PDA

View Full Version : Optics Planet...

NapaPlinker
07-24-2010, 6:03 PM
So about 5 days ago i ordered a scope, mount, and fore grip for my 15-22. Everything was all good until the next day when i checked my email it said my order was on hold due to the fact that the fore grip was out of stock. So i worte them an email asking when it should be back in stock and i have yet to get a reply. It wouldnt anger me so much but i spent damn near 500$ and would like some answers i also called with no response.

Has anyone ordered from them with similar problems?

mydogsmonkey
07-24-2010, 7:14 PM
yes, i actually just made a thread about that a little while ago, it seems to be the general concensus that they do that often, almost every order from them that i've made it happened. i just cancelled and ordered elsewhere

NapaPlinker
07-24-2010, 7:53 PM
How long do you expect my order to be on hold from, The said it should be in stock anywhere from 5-10 days then 5-10 days for shipping. So im hoping they get the product in soon before i hit the range again.

Omega13device
07-25-2010, 11:32 PM
They don't actually stock anything so they depend on their distributors to have it in stock. Anything I need fast I order somewhere else. If I'm not in a hurry I'll consider ordering it from Optics Planet.

How long it takes depends on the item. Cancel the foregrip from the order and the rest of your stuff will ship.

hp95125
07-25-2010, 11:42 PM
you should get a reply from them soon, they are pretty good about that usually.

I order a LOT of stuff from them, 90% is in stock and ships next day for free. that said, I ordered a scope with a $25 mount from them 6 weeks ago - the scope shipped the next day, the mount was on hold for 6 weeks and just shipped last week.

Make sure they confirm canceling before you order from someone else - I ordered a surefire light, they were out, ordered from someone else and tried to cancel right away to find out if arrived and shipped several hours before (or so they said). ended up with two and had to return one.

shortround1
07-26-2010, 12:31 AM
Did you use paypal? If you did you can make a claim with paypal, they're pretty good at handling stuff like that... it'll light a fire under the sellers a-- and get things rolling or get your $ back. Especially if the vendor is failing to get back to you.

Jon Se
07-26-2010, 2:22 AM
The 5-10 days they quoted you on the email is a generic time frame they issue with every item that's out of stock. When I ordered a set of caps for my Aimpoint I encountered a similar problem, when I called they quoted me a shipping date of more than a month later.

ronas
07-26-2010, 7:17 AM
I have in the past read comments regarding Optics Planet having poor customer service. I have no firsthand knowledge of same.

It may be worthwhile to ask the person you are ordering from whether the item you want to buy is in stock and available for immediate shipping, which to me means no more than 3 days, you know time for them to process order and ship. That seems reasonable.

Get email address from salesperson and confirm order and terms. Make a copy of that email and hold onto it. If the seller does not come thru or has poor customer service in dealing with you just dispute the charge with credit card company and offer to fax them copy of email which outlines terms of sale. You will almost certainly have no trouble with you credit card company.

NapaPlinker
07-26-2010, 6:35 PM
I finally got a hold of them! Scope and mount shipped today, just waiting for my bipod/foregrip to come into stock!

trashman
07-26-2010, 6:42 PM
I've bought a bunch of stuff from them -- never had any issues. They made a mistake under-crediting my account for some stuff I had returned, but they made right on it very, very quickly.

--Neill

diegodog2
07-26-2010, 7:12 PM
Optics planet sucks I will never order from them again ! Their return policy is one of the worst i have seen!:mad::mad::mad::mad::rant:

orangeusa
07-26-2010, 7:13 PM
Yeah, I bought a lot of telescope stuff from them and a rifle scope. No problems. They have a TON of holsters, and I'm not afraid to buy from them.

Reminds me of the 'I hate Turners' threads....

NapaPlinker
07-26-2010, 8:36 PM
A lot of mixed thought i see!

DougJ
07-26-2010, 8:47 PM
I've only used 'em once or twice but they were great on my transactions.

Packy14
07-26-2010, 9:11 PM
So about 5 days ago i ordered a scope, mount, and fore grip for my 15-22. Everything was all good until the next day when i checked my email it said my order was on hold due to the fact that the fore grip was out of stock. So i worte them an email asking when it should be back in stock and i have yet to get a reply. It wouldnt anger me so much but i spent damn near 500$ and would like some answers i also called with no response.

Has anyone ordered from them with similar problems?

slow down there big spender... OP is pretty good..and has great prices..... its interesting to see that this post was basically nonsense as your items shipped other than the out of stock item... lil quick on the trigger.

jdewolf
07-26-2010, 9:13 PM
Ordered a Vortex Strikefire from there... 7/9 was the order date. Received it today due to it being out of stock. So roughly about 2 weeks... not thrilled but but it fell within the 5-10 day period quoted [even though it seems to be generic]. In the future I'll probably order from them again.

DavidRSA
07-26-2010, 11:03 PM
This happens to me maybe 50% of the time with opticsplanet. Usually with the free shipping and 5% off coupon, their pricing turns out to be pretty sweet. So I try them first knowing there is a good chance of the "out of stock" email the next day. If not, great. If I get such an email, I just cancel and go on to the next vendor.

orangeusa
07-26-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm kinda wondering if this is since they were one of THE places for optics/telescopes and have transitioned to gun accessories and stumbled to some extent.

I dunno.

darkjedi351
07-26-2010, 11:29 PM
slow down there big spender... OP is pretty good..and has great prices..... its interesting to see that this post was basically nonsense as your items shipped other than the out of stock item... lil quick on the trigger.

yea, i agree. i have had no problems with them. They have very competetive prices.

I'm kinda wondering if this is since they were one of THE places for optics/telescopes and have transitioned to gun accessories and stumbled to some extent.

I dunno.

No stumbling. the op just jumped the gun. optics planet is a great place for all gun related accessories.

glockwise2000
07-26-2010, 11:55 PM
just make sure to call their CS to check inventory on hand. never had a problem with them before.

NapaPlinker
07-27-2010, 3:41 PM

My items shipped 5 days after they were ordered and i called/emailed multiple times.

NapaPlinker
07-27-2010, 3:44 PM
yea, i agree. i have had no problems with them. They have very competetive prices.

No stumbling. the op just jumped the gun. optics planet is a great place for all gun related accessories.

Once again no gun jumped, the in stock items should have been at my doorstep today. Instead they were just shipped.

Sundowner
07-27-2010, 9:59 PM
I've ordered from them several times and they have always shipped quickly and given me very good prices/free shipping. Once I ordered the wrong items (my fault) and they had me send them back and credited me with no restocking fees, etc. Good folks and I'll order from them again.

Nookieaki
07-27-2010, 10:06 PM
I've ordered from them numerous times and will continue to do so, they have very competitive prices( free shipping too! )

rabidmonk
07-28-2010, 12:16 AM
I've ordered from them several times in the past as well. Had a few instances where they held an order due to an item not being in stock, but i called them and they were helpful to send what was in stock and sending the rest when it was available. I also had no problems with the one return I had, no restocking fees or anything. This was for a holster I just didn't end up liking.

JETLAG
07-28-2010, 12:42 AM
I always order thought SWFA and I never have problems.

faterikcartman
07-28-2010, 12:27 PM
I think I have an explanation: if you want it cheap, buy it from a dealer who doesn't pay for the overhead of a brick and mortar store OR large inventory. OpticsPlanet may be an example of this.

If you want it NOW, pay more from a vendor who has the overhead of keeping a large inventory.

I have bought from Optics Planet and while it took a couple of weeks, I preferred that to paying more.

YMMV.

NapaPlinker
07-28-2010, 4:19 PM
I agree with all of you guys, they are a great place and price competitively. They just need something next to their products online saying whether its in stock or not. :iggy:

45R
07-28-2010, 5:04 PM
There are a few companies that have lots "in stock" on their webpage but stock anything until you make your order. I learned that the hard way ordering from Optics Planet and SmartGunner. My transaction with Smartgunner was smooth and the owner was in constant communication and even next dayed my order at his expense to make sure I have my gear before a SCT class. Communication with Optics Planet was horrible and they did not know when they would get the parts I needed in stock. I canceled my order with them and bought from someone else.

Buy from stocking vendors and save yourself a headache.

mlaines
07-28-2010, 8:35 PM
Just ordered a scope today and 3 hrs later had a tracking number!! This is my first order with them so we'll see how the rest goes.... Good so far!

NapaPlinker
07-28-2010, 9:35 PM
My scope and mount should be here friday, but i called today and sent an email to them canceling the foregrip.

MrPlink
07-29-2010, 6:56 PM
I ordered an optic from them some months ago. Almost 2 weeks passed and I had nothing from them. Not even an email. I called them up and they told me that the item was discontinued and no longer available.
I chewed them out for a bit for even notifying me. They offered me a higher end model at "dealer cost ." I took the deal, but it almost felt like a bait and switch to me.
I will never deal with them again. If you look for consumer reports online they seem notorious for this.

toby
07-29-2010, 7:08 PM
Never never ever give these Companies your card # or OK the purchase till they check inventory on the spot, in some cases it may require them to do a visual as well if they say they can't ,thank them for their time and good bye! it allway's works for me.....:yes:

swerv512
07-29-2010, 7:40 PM
i've used optics planet several times and they have done nothing wrong by me... i have had some good experiences with Scott over at Liberty Optics. he's a standup guy who supports CGN. Keep his name handy for your next optic purchase...

james03
07-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Optics Planet still owes me some TAG gear from like a month ago :(

RaymondMillbrae
07-29-2010, 11:34 PM
I've shopped with them also.

Nary a problem on my side.

As a matter of fact, I have received some really good deals from them in the past.

In Christ: Raymond

PS: Whenever shopping online (with anyone), always drop them a line to make sure they have inventory on hand. Some places are pretty lousy at keeping inventory updated, and cancelling an order after finding out it is NOT in stock can sometimes be a pain.

damor
08-09-2010, 7:42 AM
Let me tell you about my experience.

First, I'm not a troll. I've followed the forum for a few years and find it a great resource but I'm just not much of a poster on forums.

I've ordered a few items from OpticsPlanet before and had no problems. I was even able to return a Lasermax after using it a couple times. Several months ago I ordered a galco shoulder harness for my 1911 and then received an email stating that they placed a hold on my order after my name popped up on one of the Homeland Security watch lists and that I would need to send them the answers to a large amount of personal info questions in order to release the order. I immediately called and asked why my order for a "holster" came any where near those lists. After speaking to several people no one could give me any answer and all stated there was nothing they could do. They were all dumbfounded and stammering and stuttering when asked questions about this. Needless to say I canceled the order and will not be doing any more business with them.

Paradiddle
08-09-2010, 11:46 AM
I've had nothing but great experiences with them.

Sheldon
08-09-2010, 1:04 PM
I ordered a Lyman 17A front sight for my Remington 513T and got their email about it being on backorder. I will wait a couple weeks and see if they get them in. I'm in no hurry and will see how they handle this.

DOHCtah
08-10-2010, 2:45 AM
it really depends if you get lucky with these guys.. and what you order. In the past, some items shipped out really fast.

My current order, which includes some 5.11 pouches and frankford arsenal reloading trays, has been backordered for over a month. yup.. a MONTH.. just sitting here waiting. I call them once a week, and they say the same "this item should be in stock withing 5 business days" ::rolls eyes::

Wherryj
08-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Did you use paypal? If you did you can make a claim with paypal, they're pretty good at handling stuff like that... it'll light a fire under the sellers a-- and get things rolling or get your $ back. Especially if the vendor is failing to get back to you.

I prefer to NOT use Paypal for exactly this reason. Once you use Paypal , Paypal is your ONLY option for a disagreement with a vendor.

If you use your credit card, you'll have MUCH better options to deal with an issue.

I've never had a issue with Optics Planet. I've ordered three times so far and all orders shipped quickly. What little contact I had with customer service (never had to return) was positive.

Wherryj
08-19-2010, 3:36 PM
I just ordered a Bushnell zoom dot scope from OpticsPlanet and within 12 hours I have a UPS tracking number. I've ordered four times and have had the items on the way within a day, but perhaps I'm just lucky?

hnoppenberger
08-19-2010, 5:47 PM
ive shopped them plenty in the past, cheap prices and free shipping, never been an issue.

jdewolf
10-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Well round #2 with Optics Planet. They had what I ordered and shipped within 24hrs. I was halfway expecting to have to wait a 1-2 weeks. The downside is of course is now I have to wait around the UPS guy :(

FightToTheEnd
10-11-2010, 4:34 PM
OPTICS PLANET STINKS ON TOAST! I MADE TWO ORDERS, ONE FOR $500 AND ANOTHER FOR $250. BOTH WERE PUT ON "HOLD" WHATEVER THAT MEANS. I HAD TO CANCEL BOTH ORDERS.

BOTTOM LINE IS THAT THEIR BUSINESS PRACTICES ARE TERRIBLE. SELLING THINGS YOU DO NOT HAVE IN STOCK WITHOUT TELLING THE CUSTOMER BEFORE THE TRANSACTION IS COMPLETE IS SHADY AT BEST AND REALLY DECEPTIVE. THEY KNOW THAT IF THEY TELL YOU THEY DO NOT HAVE THE ITEM IN STOCK YOU WILL MOST LIKELY CANCEL THE TRANSACTION, SO THEY WAIT AND INFORM YOU BY EMAIL INSTEAD.

AS I WROTE TO THEM "I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM".

BTW THEIR PRICES ARE NOT MUCH BETTER THAN CAN BE OBTAINED BY SHOPPING AROUND A LITTLE MORE. INSTEAD, I PURCHASED THE TWO ITEMS AT VENDORS THAT SUPPORT CALGUNS AND AR15.COM -AND- HAD THE ITEM IN STOCK.

I THINK THEY ARE JUST A MARKETING ORGANIZATION, I WOULD THINK TWICE BEFORE BUYING FROM THEM.

BUY FROM REAL GUN PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT THE SECOND AMMENDMENT AND THE NRA.

freonr22
10-11-2010, 4:41 PM
WHY ARE YOU YELLING?

doodoostain
10-11-2010, 4:47 PM
just make sure to call their CS to check inventory on hand. never had a problem with them before.

this is what i do as well. i pick everything i want and put it in my online cart. then i call in the order with all the product numbers. if something is out of stock, they'll tell me and i can decide whether i want to wait for it or let them upsell me. usually i just tell them i don't want that piece. its sort of a pain in the butt but usually i find their prices worth the extra work.

rumblebee
10-11-2010, 6:41 PM
Caps lock....it's a terrible thing to waste...

OPTICS PLANET STINKS ON TOAST! I MADE TWO ORDERS, ONE FOR $500 AND ANOTHER FOR $250. BOTH WERE PUT ON "HOLD" WHATEVER THAT MEANS. I HAD TO CANCEL BOTH ORDERS.

BOTTOM LINE IS THAT THEIR BUSINESS PRACTICES ARE TERRIBLE. SELLING THINGS YOU DO NOT HAVE IN STOCK WITHOUT TELLING THE CUSTOMER BEFORE THE TRANSACTION IS COMPLETE IS SHADY AT BEST AND REALLY DECEPTIVE. THEY KNOW THAT IF THEY TELL YOU THEY DO NOT HAVE THE ITEM IN STOCK YOU WILL MOST LIKELY CANCEL THE TRANSACTION, SO THEY WAIT AND INFORM YOU BY EMAIL INSTEAD.

AS I WROTE TO THEM "I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM".

BTW THEIR PRICES ARE NOT MUCH BETTER THAN CAN BE OBTAINED BY SHOPPING AROUND A LITTLE MORE. INSTEAD, I PURCHASED THE TWO ITEMS AT VENDORS THAT SUPPORT CALGUNS AND AR15.COM -AND- HAD THE ITEM IN STOCK.

I THINK THEY ARE JUST A MARKETING ORGANIZATION, I WOULD THINK TWICE BEFORE BUYING FROM THEM.

BUY FROM REAL GUN PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT THE SECOND AMMENDMENT AND THE NRA.

socal425
10-12-2010, 4:34 PM
I've placed 3 orders with them so far. Granted I called CS to verify stock on hand. Polite service and free/quick shipping. No complaints here.