PDA

View Full Version : Went to the range and learned a few things

85FourEyedGT
07-25-2010, 12:00 AM
So I went to the range today with some friends and realized some very interesting things. I had previously only shot 9mm handguns (Sigma, Glock, Sig 226/228), My co worker is good friends with the owner of the store/ range so I basically was able to rent any gun I wanted for free, so I decided to just go for all the 3 rounds that interested me , 9mm, 40sw, 45 acp

first off let me tell you! the difference between a 9mm round , 40 sw and a 45 acp is HUGE! The 9mm looks tiny compared to a .45

I shot a beretta 92, great gun , low recoil , good sights and the grip felt awesome in my hand and i loved the trigger

I shot an xd40, great gun, the grip just isnt me

then i shot a SA GI 1911, i know its the cheaper entry 1911, still a good gun, I had a hard time operating the slide release one handed but im sure i could get used to it, the one thing that is a huge turnoff is the sights,they are among the worst sights ive ever used (which isnt saying much :) ) which makes me hope that the loaded models have better sights

I really couldnt tell a huge difference in recoil between all 3 rounds, guess im just a manly man :cool:

anyways, had a great time and recieved a lot of good insight into what my first handgun should be, leaning towards a beretta 92f or a fnp9(gotta try it out though)

bballwizard05
07-25-2010, 12:04 AM
shoot a 9mm one handed, then jump to .357 that made my 9mm feel inferior lol. I've never shot 44 or .500 but I can only imagine. And I'm with you on the XD grip...

Ed_Hazard
07-25-2010, 12:04 AM
Yeah the GI has rudementry GI sights. The loaded models have much better sights and are mush smoother. Also the slide release is on the smaller side. I tend to slingshot the slide or just depress it w/my offhand when I bring my hand back to a shooting position.

thefinger
07-25-2010, 12:16 AM
If you're a big guy, then you should be able to handle all three of those calibers pretty easily. You can get better sights for the 1911 if you want, and it makes a bog difference--don't judge them on their sights.

The main thing you'll notice is the "feel" of the gun in your hand. The main difference the bad guy will feel is the size/power of the bullet.

Hopefully you can try them all out and find the best balance between what you feel comfortable shooting and what you think is the best choice for defense.

Luckily for me I tend to feel most comfortable shooting guns with double-stack mags. Keep shooting, and figure out what works for you!

85FourEyedGT
07-25-2010, 12:29 AM
If you're a big guy, then you should be able to handle all three of those calibers pretty easily. You can get better sights for the 1911 if you want, and it makes a bog difference--don't judge them on their sights.

The main thing you'll notice is the "feel" of the gun in your hand. The main difference the bad guy will feel is the size/power of the bullet.

Hopefully you can try them all out and find the best balance between what you feel comfortable shooting and what you think is the best choice for defense.

Luckily for me I tend to feel most comfortable shooting guns with double-stack mags. Keep shooting, and figure out what works for you!

yea , i never understood what people meant when they said it would "just fit " in my hand, but when i tried the xd then the beretta i realized it, the beretta just feels good in my hands, my friend brought his 228 with hogue grips which felt awesome, but then again, i already knew that cause sigs rock :)

so yea, all i need to shoot is an fnp9 and I should have a really good idea of what my first gun should be, so far beretta is winning

Uriah02
07-25-2010, 12:31 AM
I got comfortable with the XD, now glocks don't feel comfortable. I wonder if I am the only one or if it weighs down to "either or".

85FourEyedGT
07-25-2010, 12:34 AM
I got comfortable with the XD, now glocks don't feel comfortable. I wonder if I am the only one or if it weighs down to "either or".

I personally didnt like either the glock or the xd handle, xd is a bit better though imo, whats strange is a 1911 looks like it has the most uncomfortable grip every but fits pretty well in the hand

Bill Carson
07-25-2010, 12:35 AM
9mm is for your short pants romance, 40 cal is when you get your big boy pants. 45 cal is when you get a suit and tie cus you are ready for business

85FourEyedGT
07-25-2010, 12:37 AM
9mm is for your short pants romance, 40 cal is when you get your big boy pants. 45 cal is when you get a suit and tie cus you are ready for business

lol! 9mm is really fun to shoot and cheap

but man u can tell when you are shooting 45 because large pieces of the target start dissapearing lol

Dhena81
07-25-2010, 12:48 AM
Try the sig p226, p229, glock 17, 19, S&W MP, USP 9mm, and USP compact 9mm you still have lots of fine handguns to try out man.

85FourEyedGT
07-25-2010, 1:08 AM
Try the sig p226, p229, glock 17, 19, S&W MP, USP 9mm, and USP compact 9mm you still have lots of fine handguns to try out man.

ive tried the sigs already, really like em but they get expensive, tried the glocks, dont really like them, mite try the s&w though im not a fan of how they look , thanks though, i think ill defenitely add the usp 9 to the list of guns to try

kAnJii
07-25-2010, 1:38 AM
Try this...CZ sp-01. Love it. :p

1911Luvr
07-25-2010, 2:19 AM

You're not the only one. Glocks have never felt good in my hand as the grip angle is not right for me and the firearm does not point naturally in my hand. The XD on the other hand has the same grip angle as a 1911 so it points well for me, but in the end I prefer single stacks as my hands are a bit smaller.

85FourEyedGT
07-25-2010, 2:27 AM
sooooo anyone in San Diego area that owns an fnp9 that wouldnt mind taking me shooting :D

or do any of you know a range here in SD that for sure has an fnp9 for rental?

diego-ted
07-25-2010, 9:09 AM
I went yesterday with a buddy, he took his colt 44mag man what a kicker!! I had only been shooting my sig 9. Talking about a wakeup call.

Diego

bogeyshooter
07-25-2010, 9:16 AM
sooooo anyone in San Diego area that owns an fnp9 that wouldnt mind taking me shooting :D

or do any of you know a range here in SD that for sure has an fnp9 for rental?

P2K range in El Cajon has an FN - you can call and check - you'll need a buddy as you can't rent alone (unless you have a gun with you)

OneSevenDeuce
07-25-2010, 9:23 AM
OP, how did you feel about the trigger on the SA GI 1911? It is among the heaviest of any firearm I own.

evidens83
07-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Dont forget to try a M&P9! But since you say you're a manly man then I'd go straight to a 1911 ;)

Legasat
07-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Don't judge all 1911's by the GI, LOL.

The GI is entry level, as basic as they come. Not a bad pistol to build on, but very basic to begin with.

85FourEyedGT
07-25-2010, 10:14 AM
OP, how did you feel about the trigger on the SA GI 1911? It is among the heaviest of any firearm I own.

yea, strange trigger!very heavy but very short and its almost a straight back pull instead of the typical slightly radiused(sp?) pull

i like the 1911 platform but i figured the GI isnt the best gun to judge it by

85FourEyedGT
07-25-2010, 10:16 AM
P2K range in El Cajon has an FN - you can call and check - you'll need a buddy as you can't rent alone (unless you have a gun with you)

awesome thanks a lot, ill call and check

Günter
07-25-2010, 11:33 AM
My tips and opinions regarding…
Ammunition:
9mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP, all are great caliber choices. When choosing calibers, choose the biggest caliber you shoot best accurately with a quick follow up shot and yet be able to afford plenty of ammunition to practice with, rather buying them factory new or by reloading.

In a magazine capacity restricted state like ours, a .45 might be desirable to maximize the amount of firepower within given limit. However .45 ACP is expensive if you do not possess the time/money/knowledge to reload in which the 9mm comes to advantage cost wise. The 9mm is no pea shooter either, those who makes fun of how weak they are never been in the receiving side of the bullet, especially with modern JHPs available. The .40 S&W is great compromise between the two.

Beretta 92 vs 1911 (GI style) Ergonomics:
I agree that the Beretta 92 has an excellent slide release compared to the plain vanilla 1911; however I do prefer the 1911’s frame mounted safety over 92’s slide mounted safety.

The sights on both pistols suck for target shooting, but do note that these are military style defensive service pistols and have snag free combat sights for ease to draw/holster. Triggers for both pistols are in the heavy side for safety reasons. Sights and trigger are not designed for bull’s eye target shooting.

On the FNP-9:
Being a newer design I have little experience and never owned one but I hear great things about them. It has a SIG like controls, USP like construction with a Glock like weight and price. Compared to the Beretta it’s a much lighter gun, which makes it better suitable for carry than the 92. However I do prefer more weight if the gun is used strictly for recreational shooting/home-defense. I personally do not like the FNP’s bright shiny magazines and thin barrel.

85FourEyedGT
07-25-2010, 12:04 PM
9mm seems perfect for me right now ( college student :D ) especially because the winchester LEO talon JHP arent too expensive so i can afford to practice with them every once in a while

l8apex
07-25-2010, 12:08 PM
No matter how well you shoot a .45 or .40 you will always shoot a 9mm faster with more accuracy with better follow up shots. Considering the advancements of ammunition and the statistics that handgun calibers are mediocre one stop shots, the caliber war discussion is moot.

Beretta 92FS is an excellent gun, FNP is fairly new but is equally efficient in the right hands. As far as the 1911 goes, dealing with it in modern times is more of the crisp single action platform rather than the caliber. That's what is getting lost right now as ammunition advances. Some think that 1911 has to always equal .45. I believe the best of both worlds would be a polymer fused 1911 in 9mm or an advancement of the BHP.

Not on the approved list, but this 1911 I'd choose today. 9mm.
http://i28.tinypic.com/11uzx3m.jpg

golfrj
07-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Good on Ya, your going about it the right way, Rent them all and then choose what YOU want.. Don't ever Buy anything that isn't stuck in your mind, life is too Short for Ugly Guns...:)

Gryff
07-25-2010, 12:22 PM
then i shot a SA GI 1911, i know its the cheaper entry 1911, still a good gun, I had a hard time operating the slide release one handed but im sure i could get used to it, the one thing that is a huge turnoff is the sights,they are among the worst sights ive ever used (which isnt saying much :) ) which makes me hope that the loaded models have better sights

Yeah, those are the worst sights imaginable. Just about every Springfield model above that one has much better sights.

I have an SA loaded, and I noticed the same thing about it's slide release. I think it is more of an issue with the finishing on the part rather than a feature endemic to 1911s. I'm going to take my gun about and see if I can polish up the lever a little. I have confidence that this will help.

Fishslayer
07-25-2010, 12:37 PM
After years of qual'ing with old beatup 1911s I got to try the Beretta when the Navy got 'em. The grip was the first thing that impressed me. I have big mitts & the 1911 as issued just never felt "right." The Beretta felt like it was made for me. And the sights...the DA/SA decocker...:cool:

I liked everything about the 9 except the caliber. So when it came time to actually pay for my first handgun it was a DA/SA in .45. Not a Beretta tho. Arizona built.;)

And c'mon. Admit it. The M92/M96 just LOOK so much nicer than all those boxy black ubertacticool "me too" pistols. Swap out those black plastic grip panels for some nice checkered wood and WHOA!:D

Some think that 1911 has to always equal .45. ]

And they're right. It's how God wants it. One of those universal truths.:D

85FourEyedGT
07-25-2010, 12:47 PM
No matter how well you shoot a .45 or .40 you will always shoot a 9mm faster with more accuracy with better follow up shots. Considering the advancements of ammunition and the statistics that handgun calibers are mediocre one stop shots, the caliber war discussion is moot.

Beretta 92FS is an excellent gun, FNP is fairly new but is equally efficient in the right hands. As far as the 1911 goes, dealing with it in modern times is more of the crisp single action platform rather than the caliber. That's what is getting lost right now as ammunition advances. Some think that 1911 has to always equal .45. I believe the best of both worlds would be a polymer fused 1911 in 9mm or an advancement of the BHP.

Not on the approved list, but this 1911 I'd choose today. 9mm.
http://i28.tinypic.com/11uzx3m.jpg

wow that thing is gorgeous! polymer frame?

Good on Ya, your going about it the right way, Rent them all and then choose what YOU want.. Don't ever Buy anything that isn't stuck in your mind, life is too Short for Ugly Guns...:)

absolutely! life is defenitely too short to own a gun that i cant even look at, it may sound childish but the aesthetic plays a huge role in which guns i love, good thing is that the pretty ones (sigs, berettas, HK, revolvers, 1911s etc) also happen to be good shooters

After years of qual'ing with old beatup 1911s I got to try the Beretta when the Navy got 'em. The grip was the first thing that impressed me. I have big mitts & the 1911 as issued just never felt "right." The Beretta felt like it was made for me. And the sights...the DA/SA decocker...:cool:

I liked everything about the 9 except the caliber. So when it came time to actually pay for my first handgun it was a DA/SA in .45. Not a Beretta tho. Arizona built.;)

And c'mon. Admit it. The M92/M96 just LOOK so much nicer than all those boxy black ubertacticool "me too" pistols. Swap out those black plastic grip panels for some nice checkered wood and WHOA!:D

defenitely , the beretta 92 is a looker! feels great in the hands and most non shooters think of a beretta 92 when they think of a standard handgun, not to mention its incredibly smooth and feels very easy to make follow up shots with

Munk
07-25-2010, 9:42 PM
If you like the grip of the Beretta 92 and the power of the .40 cal, then go for a beretta 96. Same frame, diff slide/barrel assembly, fully interchangeable. I just got myself a Beretta 96 brigadier elite. I fell in love with it, and the grip just fits me so nice.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=63196&d=1280119283

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=63195&d=1280119195

LadyShooter
07-25-2010, 10:14 PM
If I had the opportunity (translation=gutz) to try the Kimber my husband now owns, I probably would have chosen that. As it is I chose the Glock 19 as it fit my hand well. The sights were my biggest gripe so I put on night sights. The recoil between the two are essentially the same. The difference is huge when buying ammo, so needless to say my Glock gets quite a few more rounds put through it when out at the range. I have no regrets. And my Glock is clean in half the time his Kimber takes, hahaha.

andalusi
07-25-2010, 10:41 PM
ive tried the sigs already, really like em but they get expensive....

No need to buy a new one. Summit Gun Broker and other online dealers usually stock pre-owned Sigs that are hundreds of dollars cheaper than new ones. Look around hard enough and you might even be able to score a ~$400 P226 or P229 police trade-in with nothing worse than some holster wear.

MAC USMC
07-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Contact Sig Sauer and take a close look at their law enforcement trade-ins. There are some excellent prices there and each gun has been examined, tested, and is under warranty. Some of those available have only had 300 rounds put through them and are actually in better condition than used ones from gun shops or private individuals.

I have a Sig 226 and it's one of my most accurate handguns. It was a turn in gun.

I do own two .45's and prefer them -- one is an Springfield Armory and the other is an HK .45C, which is double-action, but not as accurate overall. If you can handle the recoil I would suggest you buy a really good one not one of the low end pieces. It is difficult to truly appreciate a weapon unless it is a good one that meets your expectations. Cheap guns cannot do that they only irritate you.