PDA

View Full Version : Kern Sheriffs election?

EBWhite
04-21-2006, 2:17 AM
i have been seeing some stickers for kern county sheriffs-
who should i vote for? any news on who is best for ccw's? current is not bad by any means but still not 100% shall issue

eb

tcrpe
04-21-2006, 6:46 AM
i have been seeing some stickers for kern county sheriffs-
who should i vote for? any news on who is best for ccw's? current is not bad by any means but still not 100% shall issue

eb

Steve Perez is 100% shall issue.

JAMES77257
04-21-2006, 7:09 AM
Garza has been in charge of CCW applications for a while now, he is a good choice.

Rob Jones
04-21-2006, 8:45 AM
I met Garza at a dinner a couple of months ago and asked him what his policy would be on CCW issuance should he get elected. His response was that "the status quo is working just fine in Kern; he saw no reason to change it". I take that to mean that we would continue to be as close to 'shall issue' as is possible within state law (CA Penal Code requires that a reason must be provided for a CCW, but Kern is quite liberal with what constitutes a valid reason).

Rob

phobos512
04-21-2006, 6:21 PM
Steve Perez is 100% shall issue.

Excellent!

tenpercentfirearms
04-21-2006, 6:29 PM
Ok, I haven't researched any of the candidates, but I do know one thing. Mack Whimbish changed the old policy of CCW that Carl Sparks had in place. He changed it to where he no longer required city residents to apply to the city and get rejected first before they could lawfully apply to the county. Yes that is right, all of you Bakersfield City residents can go down and apply straight to the KCSD and as long as you have a clean record and a semi-decent reason, you are going to get an unrestricted permit to carry whenever and where ever you want across the whole state. Mack Whimbish did this.

I will say it, I am a single issue voter on sheriff. Mack Whimbish gave the residents of Bakersfield a new choice, a better choice. Really, what does it matter anything else he does? Really how is this sheriff going to change your life? If it isn't broke, why try to fix it?

So if you are going to talk to any of the candidates, ask them specifically, will you continue the issuance of licenses to city residents as permitted by law?