence! There is NO SUPPORT from the California law enforcement organizations, That includes the California Police Chiefs Association (Cal Chiefs). The Police Officers Research Association of California (PORAC) opposes AB 352"

Almost makes me want to subscribe again. Almost.

Mike

mow
04-21-2006, 2:16 PM
I am writing a letter to the editor... is there anyway to get a transcript of the commitee hearings where this was noted by the author?

dwtt
04-21-2006, 4:04 PM
It's so obvious to us, why can't these college educated journalists get it? The bill isn't about safety or solving crimes. It's just another step to preventing all handguns from being sold in CA. Next, they would go after revolvers, then single shot handguns. When all handguns are banned by unrealistic and unattainable requirements, the gun ban crowd will go after rifles and they would divide and conquer those also. Then they'll go after shotguns. Then absolutely NO guns will be allowed to be sold in CA. Don't think this won't happen, just look at Britain.

Mike Searson
04-21-2006, 4:15 PM
Closes with Griffin Dix, head of the Million Mom March in CA, saying that if an ID number can be put on yogurt containers, then they can be placed on guns.

They have ID numbers on guns.

It's called a serial number, ****tard!

Inkman
04-21-2006, 4:33 PM
Read it, left my thoughts and can't stand reading some of the other responses from the left. My face is red and i'm getting mad. Time to go read about riding methinks.

Al

Inoxmark
04-21-2006, 4:59 PM
Why are they talking about firing pins all of a sudden? I am pretty sure AB352 was about markings inside the chamber that would be imprinted on the brass when the gun is fired.
If the markings are indeed on the firing pin, I am sure LaSuer can win the bet easily. If it's "hard as diamonds", bring a diamond file. :D

Charliegone
04-21-2006, 5:30 PM
Man, I'm not even going to say anything:rolleyes: Just that the people advocating ab 352 are f****** idiots!:mad:

ldivinag
04-21-2006, 8:01 PM
wait...

hold on...

the article says "gun make and model"...

how easy is that to defeat/fool?

gee... a glock 100 (no such gun) fired this shell casing.

mr csi: "hey there are around 10000000000 glock 100s in kalifornia..."

mr dumb DA: "there are?????"

mr csi: "yes..."

mr defense lawyer: "your honor, at this time, we would like to make a motion to drop all charges against mr legal gun owner of kalifornia..."