PDA

View Full Version : Is coverting an XD9 into an XD40 possible?

FireSpitter
07-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Hey guys, I was going to sell my XD9 Tactical to buy an XD40 Tactical but I have seen alot of guns and parts kits here at Calguns that convert firearms from one caliber to another. Most of these kits convert a larger caliber to a smaller one i.e. .40 S&W into 9x19. Is it possible to convert an XD9 into an XD40? The pistols are identical except in caliber. Anyone know if this is possible?
Thanks for your help.

ZombieTactics
07-24-2010, 4:15 PM
It's a snap to use a 40-to-9 conversion barrel to go from .40 to 9mm ... you just need to also use 9mm magazines.

The other way around would require at least replacement of the slide, the barrel and probably the extractor as well as the magazines. It starts to get to the point that you might as well guy a new gun.

SPE
07-24-2010, 9:33 PM
No, the conversion kits go from 40 to 9, but not 9 to 40.

That's one of the reasons why people often go for a .40, since the conversion kit gives them the 9mm option.

elsolo
07-24-2010, 10:11 PM
The breechface width on a 9mm is narrower than the base of a .40 case.

You aren't missing anything by having a 9mm instead of a .40

CGT80
07-24-2010, 10:13 PM
I'll share my experiences with caliber conversions..

You do not have to use 9mm mags in a 40 cal xd, when it has been converted to 9mm. It may be just a bit more reliable to run 9mm mags or bend the feed lips of the 40 cal mags though. I run an xd service model that is now chambered in 9mm and is all tricked out as a limited gun for competition. It is possible to have extraction or limp wristing issues when using 9mm ammo with a 40 caliber breech face, according to some gunsmiths. I have not competed with a factory 9mm, so I can't compare how often they might have issues vs. mine, but so far I am happy with my conversion. If you want a 9mm, then start with a 9mm gun. In my case, I had a 40 cal for 4 years and then decided I wanted to shoot 9mm. I was too cheap to buy a new gun.

My mom just picked up her new xd service 9mm today from its 10 day sentence. I tried to change the slides between our guns. They wouldn't even go completely back to slide lock. I looked at the frames and they have small differences between them. My gun was purchased in 2005 and hers 11 days ago. I can say that I really prefer the bitone model over the all black version. Hers might get hard chromed.

The xd tactical 9mm is preferred over other xds for competition by a number of people, but I really like my service model and don't feel like the shorter length has held me back. My mom chose the service model because it was less nose heavy and she has weak hands.

To the OP, What makes you want to switch to a 40 cal, if you don't mind me asking?

FireSpitter
07-25-2010, 9:59 AM
To CTG80: I do alot of tactical shooting and I use my pistol for home defense so I wanted to trade up for a little more stopping power. The .40 cal is a good balance of performance vs recoil, which is important for my wife who is much smaller than myself. If the pistol was for my use only then I would be searching for a USP chambered in .50 BMG, that would be the ultimate crime deterrent.

To the rest of you: Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. It looks like I will just have to buy another gun, darn!:D

CGT80
07-25-2010, 12:58 PM
I figured it was for self defense.

I shot 40 cal for 4 years but didn't shoot much 45. I picked up a 45 and was surprised at how much less aggressive the recoil was. The 45 had more push, but it wasn't as snappy. I still like the 40 s&w round though. I have not had a chance to fire an xd 45 yet, but I did try a ported glock 45 and thought the recoil was tame.

Have fun shopping for that new gun :)

Lead-Thrower
07-25-2010, 3:50 PM
If the pistol was for my use only then I would be searching for a USP chambered in .50 BMG, that would be the ultimate crime deterrent.

:confused::confused::confused:

I hope that was sarcasm... :p