PDA

View Full Version : How would I sell an off the roster pistol if buyer is in Norcal and i am in Socal

helixultra
07-24-2010, 11:08 PM
I want to sell an off the roster pistol but the buyer is located in Norcal and I am situated in Socal. Would I just ship it to his FFL? any info will be greatly appreciated

Ed_Hazard
07-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Well yes you could ship it to his FFL, just get a copy of the shops FFL. Personally I would have an FFL sip it in as the hassle of taking it to a UPS hub is just too much for me. However I am not an FFL and I may be wrong. Hopefully other more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

Quiet
07-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Prior to shipping the firearm, don't forget to verify the FFL info.
https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Also, since it is being shipped, the handgun needs to be on the approved list or the buyer needs to be a CA LEO. Otherwise, it will get shipped back to you.

Rob454
07-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Some FFLs may receive a gun from a non FFL but some don't. if his FFL will accept a gun from a non ffl then you are good to go

helixultra
07-24-2010, 11:49 PM
ouch!!! it's a baby desert eagle 9mm!!!!so it's should only be a FTF transaction then except if he is a LEO!

Diesel-Gunner
07-24-2010, 11:55 PM
It ok to do a PPT on a "off the list now" according to the rules, its already in the State and is transfering to a private party.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=81127

Post number 1 about halfway down.

Huh? That’s it?
Yes.

LEOs can buy them. Someone can move into California as a legal owner of one or many handguns not on the Roster and bring them into the state. Any California resident can transfer a non-Roster handgun to another California resident using Private Party Transfer. That has to happen at an FFL dealer, but the Roster does not apply to PPT.

Inherited guns and intra-family (within California only) transfers – which do not use FFLs – are exempt from being on the Roster. Out of state to CA intra-family gifts are also exempt from the Roster, even though they must go through an FFL.

Falling off the Roster does not make handguns illegal and certainly does not make them unsafe in any meaningful usage of the term.

helixultra
07-24-2010, 11:57 PM
But shipping it to a FFL will make the dealer check if it is in the roster or not. So, FTF is just the only option?

Diesel-Gunner
07-25-2010, 12:00 AM
You are shipping it due to distance to travel, the FFL is not buying it, its still a simple PPT. Transfering the 9mm from one party to the other, the FFL is only getting paid for the paperwork.

helixultra
07-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Prior to shipping the firearm, don't forget to verify the FFL info.
https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Also, since it is being shipped, the handgun needs to be on the approved list or the buyer needs to be a CA LEO. Otherwise, it will get shipped back to you.

Mike check this post

Malthusian
07-25-2010, 12:57 AM
ouch!!! it's a baby desert eagle 9mm!!!!so it's should only be a PPT transaction then except if his a LEO!

An off list PPT must be face to face

You cannot ship an off list firearm unless you are selling to an LEO

Well you can ship it, but the FFL will not be able to complete the transfer unless the buyer is an LEO

SJgunguy24
07-25-2010, 1:06 AM
IIRC in order to transfer a non rostered handgun both parties need to be present.
If you ship a non rostered handgun to a FFL they have to log that into their A&D book as inventory. That means it has to be rostered for non LEO purchase.
When you do the PPT, the gun goes from 1 party to the other and the FFL logs it in as a PPT on a DROS hold. Basiclly the FFL has nothing to do with the transaction execpt for the paperwork and 10 day hold.

Quiet
07-25-2010, 1:13 AM
For CA, a PPT is a face to face private party transfer of a firearm between two CA residents facilitated by a CA FFL dealer.

If the firearm is shipped, then it is not a PPT.

The Sauce
07-25-2010, 1:24 AM
I'm in So cal, and I want one of those 9mm Baby Eagles. Interested in a PPT? :D

Ed_Hazard
07-25-2010, 1:37 AM
I'm in So cal, and I want one of those 9mm Baby Eagles. Interested in a PPT? :D

Dirty pool sir.:nono:

J/K I guess what you meant was something along the lines of...

" I'f the deal falls apart...";)

The Sauce
07-25-2010, 1:45 AM
...If the deal falls through, and/or the buyer is not a LEO.

You didn't give me a chance to finish. lol

Schlamoo
07-25-2010, 1:12 PM
For CA, a PPT is a face to face private party transfer of a firearm between two CA residents facilitated by a CA FFL dealer.

If the firearm is shipped, then it is not a PPT.

Your wrong, there is a thing called a split PPT where the seller does his end of the paperwork and ships the gun to the recieving FFL where the PPT paperwork is completed. Now keep in mind the FFLs will charge a fee on both ends to do this plus the cost of shipping the gun. The hard part is finding a FFL who is willing to do this as many either don't know how to do this or don't want to be bothered. This is a legal transaction and I have in fact used this to aquire guns from the other end of the state a few times. But the guns had to be worth the effort and extra expense......

Quiet
07-25-2010, 1:19 PM
Your wrong, there is a thing called a split PPT where the seller does his end of the paperwork and ships the gun to the recieving FFL where the PPT paperwork is completed. Now keep in mind the FFLs will charge a fee on both ends to do this plus the cost of shipping the gun. The hard part is finding a FFL who is willing to do this as many either don't know how to do this or don't want to be bothered. This is a legal transaction and I have in fact used this to aquire guns from the other end of the state a few times. But the guns had to be worth the effort and extra expense......

CA DOJ BOF has been telling CA FFL dealer to stop doing split PPT.

Some FFL dealers posted about it last year.

halifax
07-25-2010, 2:04 PM

So, who gets the $35? PPTs, by law, cannot cost more than $35.

DragRag
07-25-2010, 2:49 PM
Doesn't anyone get tired of all these B.S. rules? What part of shall not be infringed don't these F-ing bureaucrats understand? I beginning to wonder of all these special rules there are now aren't just there to trip up the legal good guys, and make them criminals. It is just getting to hard to understand, and follow all the rules the crazy legislators make up. Without reading on this site, I would have never known all these stupid rules even existed, and would be surely throw in jail.

Malthusian
07-25-2010, 2:58 PM
Doesn't anyone get tired of all these B.S. rules? What part of shall not be infringed don't these F-ing bureaucrats understand? I beginning to wonder of all these special rules there are now aren't just there to trip up the legal good guys, and make them criminals. It is just getting to hard to understand, and follow all the rules the crazy legislators make up. Without reading on this site, I would have never known all these stupid rules even existed, and would be surely throw in jail.

I hear you loud and clear. It has taken me a couple of months to get up to speed myself. The many Calgunners are patient bringing everybody up to speed. I am sure these questions have been asked over and over umpty upteen times.

It is time to get fired up. Write your congressman,senator ( in this case that would be total waste of time ) join CRPA, donate to Calguns. Take friends to the range, show them the good side of firearm ownership.

Most importantly get out and vote these buffoons out of office

DragRag
07-25-2010, 3:41 PM
Most importantly get out and vote these buffoons out of office

I have not missed a chance to vote since I was 18.

shooting4life
07-26-2010, 9:09 AM
You get on the I-5 and start heading north.