PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about selling in CGN Marketplace

six10
07-25-2010, 12:03 AM
I've bought guns from other Calgunners through the Marketplace here and I've got a couple of guns I want to sell. What can I expect from buyers?

I'm a pretty easy buyer myself; I look at the pics in the ad, read the description, ask the seller any questions that aren't addressed in the ad, then I post an "I'll take it" and I DO buy the gun. No "May I shoot it first?" No disassembling the gun when we meet at my FFL.
I pay the seller the amount we agreed upon when I posted "I'll take it" then we do the PPT paperwork (and I hang around to do the DROS) and that's it.

Is this normally how these deals go, or do potential buyers expect to post an "I'll take it" and then have access to the gun prior to meeting for the actual purchase?
Ever had someone flake, or get all the way to the FFL appointment and then wheedle about the already-agreed-upon purchase price?

I'm just trying to get a sense of how much hassle I might be opening myself up for before I list, so please share your selling experiences (good and bad). I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer, too.

I'd also like to hear from buyers. Do you rely upon good pics and an honest description to seal the deal, or do you post an "I'll take it" provisionally?

Thanks Everyone :)

Rob454
07-25-2010, 1:01 AM
Seriously it depends on the person. ive had hassle sales but if they flake I just dont bother with that member again. 95% of the time whoever said Ill take it takes it at my price or agreed upon price. By the time you go to a FFL you shouldn't have any haggling or price drops UNLESS the gun is not as you describe it. My idea of a LNIB is different than some other guys LNIB. But pics are pretty good at giving you a feel for the gun. I also look at the post count and their feed back. While I dont rely on it for the sale it usually gives me a pretty good idea how the sale is gonna go.

Lots of people do not put down negative I traders because they are afraid of retaliation or ban or etc. I personally wouldnt have a problem with a field strip but I prefer not to simply because the person may damage the gun or not put it back together correctly and then say I changed my mind.

I only post a Ill take it if I really really want the item for the most part. In some cases i may want it but not badly enough so I jsut post my interest ask questions about the item. if it sells before I get to it then ah well there will be another one.
I think the buyer absolutely has the right to back out if the item is not as described without incurring any penalty or bad review. Same with the seller, if there is anything weird during the sale or something changes that would give the seller a bad feeling. Somoene offering you a better price is not a reason.

The only time you are gonna really have trouble is when the item is priced high. Other than that there will be lowballers but thats expected. its really a matter of how badly you need to sell vs how badly the buyer wants it.

7.62x54R
07-25-2010, 1:17 AM
PM sent.

Lots of people do not put down negative I traders because they are afraid of retaliation or ban or etc. .

You arent allowed to leave negative Itrader unless you incurred a finacial loss. Thats why there isnt alot Negative fedback ive had my share of flakes and never been able to leave Negative feedback

-hanko
07-25-2010, 4:30 AM
You arent allowed to leave negative Itrader unless you incurred a finacial loss. Thats why there isnt alot Negative fedback ive had my share of flakes and never been able to leave Negative feedback
Which, imo, is a complete crap rule. It allows flakey buyers and sellers to continue their flakiness.

I get better deals as well as ethics on arfcom and the FAL Files.

-hanko

Rob454
07-25-2010, 8:02 AM
PM sent.

How about neutral I trader? You should be able to leave some sort of feedback. I think the only time I backed out of a sale was when I simply had no way to meet the seller and shipping it would be a lot. ive had a few sales and buys that simply did not happen. I was gonna buy this red dot scope just to try out. my offer was accepted, I couldnt meet with the guy till the weekend, he was going out of town said will contact me when he gets back. I waited PMed the seller two times never got a answer back. Im sure it was sold to someone else for more and that was the reason I never got answers to my PMs. i think we are getting a lot of 1 post sellers who come to sell one thing or maybe strictly to unload accessories or guns and thats it. So they are playing the system.

sevensix2x51
07-25-2010, 8:48 AM
95% of my dealings with buyers have been great! even with the tire kickers i have no problems answering questions, thats part of a marketplace.

i just have a problem when (every once in a while) youll get the guy that lowballs you by like $300 for a $700 item, and wants you to ship it to kentucky or indiana or somewhere. arrgh. not a member of our community, just trying to stake advantage of a free sales forum. then the guy who berates you for not shipping the item that you clearly stated you will not ship, because he didnt read your ad..

95% of buyers are great! its totally worth it, dont be nervous.

six10
07-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. Still *thinking* about it...

Rob454
07-25-2010, 11:43 AM
I would just go for it if you are selling something price it appropriately. i would have no problem letting someone test the gun out as long as they paid for the range fee, the ammo, targets and my expense to get there I got no problem. he may end up not liking the gun and I don't see a problem. Like driving a car before purchase. Even if they don't buy it they still laid out the cash to cover the expenses. ive never had anyone ask me to test the gun before purchase. Most people know what they are buying anyway

six10
07-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks, Rob. I can see both sides (sellers wanting to avoid wasting time with lookers, buyers wanting to be sure they're getting a good gun). I'm glad to learn few (if any) potential buyers request hands-on range time with PPT guns. My free time is very limited and I just want things to go smoothly, quickly. We'll see... I'm not in any particular hurry but the info you and others have provided is a big help. :)

doc66
07-25-2010, 4:28 PM
Everyone I have sold to has :

never flaked
come through on the price agreed- prior to meeting at the place for transfer

Just be honest on description and take lots of pics. I have never been asked to try the firearm, but if it were asked, I would have no problem with it.

Communication is key also. (not just posting messages but via telephone too)

Good luck. Calguns folks are great peeps!

sevensix2x51
07-25-2010, 5:23 PM
my phone doesnt work at my house, and even if it did, my tinnitus makes phone calls a chore. i communicate 99% of the time by pm and text, its just easier that way for me. gotta be flexible to a point, but if someone i dont know says "im interested, call me (phone #)," im not going to call. i am pretty busy, and the telephone makes my ear hurt for a loong time. all serious buyers are very agreeable with pm correspondence, and it gives me a paper trail for new members with zero iTrader. cant be too careful these days, but if nobody ever dealt with a zero ranker, there wouldnt be anyone to trade with!

shooting4life
07-26-2010, 9:06 AM
If you are going to sell just make aure to check your pm throughout the day. Nothing worse when you make an offer and something else pops up but to want to make an offer on the new thing because of the previous offer (not having enough money for both).

I have had nothing but great transactions with ppl here oncalguns and other forums. You will get the real low ball offers (like half of your asking price) just say no thanks and move on.

It is a hard time to sell and expect lots of people trying to trade you something RFID what you are selling. If you keep an open mind you can get some nice guns that you never thought about purchasing in the past. Just keep an open mind and stay flexible and you will be gtg

DaveFJ80
07-26-2010, 10:30 AM
I haven't had any problems with selling to other members here. IMO, I'm the one who's more strict on the selling since I'm busy with work and a new baby, so I can only meet up at a certain time and at a certain place. If you can't go with my schedule, then sorry and onto the next person. I haven't had any lowballers since I usually sell my guns for a lot less than others, just to move them (I've said it before, I'm willing to take a small loss just to move it right away, rather than play the waiting game for the next week or more).

but if someone i dont know says "im interested, call me (phone #)," im not going to call.

I also really hate this. To me, I feel that if a buyer wants something that bad from you, then you should call you (the seller) to inquire about it. I've tried being the nice guy in the past, and seriously more than half the time I'll call the buyer up since he asked me to and he will need some help from me reminding him what I was selling... probably because he asked a bunch of people to call him with our offers so he can pick & choose.

If a buyer gives me their number, I'm not going to call them and just tell them "I called and immediately got your voicemail. If you're still intersted, here's my number..." and leave it up to them to take initiative on the purchase. On the flip side, if I'm the buyer, then I'll always ask for a phone number from the seller so I can take the initiative to call them to show that I'm serious about the purchase.

That's just how I feel for those situations.

shooting4life
07-26-2010, 11:24 AM
With the phone number I will usually give it while tying to make a deal. Not ask anyone to call but I think it makes people think I am serious about the purchase

Rekrab
07-26-2010, 12:27 PM
My first rifle purchase was a Mosin M44 on the CGN marketplace. I told the buyer I liked it but I wanted to inspect the gun, with cash in hand, and if I liked it I'd buy it. He had no problem with that so I went out to his house and checked it out. Everything check out so I handed him my cash, but at no time did I say "I'll take it, if I like it."

If someone wanted to shoot a gun I had for sale I wouldn't have an issue with it, provided appropriate age and a decent post count. Same goes for inspecting and even disassembling a firearm. I can't understand why people get so upset by that. I WANT someone to inspect a gun before they buy it from me, if they're not happy with the maintenance it's no skin off my nose. Sure, it's a hassle, but I'd rather have a happy buyer than an unhappy one.

And from a buyer's perspective, a gun is a highly dangerous piece of machinery if improperly cared for or "bubba'ed." If I ever buy another gun on the forums from someone I don't know well, I'll be asking to inspecting it before handing cash over.

Barabas
07-26-2010, 7:59 PM
You can always say no. You don't have to take someone's money or attitude. Just walk away. The good buyers more than make up for the flakes.