PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever applied for a CCW in Yolo County?

notfred
04-20-2006, 4:27 PM
The County Sheriff's website *looks* like it shouldn't be too hard to get a CCW. They have this page (http://www.yolocountysheriff.com/ccw_permit.htm) showing the requirements. Also, packing.org has the county as a green "almost shall issue" county.

However, the fee for the application is $215, plus a safety course. Before I spend the time and money I'd like to hear from anyone who has actual firsthand experience with this Sheriff's department.

They also mention an "interview" on thier web page, but don't say what that encompasses. I do plan on contacting them before applying, but I'd like to know as much as I can before I talk to them at all.

Also, theonly reason I have for getting a CCW is self-defense. I don't own a business, transport large sums of cash, etc. I jsut want to be able to ride my bike and walk around downtown at night with some means to defend myself.

Thanks for any advice that anyone can offer.

Librarian
04-20-2006, 4:56 PM
ride my bike and walk around downtown at night I hope you don't live within the city limits of Davis - supposed to be like living in the Bay Area counties. Not that Contra Costa is any better...

trinity9
04-20-2006, 7:16 PM
The County Sheriff's website *looks* like it shouldn't be too hard to get a CCW. They have this page (http://www.yolocountysheriff.com/ccw_permit.htm) showing the requirements. Also, packing.org has the county as a green "almost shall issue" county.

However, the fee for the application is $215, plus a safety course. Before I spend the time and money I'd like to hear from anyone who has actual firsthand experience with this Sheriff's department.

They also mention an "interview" on thier web page, but don't say what that encompasses. I do plan on contacting them before applying, but I'd like to know as much as I can before I talk to them at all.

Also, theonly reason I have for getting a CCW is self-defense. I don't own a business, transport large sums of cash, etc. I jsut want to be able to ride my bike and walk around downtown at night with some means to defend myself.

Thanks for any advice that anyone can offer.

You might want to save your money-- there's little or no chance. In their minds you have no "reason" and the current Yolo County Sheriff follows a no issue policy.

Trinity9

notfred
04-20-2006, 7:28 PM
I do live in Davis, but I don't see how that's relevant, since it's the county sheriff issuing (or not issuing) the permit, not the Davis PD.

trinity9 -- If what you say is true, do you have any idea why packing.org thinks it's so easy to get a CCW permit here? Was there a past sheriff that was better about this?

I know this site can't really be held responsible for inaccurate info on anthoer site, I'm just curious if anyone might know why packing.org is wrong.

Rumpled
04-20-2006, 11:17 PM
If you are a resident of a city, you can apply with the city PD or with the Sheriff's Dept.
Oftentimes they have "agreement" to refuse application at one or the other; or to follow the same no issue rules.
Equalccw.com has some real good examples of this in Contra Costa County.

From what I've heard, Davis is NFW and Yolo is darn close.

Librarian
04-21-2006, 4:46 PM
See this thread : http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=30389&highlight=Davis , particularly Avoid living in Davis if you live in Yolo county. The Davis PD prevents the Sheriff from issueing to their townies. Davis is a communist island in an EXTREMELY conservative county. One of the best ways to live in Yolo County is to either live in West Sacramento or Clarksburg right on the county line.

50 Freak
04-22-2006, 12:15 AM
When I lived in Davis, I called the PD and asked what are my chances of getting a CCW. They said pretty much slim to none. But you can definitely apply and send us a check along with the application....:mad: :mad: :mad:

I've often wondered "if Davis is so "safe" why the hell do they need two SWAT teams there???" Is it for the all the FRAT parties when they get too loud??

Jeez, I hate Davis, only good thing about it are the In&Out burger and the Yolo County Sportsman Association shooting range in Woodland.