PDA

View Full Version : First hunt at Big Horn Canyon Ranch

bearstatearmory.com
07-24-2010, 4:08 PM
I'm wondering what you seasond hunters think of this place. I know it's a little less "hunting" in the sense of tracking animals as far etc...; however, it would be a good opportunity for me to go out at a reasonable cost and have better luck at getting an animal, preferrably a hog. It would also give me the experience of packing out the meat, butchering it, cooking it, etc... What are your thoughts?

CSACANNONEER
07-24-2010, 4:17 PM
Do you want a real hunt or do you just want to shoot someone's pet? OK, it's not quite that bad but, either you want to go HUNTING or, you just want to pay to harvest an animal. It's your call.

Hunting takes luck, skill, practice, luck, experience, luck, knowledge and then some luck. Paying a guide or buying an animal at a canned hunt is not real hunting. Hell, look at the stats. The average deer hunter in Ca. gets less than one deer every ten years. I spent several seasons teaching myself how to deer hunt. I've only hunted on public land. After the first two seasons, every year that I've pulled tags, I've got at least one deer and sometimes two.

So, do you want to be a real hunter or just a guy who goes out and pays to shoot farm raised animals?

toby
07-24-2010, 4:46 PM
If you go here and do this hunt you most likely will regret it befor you get home! go to Tejon on one of their pig hunt's Pig-o-rama $400 $450 ant this as real as it gets. this place is huge and you can go on your own.

aaronraby1
07-24-2010, 4:49 PM
Do you want a real hunt or do you just want to shoot someone's pet? OK, it's not quite that bad but, either you want to go HUNTING or, you just want to pay to harvest an animal. It's your call.

Hunting takes luck, skill, practice, luck, experience, luck, knowledge and then some luck. Paying a guide or buying an animal at a canned hunt is not real hunting. Hell, look at the stats. The average deer hunter in Ca. gets less than one deer every ten years. I spent several seasons teaching myself how to deer hunt. I've only hunted on public land. After the first two seasons, every year that I've pulled tags, I've got at least one deer and sometimes two.

So, do you want to be a real hunter or just a guy who goes out and pays to shoot farm raised animals?

dont forget LUCK! =) (and patience.)

Ironman
07-24-2010, 9:17 PM
Nor even a hunt, just killing livestock.

jawbreaker
07-25-2010, 6:22 AM
If you are willing to spend the money on a hunt at big horn in order to learn how to care for the game after it is shot and gain confidence in killing the game then by all means it will be a good experience for you. Just keep in mind, as stated above the animals at the ranch are not that wild and don't give you the challenge that a true wild pig or goat will give you.
With that said, how much does Big Horn compare with all of those deer ranches that put you in a blind on top of corn annd protien feeders because to me that isn't really hunting either.

CSACANNONEER
07-25-2010, 7:12 AM
If you are willing to spend the money on a hunt at big horn in order to learn how to care for the game

Or, one could do what I did many years ago. Although I had been hunting since I was 12, I had never hunted big game. So, while in college (Cal Poly, SLO), I took a post mortem processing class to gain the confidence and knowledge to prosses my own kills.

bearstatearmory.com
07-25-2010, 7:22 AM
I understand what everybody is saying about the "canned hunt" and "harvesting livestock" but one thing is I don't currently have the ability to walk. I broke my leg 12 weeks ago and haven't walked since, I have a Dr's appointment tomorrow and hopefully the will allow me to start walking then so it's going to be a while for me to have the physical ability to walk up to 5-10 miles with meat on my back. Hell, it's probably going to be a while before I will have the physical ability to walk 2 or 3 miles by myself, this is really killing me because I'm 27 and have always been super athletic until this stupid accident that I had while running. It seems like since hunting at Big Horn Ranch isn't public land and I would have a guide to point me in the right direction and help me with the meat, it would be easier on my body and not put as much physical stress on it until I can get healed up properly. There's another break (my fibula) at the top, not pictured.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/racerngr1/FrontShot.jpg

CSACANNONEER
07-25-2010, 7:40 AM
If you a permanently disabled, you can get a special hunting license from DFG. Some people are LEGALLY allowed to hunt from non moving vehicles. So, it might be possible for you to be able to find a way to hunt real game without having to walk at all.

lewdogg21
07-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Just go do the hunt. You aren't physically able to pack out anything and at this place they will get the pig out for you. You will get some meat out of it and hopefully the hunting bug will catch you. I wouldn't think any less of someone in your circumstances doing this.

chickenfried
07-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Holy crud how'd you do that running?

There's another break (my fibula) at the top, not pictured.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/racerngr1/FrontShot.jpg

toby
07-25-2010, 11:41 AM
WOW good excuse, but Big horn canyon is very steep you basicaly hunt around the rim or down in the canyon, they will however drive you around if needed if not to many people hunting. good luck.

bearstatearmory.com
07-25-2010, 1:06 PM
Holy crud how'd you do that running?

I was running chasing a softball in the outfield, caught up to the ball and put all the weight on my left leg and heard and felt all the bones crack (in 3 places) and went down like a sack of potatoes. Surgeries and ambulance and here I am.

I'm not going to be permanatley disables, hopefully I will start walking tomorrow, but before I can pack out a 200# pig is going to be quite a few (probably 6 months) until I'm back at 100%

makomyday
07-25-2010, 1:39 PM
I did an archery hunt there for a Russian Boar. It took 4 hours of bush wacking just to see one. When I did, it charged me, I pulled my 44 and missed it bad and it ran off in a different direction. Tracked it down for an hour and finally got a good shot with my bow.

I then had to drag it down to the bottom of the canyon. 200+ pounds was not easy at all.

I usually hike for miles while hunting deer on public land, but my feet and legs were killing me due to the terrain of big horn ranch. Toughest hiking I have done in a long time.

Now if you are rifle hunting, it can be pretty easy. Especially if you are looking for an exotic goat or sheep.

Just do it. You will have a blast. This was my first archery kill and loved it. I have hunted for deer for 6+ years, and only shot at one deer. Missed of course.

jawbreaker
07-25-2010, 2:27 PM
If you go and choose not to kill something they only charge you a trespass fee.

Paradiddle
07-26-2010, 12:10 AM
Just go do the hunt. You aren't physically able to pack out anything and at this place they will get the pig out for you. You will get some meat out of it and hopefully the hunting bug will catch you. I wouldn't think any less of someone in your circumstances doing this.

Agreed. Have a good time with it.

Jeff