PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a 1911?

ArmednReady
07-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Hey all. I am looking into buying my first .45 and I am leaning twords the springfield G.I. which as you know is just the basic of all 1911's and is also in my price range. The gun itself is basically a starter 1911 it will be strictly for home defense and the range I am familiar with .45's and im not a glock fan I like the external hammer look and feel not to mention when I hold the 1911 it just feels "right". So if anyone has any experience with the G.I. model I would love to hear your input as to why I should or shouldnt buy this gun. Some people I talk to say its a tank and will last forever and others say its a POS and has a lot of feed problems to be quite honest I really want to get it but I dont want to spend 600+ and be disapointed. Any and all negatives and positives would be greatly appreciated.

sevensix2x51
07-24-2010, 12:41 PM
hell yeah you should buy a 1911!! i would steer clear of the gi, sights are tiny. the milspec is better, but i personally (and i will take a lot of crap for it) prefer a base model kimber (ie custom II) as an entry model 1911 due to a beavertail safety, good carry sights, and some other nice features. i get hammer bite from gi style 1911s so a beavertail s a must for me. you may not have that problem..

ps i DID own a springfield GI. emphasis on the DID own. no longer have it.

AlliedArmory
07-24-2010, 12:47 PM
I agree with the above post. Save about $200 more and get a Kimber Custom II.

I agree 100% on getting a 1911. The best gun ever made.

Synergy
07-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Since your a rookie here I will be nice! :p

Yes you should get a 1911. Take a look at the Rock Island Armory (RIA) tactical model. Better sights, beavertail and hammer than a GI version. I do have both a RIA GI and a Springfield Champion. You will be hard pressed to find someone complain about a RIA 1911. Its a great buy for a first 1911.

ArmednReady
07-24-2010, 12:49 PM
The whole beaver tail and sight issue isnt to much of a problem for me considering I can always buy aftermarket parts for it. I might get a bite or 2 but a little pain never killed any1 lol. But the main issues I have are with the internals....besides the lack of modern sights, hammer, beaver tail etc. Is the gun itself reliable and accurate? I know its not as good at the kimber customs and higher retail springfields but I dont have 1k to spend on a gun the G.I. is right in my price range. So without mentioning other 1911's is the Springfield G.I. a good gun? like I said before I know the beaver tail and sights arent that great. Thats the price I pay for being cheap lol.

Synergy
07-24-2010, 12:54 PM
If you are considering quality of internals. All 3 manufactures use MIM parts for internals. MIM does have the possibility of failing before a forged or machined part. So keep that in mind.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_143_23/ai_56221633/

sevensix2x51
07-24-2010, 12:56 PM
they are functionally sound, yes. if you are on a budget, take a look at the rock island 1911s. in 30 seconds on google, i found the rock island tactical for $80 less than the springfield gi. the difference is that the rock island is made in the philippines, while the springfield is made in brazil. up to you, i think turners usually has both, you can look side by side!

bogeyshooter
07-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Yes!!! Everyone should have a 1911:)

ArmednReady
07-24-2010, 12:59 PM
So without spending to much more what "starter" 1911 would you guys recomend? Like I said before its a gun that im only going to be using at the range and possibly for home defense....which I currently have a ruger sp101 for. But one thing is for sure I want to have the 1911 for the rest of my days and since im only 23 that should be a long time.

only10x
07-24-2010, 1:01 PM
I only have one and dont think I need another, but if I were to do it all over I would buy something like the kimber or another maker with a rail mixing in the classic 1911 a1 design with some modern features. btw, I have an auto ordinance GI model (small sights, lanyard loop mainspring housing and lousy trigger ive since cleaned up)
buy once cry once though i got mine for 300 bux :D

Synergy
07-24-2010, 1:01 PM
So without spending to much more what "starter" 1911 would you guys recomend? Like I said before its a gun that im only going to be using at the range and possibly for home defense....which I currently have a ruger sp101 for. But one thing is for sure I want to have the 1911 for the rest of my days and since im only 23 that should be a long time.

Go with a RIA tactical. You wont be disappointed. It will not let you down. I have over 6000k rounds through my RIA and it has not failed yet.

J-cat
07-24-2010, 1:02 PM
If you are considering quality of internals. All 3 manufactures use MIM parts for internals. MIM does have the possibility of failing before a forged or machined part. So keep that in mind.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_143_23/ai_56221633/

But MIM parts are easily and inexpensively replaced.

Left Coast Conservative
07-24-2010, 1:12 PM
I would second the idea of getting the Springfield Mil-Spec, mostly because of the sights, and I would second the idea of the Kimber Custom II, which is what I purchased.

In terms of feeding issues and 1911 pistols, I would not worry too much about it. My Custom II had some feeding issues at first, and I noticed that the frame to slide fit was very tight when i purchased the gun. But now, after about 500 rounds fired, the frame to slide fit has loosened up, not so that it rattles or anything, but racking the slide has become very silky compared to when it was new.

Feeding issues are also influenced by magazine choice. There are most definitely bad magazine choices for 1911 pistols, especially the $10 gun show specials. Go to 1911.org and do some research on magazines, especially before taking any gun to a gunsmith for repairs. My choice in magazines is the Wilson Combat ETM.

Never attempt to do anything yourself, especially with a Dremel.

Why do I like the 1911? First, my small hand can fit around the grip giving me a solid hold. Double column magazine guns like the Browning HP or Glocks are just fat enough to make me feel as if I don't quite have the gun under control. Second, the grip angle is comfortable, while Glocks and even Ruger Mk II pistols seem a bit steep and a little awkward. Third, the trigger is sweet, and consistent. Travel is short and the break is crisp, although that just might be because I have the Custom II. Fourth, this is a very safe gun design.

Get a 1911. I think everyone should have at least one. It is a classic American gun, a piece of living history, if you will, and it should serve you very well if you take the time to learn how to shoot it.

Speaking of classic American guns, what do I look at now when I am in a gun store? 1911 pistols? Nope. I have a growing yearning for S&W revolvers!

Maybe everyone should have one of those, too!

ren
07-24-2010, 1:43 PM
from what i gather when this question pops up on calguns, is that its not "should i buy" but "why dont you own" a 1911.

Synergy
07-24-2010, 2:58 PM
But MIM parts are easily and inexpensively replaced.

Let me clarify for the OP. Some people worry about MIM parts. I posted that for knowledge since OP asked about internal quality. I have 3 1911's with MIM internals. They all go bang and I trust my life with them. My thoughts are with J-Cat when they break or I feel like doing some custom work, then I can go with forged/machined etc... Just go with what you like visually and in your budget. 1911's are the Lego's of guns. Any and everything can be changed and modified.

ledman
07-24-2010, 3:03 PM
Yes, buy the best you can afford to spend, 1911 is IMO the best pistol out there. It just comes down to what you like and what feels best in your hand. Go to the gun shop and look at them all, and then make a choice, you will be one happy camper.
I hated the M9's that replaced our old Colts while I was in the Corps, but I had no choice in the matter.

Fishslayer
07-24-2010, 3:14 PM

^^^ What HE said...:D

AND a .357 wheelgun. That's another thread...:cool:

Having said that, my .45 bottom feeder is a DA/SA type from those fine folks in Arizona, but a RIA Tactical is on my VERY short list. Just haven't got around to it. RIA has developed a pretty solid rep among owners.

fishhoppa
07-24-2010, 3:21 PM
Dont know what part of CA your at, but here's a recent post in the market place for what your looking for.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=324929

Hey all. I am looking into buying my first .45 and I am leaning twords the springfield G.I. which as you know is just the basic of all 1911's and is also in my price range. The gun itself is basically a starter 1911 it will be strictly for home defense and the range I am familiar with .45's and im not a glock fan I like the external hammer look and feel not to mention when I hold the 1911 it just feels "right". So if anyone has any experience with the G.I. model I would love to hear your input as to why I should or shouldnt buy this gun. Some people I talk to say its a tank and will last forever and others say its a POS and has a lot of feed problems to be quite honest I really want to get it but I dont want to spend 600+ and be disapointed. Any and all negatives and positives would be greatly appreciated.

DaveFJ80
07-24-2010, 3:34 PM
Not sure where the OP is exactly located at, but there's a couple of indoor ranges I go to that has the Springfield GI and Loaded models, as well as the Kimber Custom II that you can rent and shoot.

Me personally, I picked up a new RIA 1911 Tactical since I got it for less than $450 at Turners this morning :)

1 SIG fan
07-24-2010, 3:47 PM
NO you should not buy "A" 1911..... U need atleast 2

Colt
07-24-2010, 3:51 PM
Well, if you're near Rancho Cucamonga you can get a brand new Colt for $699 at the Turners Grand Opening...

ArmednReady
07-24-2010, 4:41 PM
Ok I know this is going to sound stupid but what is MIM internals? Im guessing they are low quality?

WAP
07-24-2010, 4:45 PM
If you buy a stripped model with the thought that you will upgrade later, I would advise against it. It is pretty expensive to add all the stuff you will want, (and trust me on this, you WILL want all that stuff). I have 3 1911s and love every one of them (especially the Kimber) because they are all "fully loaded" and shoot like it. If you buy a "starter" you will have a hard time justifying the considerable expense required to make it into the gun you will want in the end. I know it's hard to do, but I would say keep saving until you can buy something that has the features you will want in the finished gun.
An upgraded starter will (in my opinion) never be the same as say, a Kimber.
Of course, if your choices are less expensive, or nothing, then the RIA or Springfield are good choices.

ArmednReady
07-24-2010, 8:37 PM
For the record I do own a .357 wheel gun I just picked up a ruger sp101 about a month ago and it is awsome.

subijitsu
07-24-2010, 9:04 PM

Yes, buy a 1911, but do a lot of research before you buy. There are a few good 1911 forums out there that have a whole butt ton of info on all the manufacturers. Knowledge is key when making a purchase like this (just like with any firearm). As always, take internet opinions with a grain of salt though. Learn the facts, listen to the opinions, then make your own determination as to what you want/need/can afford, then buy. I dont know how many times I have made a purchase that I regret because I didnt do the research first.

I personally think every American man should own a 1911, know how to strip it all the way down, truly understand how it works, and carry it on a daily basis. It is a fascinating firearm and true work of genius.

Schlamoo
07-24-2010, 9:48 PM
Ok I know this is going to sound stupid but what is MIM internals? Im guessing they are low quality?

MIM = Metal Injection Molded. This is a process where hot metal is poured into a mold and the part is formed. Then the part is cleaned up during manufacturing, put in the gun and sent out. When this technology first came out a few high stress parts were known to break, in particular the hammer and the slide stop. But in the last 15 years the metal "formula" has gotten better and parts are much more durable than they were at first. That said I have owned quite a few guns that had MIM parts in them and never had a part break. On the other hand I did have a tool steel (not MIM) slide stop break on me once. So, stuff happens. Any gun is man made and like most mechanical things parts can fail. Thats the way it is.

Now, lets go back to the original question, should you buy a Springfield GI? Yes but like some others have said it suffers from small factory sights. The good news is they can be changed out pretty easily. There are better/fancier 1911's but generally higher price. I believe someone said you could get a Colt for $699. That would be my choice between the two, but then I like little horseys.......

I'll stay quiet about the Rock islands except to say........:puke::puke::puke:

calishine
07-24-2010, 9:55 PM
I say you go for a milspec Springfield Armory pistol. It has a lifetime warranty backed by awesome customer service. Don't do the GI. Trust me.

It is a gun you can grow with, in the sense that you can have the springfield custom shop do whatever you want. Check out this link. This sounds like good option for you that is seeking to start in the $600 range. Don't worry about MIM, or other particulars at this point. Here's the link:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/custom.php

Go for it. You will love your 1911. You will become obsessed with it actually :)

osxgp
07-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Springfield Armoury is putting too much effort into the XD pistol, that getting a Springfield 1911 is difficult. I chose a Kimber because it was available and the company has an excellent reputation for making a quality 1911 style pistol. I am extremely pleased with my Kimber. It shoots flawlessly. The Kimber Custom II is their basic model and comes with the high ride beavertail grip safety, match barrel, full length guide rod, and a match trigger already installed. Your better off saving a little longer to get something like that because that is usually some of the first items most people want installed after they bought a basic 1911 gun.

dadoody
07-25-2010, 3:14 AM

For value and quality, everyone seems to love the Rock Island Armory 1911s.

I figure that if anyone's going to build a good 1911, it should be the Filipinos as the 1911 was made to kill Filipinos.

In response to problems encountered by American units fighting Moro guerrillas during the Philippine-American War, the then-standard Colt M1892 revolver, in .38 Long Colt, was found to be unsuitable for the rigors of jungle warfare, particularly in terms of stopping power, as the Moros had very high battle morale and frequently used drugs to inhibit the sensation of pain.[3] The U.S. Army briefly reverted to using the M1873 single-action revolver in .45 Colt caliber, which had been standard during the last decades of the 19th century; the heavier bullet was found to be more effective against charging tribesmen.[4] The problems with the .38 Long Colt led to the Army shipping new single action .45 Colt revolvers to the Philippines in 1902. It also prompted the then-Chief of Ordnance, General William Crozier, to authorize further testing for a new service pistol.[4]

Following the 1904 Thompson-LaGarde pistol round effectiveness tests, Colonel John T. Thompson stated that the new pistol "should not be of less than .45 caliber" and would preferably be semi-automatic in operation.[4] This led to the 1906 trials of pistols from six firearms manufacturing companies (namely, Colt, Bergmann, Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken (DWM), Savage Arms Company, Knoble, Webley, and White-Merril).[4]

Of the six designs submitted, three were eliminated early on, leaving only the Savage, Colt, and DWM designs chambered in the new .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) cartridge.[4] These three still had issues that needed correction, but only Colt and Savage resubmitted their designs. There is some debate over the reasons for DWM's withdrawal—some say they felt there was bias and that the DWM design was being used primarily as a "whipping boy" for the Savage and Colt pistols,[5] though this does not fit well with the earlier 1900 purchase of the DWM design over the Colt and Steyr entries. In any case, a series of field tests from 1907 to 1911 were held to decide between the Savage and Colt designs.[4] Both designs were improved between each testing over their initial entries, leading up to the final test before adoption.[4]

Among the areas of success for the Colt was a 6,000 round test at the end of 1910 attended by its designer, John Browning. The Colt gun passed with flying colors, having no malfunctions, while the Savage designs had 37.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/RIA.htm

1911Operator
07-25-2010, 4:08 AM

+100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

OneSevenDeuce
07-25-2010, 9:27 AM
Para GI expert is one to consider. It is within your price range and is an excellent weapon. It has a few more features than the GI 1911. If you want a 1911 for the nostalgia factor but you don't want to pay thousands of dollars for a vintage Colt, or Remington Rand, etc then the SA GI is a good way to go. If this is your first 1911 and you want to use it for paper punching, or HD, I would not recommend the GI.

evidens83
07-25-2010, 9:41 AM
At that price range get a RIA Tactical and be done with it!! And yes! You should get a 1911 :D

J-cat
07-25-2010, 9:58 AM
I suggest you buy the Milspec. It is far better than any investment cast piece of garbage.

HPGunner
07-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Just got back from Turner's in Rancho Cucamonga and they had all their guns on sale and the prices were about 10 to 15% or more off what they had listed in the case. So it's not just the Colt 1991 Govt. which they had 8 left today.

They had a Kimber Stainless II for $816 - which I thought would make a great first 1911. But I decided to DROS a Springfield Armory Loaded Black Stainless Target (PX9152LP) for $967 as my first 1911. I hope I made the right decision.

bombadillo
07-25-2010, 1:03 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/sv1cec/reviews/RIATactical/IMG_1201.jpg

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_876/products_id/411539799

This is an awesome gun for the price tag. People are always thinking that they have to spend twice as much to get something nice, but bang for the buck, I think its every bit as good as a springfield GI with fixed sights.

UserM4
07-25-2010, 1:20 PM
What components of a Kimber is MIM?

Redlinegts
07-25-2010, 1:39 PM
hell yeah you should buy a 1911!! i would steer clear of the gi, sights are tiny. the milspec is better, but i personally (and i will take a lot of crap for it) prefer a base model kimber (ie custom II) as an entry model 1911 due to a beavertail safety, good carry sights, and some other nice features. i get hammer bite from gi style 1911s so a beavertail s a must for me. you may not have that problem..

ps i DID own a springfield GI. emphasis on the DID own. no longer have it.

I did the same thing :)

jdex851
07-25-2010, 1:51 PM
I'm looking at getting my first handgun soon and everyone has me convinced the S.A. 1911 Loaded .45 is the best way to go. I put a few rounds through one and liked it a lot, but I really don't know what else to even consider. All I've compared it too is 2 different .22's and a 9mm beretta.

What else should I think about when buying my first handgun?

gorenut
07-25-2010, 2:01 PM
I'm one of the few here that don't own a 1911. I did however want one when I was trying to decide on my first semi.. but after doing a lot of research, I eventually went with a Sig (at first thought of getting the P220, but ultimately went with P226). Basically it has enough of a 1911 feel and I just see it as a more modern design. I'm not trying to convince you away from 1911, I'll probably eventually get one, but a really nice one some day... but I can atleast share the info while I was doing my research. My first choice was also Springfield. After going on various boards, it seems like Springfields are nice, but they're neither here nor there with their Loaded models and below. You spend a little more money, you can get a Kimber. Rock Islands tends to give you comparable quality of the lower end Springfields, but cheaper. From what I understand, Springfield's customer service is top notch.. so you can always take that into consideration of cost - but I heard the same about Rock Island.

novabrian
07-25-2010, 2:05 PM
Nope don't get a 1911,Get 2!

calishine
07-25-2010, 2:07 PM
I'm looking at getting my first handgun soon and everyone has me convinced the S.A. 1911 Loaded .45 is the best way to go. I put a few rounds through one and liked it a lot, but I really don't know what else to even consider. All I've compared it too is 2 different .22's and a 9mm beretta.

What else should I think about when buying my first handgun?

Get the one you liked the most, and meets its intended purpose the best. Want a plinker, that you can shoot for hours on the cheap? .22LR

Maybe a plinker/home defense weapon? the Beretta or Springfield.

Just buy one, I'm sure it will end up being the first of many!

1911Luvr
07-25-2010, 2:21 PM
Now, lets go back to the original question, should you buy a Springfield GI? Yes but like some others have said it suffers from small factory sights. The good news is they can be changed out pretty easily. There are better/fancier 1911's but generally higher price. I believe someone said you could get a Colt for $699. That would be my choice between the two, but then I like little horseys.......

I'll stay quiet about the Rock islands except to say........:puke::puke::puke:

Btw, the cool little horses are found on Colt Series 70 slides, whereas the series 80s on sale have the itty bitty ones which is a bummer to me personally.

As for the simple answer to the OP's question: YES!

If your budget only accommodates a Springer GI (about $600 give or take), then here is my advice. First, if you never plan on upgrading your gun and want an inexpensive decent shooter, then look at the RIA tactical. It can be can for $450 new at Turner's Rancho until Thursday. It is a decent gun and should do what you need. Springer makes a better gun hands down, but you will get less features than with the RIA.

Second, you could spend some time looking for a used Springfield or other higher end gun as I have seen some nice used Springfield Mil-Spec models for your price range.

Lastly, if you are going to save and spend a little more (around $800) as I ended up doing, I would take a very hard look at a Springfield Loaded model. For under $800 you can get a Loaded Combat model (not the Loaded Target) which will have much more features than the entry level Kimber for the same money- not to mention the SA will have a personally more desirable series 70 style trigger assembly, unlike the Kimber.

Verci0013
07-25-2010, 2:22 PM
NO! DO NOT GET A 1911!

I've had the worst experience with one, my father gave me his Colt Series 80 MKIV and ever since then I have never had a single FTE (Failure to Eject) Or FTF (Failure to Feed). It's always on target and accurate...see what I mean?

This is the only Firearm I have ever owned that beckons me to get another!! Mark my words! You will never ever be content with just ONE 1911!!!

1911Luvr
07-25-2010, 2:49 PM
This is the only Firearm I have ever owned that beckons me to get another!! Mark my words! You will never ever be content with just ONE 1911!!!

Oh how expensively true those words are...

Squashua
07-25-2010, 2:57 PM
ill take a 1911 over any plastic gun!!!!

dadoody
07-25-2010, 3:09 PM
my first handgun was a wheel gun, and I have 2 other wheel guns that I bought after my 1911.

None of my wheel guns compare to the comfort and accuracy that I achieve with the 1911. I can see myself owning another 1911. Sometime soon.

ArmednReady
07-25-2010, 4:08 PM
Some people say the RIA are good but in my opinion its not a 1911 unless its springfield or colt, and I guess kimber but with kimber I would mostly be buying the name I heard quality isnt much better than a colt or springfield your just buying the brand name. Im not going to spend 1k on a gun thats only for range and home defense its not like im a cop looking for a carry gun. I want opinions based on facts not just because you favor 1 brand over another. Of course a kimber is going to work they are as much as a down payment on a car. If I was gonna spend a grand it would be on a car or house payment vs. an overpriced 1911

C.W.M.V.
07-25-2010, 6:31 PM
Some people say the RIA are good but in my opinion its not a 1911 unless its springfield or colt, and I guess kimber but with kimber I would mostly be buying the name I heard quality isnt much better than a colt or springfield your just buying the brand name. Im not going to spend 1k on a gun thats only for range and home defense its not like im a cop looking for a carry gun. I want opinions based on facts not just because you favor 1 brand over another. Of course a kimber is going to work they are as much as a down payment on a car. If I was gonna spend a grand it would be on a car or house payment vs. an overpriced 1911

For the record, there are Colt's and there are copies, including Springfield. That being said I prefer the copies.

It sounds like you've already made your decision, why did you bother to ask?
I have a 70 series, Ive had springers, and Ive shot many kimbers. I shoot my two RIA's more than any of the above, why? Because they are damn good guns, and if you want to talk about bang for the buck better than anything else going in the 1911 market. $/fun ratio is off the charts.
My little RIA officers model has a little over 1000 rounds of JHP and RN through it including my reloads and it has NEVER malfunctioned, something I cannot say for any other 1911 I have owned or shot. I just put the first 100 rounds of WWB through my full size RIA 1911-A1 (with arched MSH thank you very much) and it not only shot without issue but I was getting between 1 and 3 inch groups at 15 yards (farthest I can shoot at my indoor range) free standing unsupported, from a rest position I expect it to do even better at 25 yards.

So if you just want someone to tell you ya, buy the Springfield, go for it. For a first 1911 you should get the GI model. Learn it and love it.

If you want honest opinion from someone who has lived by virtue of the guns he has, and has been shooting for a while Id tell you get a RIA 1911-A1 and learn the ins and outs of a 1911 on it. Everything is interchangeable with colt parts so if you want to customize the sky is the limit.

I could say alot more but whatever. End rant.

sevensix2x51
07-25-2010, 6:46 PM

hmm, i guess ill have to give back my dan wesson.

if youre going to berate us for trying to help you, then maybe ill reserve my advice from now on.

oh, and i would spend $10,000 on a handgun if it was guaranteed to protect my family. ymmv.

C.W.M.V.
07-25-2010, 7:00 PM
hmm, i guess ill have to give back my dan wesson.

Ill take it off your hands...you dont even have to pay me to do it Im such a cool guy.

sevensix2x51
07-25-2010, 7:10 PM
Ill take it off your hands...you dont even have to pay me to do it Im such a cool guy.

oh thanks so much! ill meet you halfway. meet me at that truckstop with the big long fence by it! im leaving now. :D

Colt
07-25-2010, 7:15 PM
Well, I prefer - - - - look at my user name...

Anyway, whatever you get, just get a big safe, because you'll probably end up with more than one 1911.

Good luck.

C.W.M.V.
07-25-2010, 7:16 PM
oh thanks so much! ill meet you halfway. meet me at that truckstop with the big long fence by it! im leaving now. :D

:laugh:

Foriegn power
07-25-2010, 7:17 PM
I started a thread similar to yours, but all I can say is I met another shooter with a Springfield GI and he said he has over 10,000 rounds through his GI with no issues! And he was hitting steel targets at over 25 yds with it!

stormy_clothing
07-25-2010, 7:20 PM
for home defense if your serious about it nothing beats a glock in 45 cal except a revolver, with a light and or laser.

C.W.M.V.
07-25-2010, 7:48 PM
for home defense if your serious about it nothing beats a glock in 45 cal except a revolver, with a light and or laser.

Thread was about 1911's thanks for adding absolutely nothing of value.
And shotguns are better HD weapons than you combat Tupperware.

1911Luvr
07-25-2010, 7:52 PM

Actually, a lot of guns beat a Glock regardless of caliber, if you can't shoot the gun well. I know I would never trust my life to a Glock after putting hundreds of rounds through them- they do not point naturally or shoot accurately for my hand. So, my SA 1911 beats every Glock out there for home defense since that is what I am most accurate with. For that matter, my S&W 686 is also better for home defense since it NEVER has a jam by nature, and I also shoot it much more accurately that any Glock I've fired.

Oh, and if you're serious about home security, get a dog, an alarm, a shotgun and perhaps maybe claymores! ;)

HPGunner
07-25-2010, 7:54 PM

Your preaching to the wrong crowd - especially on a gun board. Many are passionate about their guns and shooting. There are guys (and gals) that are avid collectors of 1911 guns. As you can see the gun market is huge. So you may not slap down $1K for a gun, there are many that will. I'm new to firearms and I've already accumulated five handguns in the last year with a 6th on the way (my first 1911). Like most hobbies - it cost money and you have to know where your spending priorities are. Most folks aren't spending their mortgage payment or car payments on a 1911. If you have the disposable income and your in love with a particular gun - why not spend a grand? I shot a few 1911's and I can understand why people get hooked.

I have to say the 1 gun in 30 days rule helps keeps the household budget in a surplus rather than a deficit.

RedFord150
07-25-2010, 8:10 PM
...If I was gonna spend a grand it would be on a car or house payment vs. an overpriced 1911

This statement works in theory, not in reality.
Guns go up in price every year. The $1K gun you think is expensive now will soon be $2K. You will regret not buying when you had a chance.
I spent $995 on a Dan Wesson PM7 last December. It is now over $1,100.
My Ruger GP100 in Stainless cost $300 back in 1990. Today, it is way over $500.
My first Security Six cost about $190. I could sell it for over $300 today, if I still had it.
Ruger Single Six cost me $150 way back. Is over $300 now.
You can buy the cheapest 1911 today and spend thousands dressing it up. You can also spend $1K to $2K and get a 1911 that is fine out of the box.
I have bought and sold a dozen guns to end up with the ones I really wanted. If I had to do over, I would have bought the better ones in the beginning.
You are 23 now. Amortize the cost of the gun over 60 years. I am betting you make it to 83 or better. A $1,200 gun is only $20 per year at that rate.
Good luck.

Mr. Beretta
07-25-2010, 8:32 PM
Being a hardcore Beretta man I gotta give props to the 1911. Own two of them & won't trade them for the world. Shop around, do your homework and buy one! They're a must have! A true battle tested sidearm. :)

STAGE 2
07-25-2010, 8:56 PM
Some people say the RIA are good but in my opinion its not a 1911 unless its springfield or colt

You're right in more way than one. Here's my two cents. Stick with your original choice. The rock island is cheaper for a reason. It uses a cast frame unlike the springfield which is forged. Don't get a kimber either. They have had their share of problems, and aren't made to kunhausen (original 1911) specs.

Granted the GI model doesn't have any frills, but don't let that scare you away. One, it has everything you need for a range gun or a defense gun. Whoever you're shooting at isn't going to care what sights you have or whether your magwell is beveled. More importantly, the GI is a great base for a build. Many of the uber top custom builders use this gun exclusively as their platform. So, as you grow with the pistol, you'll be able to change the things you want relatively inexpensively, and keep the things you like the same.

alex45auto
07-25-2010, 9:14 PM
Yes on Springfield!!! No on GIs!!! Yes on Loaded!!! Believe me, you'll eventually want all the upgrades. If you're lucky, you'll find one with NM as the first 2 letters on the serial #. That would be one assembled in the US. Out of my 9 1911s, 4 of them are Springfields, 4 Series 70 Colts, and 1 Caspian Arms. Dan Wesson is another great choice. Pay the extra money and get the best you can. It will cost alot more to upgrade!!!

Colt
07-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Don't get a kimber either. They have had their share of problems, and aren't made to kunhausen John Moses Browning (original 1911) specs.

Fixed it...

dadoody
07-26-2010, 1:31 AM
Fixed it...

Kimbers a good gun. Mine is. Never a FTF or FTE. Purists may not like them, but enough people swear by them - I'm one who will. Great gun and very comfortable. Not that expensive really.

ArmednReady
07-26-2010, 1:38 AM
Does the higher ejection port on a standard spinger GI make any difference as far as reliablility goes? or does it just determing where the shell casing goes because I know on the newer 1911's they lowered the ejection port on the slide

ArmednReady
07-26-2010, 1:40 AM
Does the fact that the ejection port is higher up on a GI have anything to do with reliability? Or is it simply taking the empty shell in another direction?

Colt
07-26-2010, 6:54 AM
Plenty of 1911 pistols work just fine without the lowered ejection port.

J-cat
07-26-2010, 8:24 AM
Does the higher ejection port on a standard spinger GI make any difference as far as reliablility goes? or does it just determing where the shell casing goes because I know on the newer 1911's they lowered the ejection port on the slide

It does aid reliability in that there is less of a chance of the case remaining in the slide during cycling. Brass fired in GI-spec pistols tends to be banged-up by the slide.

kellito
07-26-2010, 11:32 AM

so you want opinions based on facts, but won't accept people's opinions (based on their first hand experience) on the RIA? Sounds like your looking for the best bang for the buck 1911, but have no interest in one considered by many to be just that. On top of that, you won't spend more to get more either. So maybe your question should have been something like this: "I have decided I want a SA GI, any reason to change my mind?"

enjoy whatever you buy.

illuminate10
07-26-2010, 12:49 PM
You mean you don't have a 1911? :eek:
That's like saying you love to box but don't own any boxing gloves...:D J/K

A 1911 and a shooter go together like a prayer and an Amen.
I just recently picked up a Colt 1991 stainless and it's......thee gun for me. I think I'm going to throw up my HK soon and pick up another 1911 to replace it.

From alot of reviews from many different people say the RIA Tactical is the way to go. Especially on the lower price range......and that seems the way I'm gonna go too...God willing.

Rekrab
07-26-2010, 12:57 PM
My RIA Tactical is my only 1911 and after shooting a few others I'm still very happy I own it.

There are minor differences between all the 1911s on the market, the RIA just came together exactly the way I wanted it. I would highly recommend them to ANYONE looking for a first 1911. Theres a darn good reason why you almost never see them on the marketplace forums.

eastershawn
07-26-2010, 7:01 PM
yes, get a 1911, i sold my glock 21 to get a 1911. i originally got a glock cause it has a larger capacity, but got a 1911 springfield loaded cause it is the most accurate handgun i have ever shot. the only thing is price some .45 ammo. its not cheap or easy to find now and just wait till feb when you cant mail order anymore.

1911Luvr
07-26-2010, 9:04 PM
yes, get a 1911, i sold my glock 21 to get a 1911. i originally got a glock cause it has a larger capacity, but got a 1911 springfield loaded cause it is the most accurate handgun i have ever shot. the only thing is price some .45 ammo. its not cheap or easy to find now and just wait till feb when you cant mail order anymore.

It's not so painfull if you get it at Walmart. They have Remmington UMC in 250 packs for $84.97 and Winchester in 100 packs for $32.97. Sure it's more expensive than say 9mm, but I think it's a small price to pay for the accuracy of a 1911 and stopping power of a .45.

dadoody
07-27-2010, 2:10 AM

You're going to hear a bunch of opinions one way or the other, but basically, the platform is a good platform. Any problems you might encounter can be easily remedied once you understand the platform and tuning.

You're not going to be disappointed with whatever 1911 you get - even the Rock Island Armory 1911. A lot of Filipino RIA 1911 users will probably outshoot anyone on this thread.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/07/04/10/filipinos-among-world%E2%80%99s-best-shooting

23 Blast
07-27-2010, 8:38 AM
My personal experience with 1911's:

Armscor EFS (.45) - absolute POS. Inside looked like it was machined by a blind monkey.
Colt XSE (.45) - Fantastic! Great gun from the get-go. Very happy with this one.
RIA Government (.38 Super) - kind of meh. Out of the box had a lot of feeding issues that get better when I adjusted the extractor, but trigger is gritty and mildly heavy. I'd give it a B-/C+.
Springfield GI (.45) - Was disappointed by this one. Lots of feeding issues, tiny sights not to my liking, black parkerized finish was ugly. In retrospect should have held out for the MilSpec model, but for some reason was allured by the "just like what the GI's carried!" schtick. Wound up selling it.

sargenv
07-27-2010, 8:51 AM
If it were me, I'd look into getting something in other than 45 acp. You say you are on a budget.. if that's the case I'd see if I could find a 1911 in either 9mm or 38 super. If you are really on a budget and do not reload, the 9 mm would beat all. $12-$15/50 for Factory sure beats $18-25/50 that you will pay for the .45 acp. If you reload, well, components for the 9mm are cheaper than the .45 by at least half. 38 Super brass can be hard to come by, but once you have the brass, it will reload many times and is the same cost as the 9 mm (not the brass, but the bullets, primers, and powder). Likely one reason I do not own anything in 45 acp anymore, components cost too much. In the long run, the gun will be XX dollars.. how much you get to shoot it depends on what ammo costs you.. Cheaper ammo usually means you will get more bang for your dollars.. Something else to consider.

dadoody
07-27-2010, 3:07 PM
If it were me, I'd look into getting something in other than 45 acp. You say you are on a budget.. if that's the case I'd see if I could find a 1911 in either 9mm or 38 super. If you are really on a budget and do not reload, the 9 mm would beat all. $12-$15/50 for Factory sure beats $18-25/50 that you will pay for the .45 acp. If you reload, well, components for the 9mm are cheaper than the .45 by at least half. 38 Super brass can be hard to come by, but once you have the brass, it will reload many times and is the same cost as the 9 mm (not the brass, but the bullets, primers, and powder). Likely one reason I do not own anything in 45 acp anymore, components cost too much. In the long run, the gun will be XX dollars.. how much you get to shoot it depends on what ammo costs you.. Cheaper ammo usually means you will get more bang for your dollars.. Something else to consider.

I pay $29.99/100rnds for Winchester White Box 45acp @ Walmart.

45acp is not that expensive, unless you're a bad shopper - ie. buying ammo from Big5. You can pick up good reloads from Pacoima as well - Surefire Ammo in pacoima is $15 for 50. I've fired hundreds through my Kimber with zero problems. As far as I can tell, they've been as good as factory fresh.

bombadillo
07-27-2010, 3:33 PM
If you're really on a budget, get yourself a ruger MKIII and shoot for a few cents a round. If you're looking for HD, get a .45acp or 9mm.

sker13
07-27-2010, 4:34 PM
so you want opinions based on facts, but won't accept people's opinions (based on their first hand experience) on the RIA? Sounds like your looking for the best bang for the buck 1911, but have no interest in one considered by many to be just that. On top of that, you won't spend more to get more either. So maybe your question should have been something like this: "I have decided I want a SA GI, any reason to change my mind?"

enjoy whatever you buy.

^This, man this thread took a turn to Crapolaville. It's funny when purist blame the glock cause they can't point it. Shooter not the weapon.

beemaze
07-27-2010, 5:49 PM
Yes on Springfield!!! No on GIs!!! Yes on Loaded!!! Believe me, you'll eventually want all the upgrades. If you're lucky, you'll find one with NM as the first 2 letters on the serial #. That would be one assembled in the US. Out of my 9 1911s, 4 of them are Springfields, 4 Series 70 Colts, and 1 Caspian Arms. Dan Wesson is another great choice. Pay the extra money and get the best you can. It will cost alot more to upgrade!!!

I'm going to have to agree with alex45auto. Spend the cash on a good one. If you can afford around a grand or a bit more, it will be worth it. If you can afford between $1500-$2 grand, get a Springfield TRP or Les Baer. If you can afford $2500-$3k and intend to only buy one 1911 for the rest of your life (doubtful, because it's addicting), get a Nighthawk or Springfield Professional, maybe even a Wilson. Will those $2500-$3k 1911's be twice as good as a $1500 1911? Probably not, but they sure as hell are sweet!

I've got a bunch of Colts (mostly Series 70), couple of Springers (Brazil & U.S. Made), Dan Wesson, even Norincos, so I'm speaking purely from experience. And yes, I've got some Glocks and HK's and Sig's and Brownings too. Nothing wrong with those either, but we're talking 1911's here...

eastershawn
07-27-2010, 9:39 PM
It's not so painfull if you get it at Walmart. They have Remmington UMC in 250 packs for $84.97 and Winchester in 100 packs for $32.97. Sure it's more expensive than say 9mm, but I think it's a small price to pay for the accuracy of a 1911 and stopping power of a .45.

the walmart in cerritos never has 45, in fact i was in rancho cucamonga and they didnt have any either. what walmart do you go to? and do they regularly has 45 in stock?

Offthehook
07-28-2010, 8:17 AM
I call walmart Glendora a couple times a week, picked up 7 boxes of 100 then another 200 the next week when I was in.

heavyrecoil
07-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Kind of a segue, but why do you have an "angry" face as part of your header on this thread?

And yes, I agree with pretty much everyone else posting above: go get yourself a 1911. Pronto.

Timbob55
07-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Heck yes! buy the best one you can, but that is should be just fine.

1911Luvr
07-28-2010, 1:22 PM
the walmart in cerritos never has 45, in fact i was in rancho cucamonga and they didnt have any either. what walmart do you go to? and do they regularly has 45 in stock?

Now if I told you which Walmarts I shop I'd have to compete with you! Lol Just kidding, you can see my area in the upper right corner of my post. They don't have it all that regularly, but often enough that I've bought 1750 rounds from them in the last few weeks. Yeah, I'm that guy- but don't worry, I think I have enough for the next few weeks now. Lol

cocorador
07-28-2010, 3:48 PM
Go with a RIA tactical. You wont be disappointed. It will not let you down. I have over 6000k rounds through my RIA and it has not failed yet.

+1. RIA Tacticals are great. You may just need to change the grips to give you a better feel. Also, Arnel at RIA can tune it and you should have no problems with hollowpoints. Plust smooth out your trigger and other things. Or you can just do a complete custom combat for a lot lot less that anything else out there and Arnel does all that as long as you provide the parts.

Just my opinion.

http://i25.tinypic.com/24zer77.jpg

badmonkey
07-28-2010, 4:56 PM

that's a pretty ignorant opinion, especially coming from the one asking US what 1911 he should get.

get a colt then. you can find them in your price range. then you'll have 100% free reign to feel smug next to the owners of "not real" 1911's at the range, and criminals will automatically pass over your house because you own a "Real" 1911.

FWIW, it sounds like the gun you should get based on your budget and your thoughts on spending what it costs to buy a "real" 1911, is a RIA Tactical--but since you're not interested in RIA's, you better hurry up and get that 1991 at Turners Rancho before there are no real 1911's left in the world :rolleyes:

my opinion based on FACT is this:
my RIA GI has 2000 rounds + through it, from CCI blazer brass to reloads to SXT JHP to remington JHP's to WWB to Fiocchi to AE and has never had a FTF/FTE/FTFeed. I paid $399 for it 2 years ago and it's never let me down. The GI sights are a drag, just like they will be on the springfield GI. even before i changed out some of the parts, the gun had a crisp, consistent 4.5lb trigger pull that would make gaston glock green with envy. and the FACT is, my crappy fake imitation 1911 shoots better than I do, and probably will for the rest of my life.

resident-shooter
07-28-2010, 5:35 PM
no, get a hi-point

Rock_Islander
07-28-2010, 6:42 PM

Hey ArmednReady,

You're gonna hear it from a RIA owner, just look at my username... I love Rock Island Armory pistols. Period. But I'm not going to be rude about this...

You said you wanted facts well here they are.. Colt, Springfield Armory, and believe it or not Armscor (the company that manufactures RIA pistols and is basically Rock Island Armory) are the three oldest 1911 manufacturers in the world. So if you buy an RIA, you are buying a true original pistol from one of the oldest most well respected makers of the John Moses Browning designed handgun out there. Kimber, Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Para, Auto-Ordnance, Nighthawk, etc. etc. etc. are all more current day manufacturers of the 1911 and they all make great pistols too.

Another thing to consider is the model of 1911 you are looking for. RIAs' are true remakes of the ORIGINAL 1911, which is the COLT Series 70. It is the version that JMB himself designed, which has no (in my opinion absolutely useless) firing pin safety. RIA 1911s are the loyal recreation of the original semi-auto the world had ever seen! You can still find Colt Series 70s out there, and I believe Springfields are built on the Colt Series 80 design, which was the first ever to be sold that had a firing pin safety for added "assurance" when dropped on the ground, and a round was in the chamber ready to go. But one would have to drop if off the side of a high building to get that firing pin to dent the primer as it usually does in the first place. And an upgraded firing pin spring would prevent any of that even happening at all. That's why I personally like the Series 70 best.

Kimber puts Schwartz Safeties which I heard can be pain the butts, until you've learned how to work around them. Especially if you own an excellent Series 70 designed pistol, then buy a Kimber, you realize that it's a "lawyer part" added to the design to help Kimber stay out of court due to legal issues. Even Springfield puts a useless hex screw at the end of their guide rod at the front end, also a "lawyer part" installed I think to prevent it flying into someones eyes when it's being field stripped, and then them suing Springfield Armory for it.

So if you feel that RIA's are not true 1911s, please think twice before you knock em before you try, buy, or research em.

Rock_Islander
07-28-2010, 6:45 PM
If you don't want an RIA, just go for another maker. But don't say that they're not true or original 1911s. Because they are.

STAGE 2
07-28-2010, 7:35 PM
You said you wanted facts well here they are.. Colt, Springfield Armory, and believe it or not Armscor (the company that manufactures RIA pistols and is basically Rock Island Armory) are the three oldest 1911 manufacturers in the world. So if you buy an RIA, you are buying a true original pistol from one of the oldest most well respected makers of the John Moses Browning designed handgun out there.

Not quite. RIA pistols are made in the phillippines. They also have cast frames and slides. JMB's specs call for a forged frame. Some people won't care, but if you're going to buy a 1911 it should at least have a forged frame and slide

45DAVID1
07-28-2010, 7:47 PM
save some more money and get a kimber, para ordnance or even a sig 1911.

Cyc Wid It
07-28-2010, 7:48 PM
Everybody should have one with the Prancing Pony. On second thought, don't buy any 1911's, more for me!

Grumpyoldretiredcop
07-28-2010, 7:49 PM
Get a 1911, but not an RIA. You get what you pay for - personal experience.

HandCanonShootr
07-28-2010, 7:58 PM
Yes, buy the best you can afford to spend, 1911 is IMO the best pistol out there. It just comes down to what you like and what feels best in your hand. Go to the gun shop and look at them all, and then make a choice, you will be one happy camper.
I hated the M9's that replaced our old Colts while I was in the Corps, but I had no choice in the matter.

It is not should you have a 1911, but which ones. When I was in your same place ($800+ budget) I found a gunshop with at least 50 1911's from Les Baer, many Kimbers & SA, and quite a few other brands. An enjoy able afternoon was spent trying everything between $600 & $1000 I found the external fit & finish to be a bit better on the SAs of the same price. The trigger pulls also felt better as a rule. The SA Parkerized "Loaded" model that I finally picked, has a great trigger, and a bunch of useful upgrades,,,,, that you'll do anyway!

Set yourself a price range, and find a gunshop with a good selection. The shop mentioned above was Martin Rettings in Culver City, they still had a great selection of 1911s last time I went in there.

-Your milage may vary-

Mike B.

1911A1 Government Series'70, S/A Full-size loaded Parkerized,
S/A Champion SS, Novak-Para-Ord P12.45. (and those are just the 1911s!)

kellito
07-28-2010, 8:01 PM
Get a 1911, but not an RIA. You get what you pay for - personal experience.

What was your experience with RIA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KaTooM
07-28-2010, 8:03 PM
I just bought a used Colt Goverment...my first 1911. I just got it out of jail today! I have shot about 200 rounds through it so far. As a noob to the 1911 platform I have no frame of reference for comparison. Here my review for whatever its worth.
Under 1k with the custom work and the upgrades, trigger job, mag well, bever tail, grip serations. All done by James Hoag.
The action feels tight and smooth, trigger is 4ibs very crisp, good roll marks, Sights are big and remind me of my Phython sights, Ambi safety is nice(Lefty)
This gun is on the Ca roster...so it can't be that cool.
Chris
http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/IBM_Carbine/Gun%20Fun/DSCN0567.jpg
http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/IBM_Carbine/Gun%20Fun/DSCN0568.jpg
http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/IBM_Carbine/Gun%20Fun/DSCN0566.jpg

beemaze
07-28-2010, 8:41 PM
If you don't want an RIA, just go for another maker. But don't say that they're not true or original 1911s. Because they are.

They aren't original since they are of the Series 70s design. But they are made using proper specification equipment in the Philippines. Nothing wrong with that of course.

To correct your prior post:

Original JMB designed 1911's are not Series 70's, which were produced starting in 1970. The original 1911 was 1st produced in 1912 by Colt.

SA 1911's use Series 70 design internals, not Series 80.

I've heard alot of good things about the RIA 1911's, no doubt about that. Buy it if that's what you can afford, but if you can afford more, take a serious look at some of the other brands and then at least make an informed decision.

badmonkey
07-29-2010, 9:10 AM
Not quite. RIA pistols are made in the phillippines. They also have cast frames and slides. JMB's specs call for a forged frame. Some people won't care, but if you're going to buy a 1911 it should at least have a forged frame and slide

tell that to STI, who uses Armscor frames for the Spartan?

Got10/22?
07-29-2010, 9:41 AM
No doubt, get a 1911. I too got bit a few months ago. I ended up buying a SA blk/stainless Combat loaded model from a fellow Calgunner and then a BNIB MC Operator. If you can find one here on the Private Firearms threads you can save some $$.

Here's the exact model I bought.

1911Luvr
07-29-2010, 10:49 AM
You got this gun for under $1K? That is one helluva bargain!

The front strap checking, frame relief under trigger housing, front slide serration, and rear serrated Novak sight are also spendy custom features in addition to the ones you've noted. For a 1911 noob you've found yourself a great deal on a great firearm!

Oh wait, my mistake it's used and not worth anything now so since you're a newbie I'll be nice and offer to take it off your hands! Lol :p

I just bought a used Colt Goverment...my first 1911. I just got it out of jail today! I have shot about 200 rounds through it so far. As a noob to the 1911 platform I have no frame of reference for comparison. Here my review for whatever its worth.
Under 1k with the custom work and the upgrades, trigger job, mag well, bever tail, grip serations. All done by James Hoag.
The action feels tight and smooth, trigger is 4ibs very crisp, good roll marks, Sights are big and remind me of my Phython sights, Ambi safety is nice(Lefty)
This gun is on the Ca roster...so it can't be that cool.
Chris
http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/IBM_Carbine/Gun%20Fun/DSCN0567.jpg
http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/IBM_Carbine/Gun%20Fun/DSCN0568.jpg
http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae294/IBM_Carbine/Gun%20Fun/DSCN0566.jpg

STAGE 2
07-29-2010, 4:05 PM
tell that to STI, who uses Armscor frames for the Spartan?

I'll tell it to anyone. Castings, while they can perform well, are a way to cut costs. A forged frame and slide are just going to be better quality.

badmonkey
07-29-2010, 4:38 PM
I'll tell it to anyone. Castings, while they can perform well, are a way to cut costs. A forged frame and slide are just going to be better quality.

I don't dispute that forged items will be inherently stronger, and provide definite advantages--but in the case of these guns, will it make much of a practical difference?

btw, i don't know the answer to that question--it could be that forged 1911's are much better shooters and i'm missing out. if it's not an issue until the frame cracks from the repeated stress, then, in that case, i'll just buy another $450 gun :D

Rock_Islander
07-29-2010, 7:32 PM
Forged frames are always ideal. Hell forged anything is always ideal.

However just as an owner of two RIA pistols, the investment cast process that is used to produce the FRAME is truly of the best type of investment cast out there today. It's real tough. I stripped the hell out of one of my grip screw bushings by trying to overtighten it like I was the incredible hulk. The threading inside the frame was untouched by my mistake, but the grip screw bushing was smooooth-stripped. I managed to get it out with some hand tools and frustration. But I did it.

On the m1911.org forum you can all check out truly extensive posts out there on durability, range reports, etc. on RIAs. I have yet to see a cracked frame.

In fact here's a post where one user, I believe: likely made a bad reload, squibbed a round, and had another live round come from behind and cause a catastrophic failure inside the barrel. One form of a "Kaboom" as we like to call it. The pictures posted on it are only available to members, but if you make a quick username you can see that the CAST frame had been untouched and unharmed by the failure. Only the barrel had ruptured. Even the slide was in tact. And RIA fit and replaced a new barrel for the customer, and he was even a second owner, in which they still honored the lifetime warranty. If you don't want to join up that forum, then you can obviously just read what everyone is discussing there, including the owner of the KB'd gun.
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=71912&highlight=kaboom+rock+island+incident

In my opinion the heat treating process they use is properly done, which ensures that the cast frame is as free of voids, bubbles, and weak spots within the frame.

And the slide is actually "Extruded"... Which isn't cast, but it isn't quite forged. It's a basically squeezing the steel through an extrusion process which tightens the metal together on a molecular level SIMILAR to forging, but not a true forging. It's very durable however. Very. Think Bar-Stock hardness when you think of extruded slides.

So in essence, a properly heat treated, investment cast frame with an extruded slide are what make up RIA pistols. For the money, they are really durable, and I think the only part they really skimp on as far as features go... Is the rather utilitarian Parkerizing finish, and the plain smooth wood grips. Otherwise it's a lot of gun for your buck. Accurate, reliable, durable, backed by lifetime warranty.

Just check out that post on there and see for yourself. Many of us post our problems on there, and Ivan signs on there regularly & exclusively to actually reach out to the few who actually have problems. Great customer service if you ask me. You can go on a forum and have an actual company rep help solve your problems at the tip of your fingertips on a keyboard. I don't think we'll see Dennis Madonia of Kimber reach out to unhappy Kimber customers on some forum...

Just some positive things to think about, when people try to knock RIA pistols.

rromeo
07-29-2010, 7:51 PM
How about a Combat Elite? It's down at a local shop on the used shelf, for the average Springfield GI price.
I understand that some purists hate the series 80s.

C.W.M.V.
07-31-2010, 10:06 PM
As it was explained to me browning high powers actually went to this form of casting with their .40 S&W model because it held up better to the higher pressure round than the traditional forged components.
Again just what Ive been told, would love to hear comments one way or the other.

vintagedude88
07-31-2010, 11:04 PM
I think you should change the title of your post.

Its NOT "Should I Buy a 1911?"

It should be "Should I Buy a Springfield GI?"

I'm not a 1911 fan but if I were to get one as a starter 1911, it would be the Rock Island Armory one.

microstencil
08-01-2010, 8:04 AM
Yes!!! Get 2.