PDA

View Full Version : locked containers

Glock619
07-24-2010, 4:38 PM
I hope this is not a repeat, but last night I was working with my supervisor and he mentioned that having a locked container in your vehicle is illegal. That this was new at the beginning of the year. We argued for a bit, but he swears by it. Guess the guy at the gun shop told him so when picking up his XD.

Wanted to run this by you guys as you know a lot more than me.

Oh and he thinks 1911 are not good duty guns. Anyone beg to differ?

Librarian
07-24-2010, 5:01 PM
I hope this is not a repeat, but last night I was working with my supervisor and he mentioned that having a locked container in your vehicle is illegal.

(1) Since this is the way we satisfy PC 12026.1 and 12026.2 for carrying handguns concealed without CCW, and for carrying registered 'assault weapons', he can't possibly mean that.

(2) It might be the case that he means having such a container BOLTED TO one's vehicle, which some fear then creates a 'utility compartment', whose use is illegal for 12026.1/.2. That concern is not yet supported by any case law I know of.

I would say, then, what your supervisor has said "turns out not to be the case".

Unit74
07-24-2010, 5:02 PM
That's funny... cuz the law says you HAVE to have the gun in a locked container and the glove box don't count.

Sounds like FUD to me.

He's prolly talking about a concealed compartment that was not OEM and can be used to conceal contraband, i.e. a trip switched compartment or false wall gas tank and so on.

CSACANNONEER
07-24-2010, 5:09 PM
IIRC, federal law requires FFLs who deal in NFA item to have a box bolted into their vehicle.

windrunner
07-24-2010, 5:27 PM
Next time you are at a gun store/range look for a copy of this:
http://www.gunlaws.com/images/PhotoMed/CGOG.jpg

It gets updated frequently with whatever changes occur. This publication will dispel any rumor and conjecture that you constantly hear from all sorts of clowns about this state's gun laws.

I believe most gun stores will give them away. I could be mistaken though. If you had to buy one, they only cost a few bucks.

Munk
07-24-2010, 7:57 PM
why does this feel more like a troll than a legit question?

You'd need a locked container since many SUVs have no trunk, many coups/sedans have a pass-through trunkspace that makes it "technically" NOT a locked container (can be accessed from inside the cab without a key). And the glovebox/center console are already no-go.

Unless somehow they made locked containers illegal so you MUST CCW or UOC/LOC everywhere you go, which would be a hilarious and unlikely legal cock-up.

CSACANNONEER
07-24-2010, 8:04 PM
why does this feel more like a troll than a legit question?

You'd need a locked container since many SUVs have no trunk, many coups/sedans have a pass-through trunkspace that makes it "technically" NOT a locked container (can be accessed from inside the cab without a key). And the glovebox/center console are already no-go.

Unless somehow they made locked containers illegal so you MUST CCW or UOC/LOC everywhere you go, which would be a hilarious and unlikely legal cock-up.

I sort of remember hearing something about a proposed (it could be a law now) law about making it illegal to have some sort of hidden compartment (think drugs, bangers with guns, etc.) in a vehicle. So, I don't think it was a trolling question.

johnthomas
07-24-2010, 8:32 PM
• Any citizen of the United States or legal resident over the age of 18 years who resides or is
temporarily within this state, and who is not prohibited from owning or possessing firearms
pursuant to Penal Code sections 12021 or 12021.1 or section 8100 or 8101 of the Welfare and
Institutions Code, may carry, either openly or concealed, anywhere within his or her place of
business, or on private property owned or lawfully possessed by him or her any pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person. A permit or license to purchase,
own, possess, keep, or carry is not required under these circumstances. (Penal Code 12026.)
• The transportation or carrying of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being
concealed upon the person by any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years
who resides or is temporarily within this state, and is not within the excepted classes
prescribed by Penal Code Sections 12021 or 12021.1 or Welfare and Institutions Code sections
8100 or 8103, provided that the following applies:
- the firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container
in the vehicle other than the utility or glove compartment, and;
- when the firearm is carried by the person to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose, the
firearm must be contained in a locked container while being physically carried. (Penal Code

IrishPirate
07-24-2010, 8:37 PM
a VERY small part of me hopes so because then they would have to issue CCW's like Halloween candy. Good cause would officially be "so i can drive to the range", and there would be no limit to the number of guns you could carry at once.

Glock619
07-24-2010, 9:36 PM
ya thats what i was telling him. I said car manufactures would not allow to make trunks and glove compartments if that was the case. lol. I knew he was full of it.

diego-ted
07-25-2010, 9:17 AM
Any citizen of the United States or legal resident over the age of 18 years who resides or is
temporarily within this state, and who is not prohibited from owning or possessing firearms
pursuant to Penal Code sections 12021 or 12021.1 or section 8100 or 8101 of the Welfare and
Institutions Code, may carry, either openly or concealed, anywhere within his or her place of
business, or on private property owned or lawfully possessed by him or her any pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person. A permit or license to purchase,
own, possess, keep, or carry is not required under these circumstances. (Penal Code 12026.)
The transportation or carrying of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being
concealed upon the person by any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years
who resides or is temporarily within this state, and is not within the excepted classes
prescribed by Penal Code Sections 12021 or 12021.1 or Welfare and Institutions Code sections
8100 or 8103, provided that the following applies:
- the firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container
in the vehicle other than the utility or glove compartment, and;
- when the firearm is carried by the person to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose, the
firearm must be contained in a locked container while being physically carried. (Penal Code

So from my my homt to the trunk and from the trunk to the range 25' my weapons must be in a locked container?

Diego

Diego

Fishslayer
07-25-2010, 12:51 PM
So from my my homt to the trunk and from the trunk to the range 25' my weapons must be in a locked container?

Diego

Diego

Yup. Not a big deal for me. I already transported my handguns in a box. Adding a lock was no big deal.

As I read it that means handguns. Long guns except AW don't need locks?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

UserM4
07-25-2010, 1:06 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't bolt the container to the car, making it part of the vehicle and possibly a 'utility compartment' but you can chain it to something like your seat rail.

Notblake
07-25-2010, 5:18 PM
ask him to cite the PC. you cite the PC where it says that you MUST carry in a locked container, then you tell him to jog-on.

Librarian
07-25-2010, 7:14 PM

DiegoDepends, just a little bit.

If from your home to the trunk means just onto your driveway, nope, no lock needed. And Theseus' case suggests that, in some jurisdictions, locked case would be a good idea onto your driveway, as well.

If you're in a school zone, and you have to take your handgun down to the curb, then YES, you need the locked case.

Similarly, if the range is a typical urban-ish business district set up, YES, you need the locked case.

If it's an outdoor place, where the parking lot and all are on one piece of (private) property, then you follow the rules of the range. If it's PUBLIC property, then almost certainly you need the locked case.

Please do not try to apply logic to CA gun laws. It only makes your head hurt.

paul0660
07-25-2010, 7:25 PM
possibly a 'utility compartment'

The law says "the" utility compartment, not "a" utility compartment. People without an agenda know what that means. The thingie between the seats.