PDA

View Full Version : First gun show ever.

matrix
07-24-2010, 9:51 PM
Today I went to codeofthewestgunshows in Vallejo. This is my first time attending any gun show.

I just bought a Mosin Nagant so I was there mainly looking for surplus ammo. Walked by Miwall Cor. and saw a couple of the surplus 440rd spam can.

I Should've had bought them then and there but decided to stroll through all the vendors to check for variety and better pricing.

Turned out no one else had any beside some loose bundle of 20rd. Hurry back just to see someone carrying away the last of the ammo.

While I was there, I saw a nice looking SVT-40. Also an older gentleman came up to a FFL vendor and sold them a brand new Taurus P-22 and Keltec P-11, both for 325. Overall it was fun and I enjoyed it.

bjl333
07-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Glad you had fun !!! It gets somewhat dangerous for me to go, I always spending more then I should !!!

bsg
07-25-2010, 4:51 PM
glad you enjoyed the show. years ago the gun shows often became treasure hunts; even in california.

WWDHD?
07-25-2010, 5:02 PM
I went on Sat. First time at Vallejo. Not bad. About a third the size of Cow Palace, but a much higher percetage of gun stuff. I only saw one table of beef jerky, and no toy RC helicopers.
Got a good deal on some ammo(or what passes for a "deal" now). 1000 rds of Am. Eagle 9mm for $175+tax (yes, the hoarding begins). Saw lots of guns but not really any good prices. Except it seemed to me there were a lot of Taurus pistols for cheap prices.
Overall I'll go again sometime. Way better than the Santa Clara show.

4thHorse
07-25-2010, 5:07 PM
I didn't think this gun show was that good. It reminded me of the last TS gun show in San Jose. The last Vallejo show I went to was better and that was last December. I think a lot of venders were in Reno.

rojocorsa
07-25-2010, 6:27 PM
I was there too. If I had the extra coin, I would have bought a Mosin Sniper that an Asian gentleman was selling. I was mainly there to buy 7.62x54R--which I did. I didn't look at the name of the vendor, but it was this setup being run by a couple of ladies. I got 300 rounds PPU heavy ball 1976 that came in an American ammo can for $100ish.

Since I was there in the afternoon, I wasn't able to find any proper 440 rounds spam cans of Russian stuff. The Privi stuff does look very clean, though, so I'm happy.

JonM
07-26-2010, 1:26 AM
I grab a 1k American Eagle 9mm as well. $175 seemed like a pretty decent price. They sold out of it a couple hours in. I was really torn between picking up the Eagle or 1k of reloads for the even better price of $150; although it is packed loose it comes in a nice plastic ammo can. In the end I decide that the extra $25 was worth it for factory loading and new brass. Of course, now I am dwelling on passing up ammo for .15 a round. Maybe I'll save some change and grab 2k of 9mm for $300 come September. AB962 is rapidly approaching and it is honestly depressing the he'll out of me. I'm going to need at least 100k rounds to lasts the rest of my life, because I swear to God that 9mm will be $40 a box in a couple of years at this rate. Unfortunately I don't quite have a $15,000 ammo budget right now so I might need to consider getting a reloading press or a C&R + COE instead.

JonM
07-26-2010, 1:31 AM
Sorry for the poor spelling and grammar in my previous post. My iPhone autocorrects for me without my consent. Also, to the OP, I believe that J&G has spam cans of 54R for about $85. Of course shipping is a factor but it beats a buck a round at Big 5.

gef
07-26-2010, 11:31 AM
I was there on Sat. It was a good show, not so crowded that you could't walk around with out hitting someone and the ammo sellers weren't knee deep in people. Plenty of bullet, powder and primers.

matrix
07-26-2010, 6:20 PM
I live in Oakland and my understanding is that online places won't sell ammo to certain city including Oakland.

doctor_vals
07-26-2010, 11:19 PM
I didn't think this gun show was that good. It reminded me of the last TS gun show in San Jose. The last Vallejo show I went to was better and that was last December. I think a lot of venders were in Reno.

When I visit Reno last weekend, I found out that they have Crossroads of the West Gun Show.
When I went to that Convention Center - I found that it is at least two time smaller than Cow palace show.

I was looking for some spare parts for Mauser C-96.
I saw one guy with Israeli Bul G-Cherokee (third generation) gun in full frame and compact. Nice gun at decent price, but not for Americans who live in Cali.

InFamous20
07-27-2010, 12:00 AM
When I visit Reno last weekend, I found out that they have Crossroads of the West Gun Show.
When I went to that Convention Center - I found that it is at least two time smaller than Cow palace show.

I was looking for some spare parts for Mauser C-96.
I saw one guy with Israeli Bul G-Cherokee (third generation) gun in full frame and compact. Nice gun at decent price, but not for Americans who live in Cali.

Crossroads will be hosting this weekend in Ontario correct?
I might decide to head up there and look for some ammo.

shooting4life
07-27-2010, 10:16 AM
I find a successful trip to the gun show means I have had a least 6 free samples of beef jerky. Anything less than that and I am disappointed.