PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1911

Game Time
07-24-2010, 2:35 PM
So I want to get my first 1911 and Turner's is having a grand opening sale in Rancho and they have the Colt 1911 1991A1 Government Model on sale for $699. I looked on gunbroker and this seems to be a good price. My question is it a good gun for a newbie to the 1911?

NapaCountyShooter
07-24-2010, 2:47 PM
Every 1911 I've ever owned has been a Colt and I've loved all of them. However, they've also all been at least 20 to 30 years old. I've heard that they've had some quality control issues since then. I've also heard that the newer models were made on state of the art cnc machines and that most of the quality control problems have been taken care of. I'd go for it, but then, I'm biased.

Colt
07-24-2010, 2:48 PM
Yes. Go get one!

Game Time
07-24-2010, 2:52 PM
Every 1911 I've ever owned has been a Colt and I've loved all of them. However, they've also all been at least 20 to 30 years old. I've heard that they've had some quality control issues since then. I've also heard that the newer models were made on state of the art cnc machines and that most of the quality control problems have been taken care of. I'd go for it, but then, I'm biased.
Thanks.

Yes. Go get one!
Cool. On my way to Turners. :D

HPGunner
07-24-2010, 3:19 PM
They still have any left? It says there are only 25 guns at this price and it's been crazy since yesterday morning.

trashman
07-24-2010, 3:29 PM
That's a great price for that gun. Get one...it's a keeper.

--Neill

Game Time
07-24-2010, 4:55 PM
They still have any left? It says there are only 25 guns at this price and it's been crazy since yesterday morning.

Yeah they still had a few.

Game Time
07-24-2010, 5:00 PM
I ended up going with a Springfield Armory 1911 loaded target. All guns were on sale and the SA had a nice sales price too. Don't know anything about 1911's but the guy at the counter said it had some nice upgraded features that the colt didn't have.

mrlightning559
07-24-2010, 5:02 PM
I just got an xse through trade and it's solid great marking everything I've heard bad with colt 1911s this gun doesn't have isn't as tight as a kimber but i like it alot

subijitsu
07-24-2010, 8:27 PM
You cant go wrong with Colt but the SA is a fine gun as well. Congrats on the purchase!

Do some reading and learn all you can about your new 1911, it is a fascinating firearm with a rich history.

osxgp
07-25-2010, 12:42 AM
I had a Colt Combat Commander that was garbage. Jammed after every shot...no matter what ammo type I fed it. I spent plenty to try and make it work with aftermarket parts and gunsmithing. Nothing helped it work without jamming. I imagine that it was just a lemon, but I'll never buy another Colt again. I chose to go with a Kimber and have never had a problem. Runs flawlessly no matter what I feed into it.

1911Luvr
07-25-2010, 1:12 AM
I ended up going with a Springfield Armory 1911 loaded target. All guns were on sale and the SA had a nice sales price too. Don't know anything about 1911's but the guy at the counter said it had some nice upgraded features that the colt didn't have.

Honestly, you got a MUCH better gun! The only thing I like about the Colt Series 80 model that was on sale, is the name on the slide. Other than that, it is basically like a SA Mil-spec model with nice blueing and a higher price tag. The loaded target is a VERY nice gun with just about everything upgraded over that base model Colt. I damn near bought one of those Colt's myself to use as a project gun, but instead I ended up buying another SA Loaded Combat model because you just get so much more for the money.