PDA

View Full Version : 1911 still gritty after cleaning ...

showerbabies
07-24-2010, 1:52 PM
I did a search and came up negative.

I have a 1911 Kimber CDP, and greased all along the frame and rails with Jardines Extreme. With the spring installed, the slide glides smoothly. With the spring installed, it is gritty from throughout the pull backward.

TIPS? Where is it not lubed? Thanks.

ir0nclash86
07-24-2010, 1:55 PM
probably just needs some breaking in

ojisan
07-24-2010, 2:23 PM
You need a dab of oil on the recoil spring guide rod where the spring cap rides on it.
Sometimes the mouth of the spring cap is a little tight and the recoil spring binds a bit as it compresses into the cap.
Removing the sharp mouth edges, adding a light chamfer inside the mouth, or sometimes even slight belling of the mouth is usefull.

Colt
07-24-2010, 2:56 PM
Don't mess with the pistol if you bought it new. Something is not right, if you're getting spring bind, and that's what this sounds like. If you have another 1911, try the guide rod from that one in the Kimber. See if if still makes the same gritty sound. Or, try another recoil spring.

As per above, make sure there's a little oil on the guide rod, both where the spring rides and on the back, where it contacts the VIS.

Also, feel the guide rod to see if there are any burrs, or anything like that..

If you bought it new, and you continue to get the grittiness, send it back.

Good luck.

showerbabies
07-25-2010, 3:47 PM
Whats a "VIS?"

Well I follow each of the advice yall gave me. IT WORKED! Thanks!

OneSevenDeuce
07-25-2010, 4:00 PM
You need a dab of oil on the recoil spring guide rod where the spring cap rides on it.

This.

Fjold
07-25-2010, 4:12 PM
I did a search and came up negative.

I have a 1911 Kimber CDP, and greased all along the frame and rails with Jardines Extreme. With the spring installed, the slide glides smoothly. With the spring installed, it is gritty from throughout the pull backward.

TIPS? Where is it not lubed? Thanks.

We're assuming that without the recoil spring assembly installed the slide travel is smooth.

Take an oily cloth and wipe down the recoil plug, the length of the spring and the spring guide.

TenKen714
07-25-2010, 4:47 PM
I recently ran into this problem last night when I installed a new recoil spring in my 1911.

It felt "gritty" whenever I racked back the slide. After putting some more lube on the recoil spring and guide, and after racking the slide back about 50 times, it is now smooth!

ojisan
07-25-2010, 4:53 PM
I recently ran into this problem last night when I installed a new recoil spring in my 1911.

There are a lot of junk or out-of-specification springs for sale out there for 1911s.
(I'm not saying yours is junk).
Some are too large on the outside diameter to smoothly fit inside FLGR spring caps or even original type spring caps.
When selecting springs for my 1911, I will take the guide rod and / or spring cap with me to a gun show and hand check the fit before buying.

Colt
07-25-2010, 6:17 PM
Whats a "VIS?"

Well I follow each of the advice yall gave me. IT WORKED! Thanks!

VIS = Vertical Impact Surface. It's the area that looks like a bow tie - on the frame - you see it when the slide is off.

Glad whatever you did worked. Now go shoot that pistol!