PDA

View Full Version : Indian Valley Hog Hunting

ArtP88
07-24-2010, 1:53 PM
I live very close to this area of Lake County and have extensively camped and fished in the area and know it very well. I'm new to hunting though. Anyone interested in doing a hog hunt with me in this area? None of my friends hunt or are interested. I have plenty of gear and a 4x4 truck. I can't promise finding anything, public land can be sparse for pigs.

I'd also be interested in the cache creek area, cow mountain and any others. I have been to these areas but do not know them as well.

zin
07-25-2010, 1:29 PM
PM sent

ArtP88
07-25-2010, 1:50 PM
PM returned.

NotEnoughGuns
07-25-2010, 9:35 PM
Have you ever seen any pigs in these areas you mentioned? I too am looking to get my first piggy but really not sure where to begin. I did take hunter safety last year, I was thinking about maybe trying this place out http://www.pigpointranch.com/index.htm just because I think I would need some help on my first hunt for sure.

ArtP88
07-25-2010, 9:55 PM
You know I've been out there a lot. But I do a lot of target shooting, give off all sorts of smells, have big dog, make fire, and I'm not looking for them, I don't see pigs or deer either. But I've heard of some success there with both.

I want to go out again soon, with nothing but pig on the mind, no dog and stealthy-like and see if the place doesn't present itself differently.

There are plenty of square miles of nothingness. One could camp and be human, then walk or drive to a pre designated hunting area.

Re. pigpoint ranch. I spoke to the guy on the phone (didn't know he had a site) and I thought it was too much money for a one day hunt with no food/lodging at $450. I'm not looking for amenities, but I expect the price to reflect that.

napahunter
07-26-2010, 9:17 AM
Hunted the area many times. My buddy been hunting there for 25 years. Remember that place has very dense cover. I hope you see pigs, but without hunting dogs, I don't think you'll be very successful. I do have my fingers crossed for you though!

pieeater
07-26-2010, 6:37 PM
Ive hunted Lake county since i was a kid. Ive never seen a pig on public land there and have seen very few on private. Its been quite a few years since ive been to Indian Valley though. But it is summer now people are out camping and vacationing, fishing etc. A zone rifle will be open soon plus its so hot if there are any pigs they wont be moving at all. I used to hunt the NF the weekend after A zone closed on til Jan. because nobody will be up there you will pretty much have the forest to yourself.