PDA

View Full Version : Smart people needed to get FFLs/open gun stores

TonyNorCal
04-20-2006, 2:29 PM
Ok,

I know we've all experienced it....horrendous customer service at a gun store by people who know neither guns nor basic gun law. So my post is two part...

1.) What is it about gun dealing that attracts a disproportionate amount of morons? Sorry, buy I don't know how else to say it. Now, like most things in life there are exceptions. We are talking trends here. Irvington Arms is one exception. They are awesome. Good service, know their stuff, fun to hang out there, etc. Gun Exchange also seems to have a great rep from other posts I have read here. However, I think many of you will agree that relative to others businesses the gun endeavor attracts a lot of dealer who are sorely lacking in many areas. I think it's too common to go to a gun store and deal with people who lack basic customer service or interpersonal skills, don't know much about guns (but think they do), spew all sorts of nonsense your way, don't understand basic gun law*, etc.

So anyone have a basic theory as to why the general trend in the gun business seems to be this way?

*re: not knowing gun law...I don't understand for the life of me how someone can be an FFL dealer, work in this occupation day in and out, and not have an understanding of basic California gun law. Now, I am not expecting someone to be as versed and have thought the subject through as carefully and analytically as say a BWiese. However, one would think that if guns are your business you'd have looked at the statutes, keep apprised of what's posted on the DOJ's website, and inform yourself.

---------

Ok, part 2...

Sending out a call for smart people who have rudimentary interpersonal skills (or can fak them for a few hours) to get FFLs.

Thanks

glen avon
04-20-2006, 2:51 PM
I think we are such a small market of cheap ********s that they can't afford good help.

the internet market has only made it worse.

how much would you need an hour to work at a gun shop?

Omega13device
04-20-2006, 2:54 PM
I would guess that being a storefront retail gun dealer is a low-margin business with large capital requirements. Throw on top of that the onerous legal and insurance requirements and this just isn't an attractive business from a financial standpoint. In that kind of business situation you're not likely to find great service because most can't afford it or don't know how to deliver it within their financial constraints.

04-20-2006, 3:38 PM
Too big a can of worms for me to open as it pisses me off and has for years but I agree with you.

I've gotten it down to a science now, I only go to gun shops to actually see/feel the weapon and find out their price to buy it. I research the weapon I'm considering fully through the press & internet beforehand so I don't have to ask questions I know will most likely be answered improperly anyhow.

Before going to a gun shop I know what I'm looking for and know what I'm looking at and if I like the feel and the price, I buy it and move on.

grammaton76
04-20-2006, 3:53 PM
I think that running a gun shop takes ridiculous amounts of your time, and by the end of the day you just don't have the interest or energy to keep up with the law.

Take, for example, Ten Percent. He's new to this, and he's all up on the law. Has a great attitude, etc. But fast-forward about ten years, and this may be enough of a "day job" for him that he won't be keeping up with the latest changes and gaps in the law. He may not be in the mood to pay attention to the guy who comes by in 2016 and tries to tell him that an Uzi is legal to sell now, as long as it has something pink glued to the handle so that it's not psychologically traumatic anymore.

Another issue is generational. Most gun shop owners are older dudes, most of whom have no interest in the internet. The internet is where collaboration like the off-list effort takes place, and future gun dealers are more likely to be "tuned in". The other guys are older, have more skepticism concerning the internet, and for reasons outlined above, just really don't care enough anymore.

That's my take on it.

Scotto
04-20-2006, 4:33 PM
Im guessing that if you had retarded people coming in and asking stupid questions all day long you might start to lose the chipperness. How many times would a couple of young gangbangers looking for "a small handgun - you know one you can hide" before you get mad at the world. Ive heard this exact quote from some homies at my local turners - along with some other jewels.

oh and I used to work at a sporting goods store and we used to get really irritated with all of the people that came in to play with the stuff - I bet this happens allllll daayyyyyy long in a gun store.

D.T. Rouland
04-20-2006, 4:40 PM
I think we are such a small market of cheap ********s that they can't afford good help.

the internet market has only made it worse.

how much would you need an hour to work at a gun shop?

How big is the employee discount?:D

I'd be willing to work in a gun shop for a bit more then min. wage but then that's more so I could learn plus the great environment. On the other hand, I'm not feedin' my car or myself on little-over-min-wage so full time is kinda out of the question.If anyone's got a nice little gunshop that's looking for a part timer though...:D

Ford8N
04-20-2006, 4:40 PM
Too big a can of worms for me to open as it pisses me off and has for years but I agree with you.

I've gotten it down to a science now, I only go to gun shops to actually see/feel the weapon and find out their price to buy it. I research the weapon I'm considering fully through the press & internet beforehand so I don't have to ask questions I know will most likely be answered improperly anyhow.

Before going to a gun shop I know what I'm looking for and know what I'm looking at and if I like the feel and the price, I buy it and move on.

+1

Same here

grammaton76
04-20-2006, 5:16 PM
How many times would a couple of young gangbangers looking for "a small handgun - you know one you can hide" before you get mad at the world. Ive heard this exact quote from some homies at my local turners - along with some other jewels.

Last time I was at Iron Sights, some tatted up homie came in and asked the guy behind the counter, "So, uh, do you guys do background checks?" He didn't stick around for long after being told it was the law, and that he wasn't getting a gun without one.

Employee3
04-20-2006, 6:24 PM
Another thing that I think kills retail is the 10-day wait. I mean if you could cash and carry (with a quickie background, like in other states), I think retail would do better.

At this point though, with pretty much every internet site being able to win on price, you have to wait 10-days anyways - what's another couple if you save some $$$.

Look at every *other* business in retail. Mostly they get the business because of impulse buys and/or ability to take home immediately. I think that is another reason why most retail guns shops don't carry ar-15 stuff. In the whole realm of gun buying, the diy ar-15 guys are a really really small number compared to guys/gals that want a 9mm or .45.

gotgunz
04-21-2006, 11:08 PM
FFL application package arrived from ATF today in the mail coincidentially.

:D

accordingtoome
04-22-2006, 12:36 AM
I think that running a gun shop takes ridiculous amounts of your time, and by the end of the day you just don't have the interest or energy to keep up with the law.

Take, for example, Ten Percent. He's new to this, and he's all up on the law. Has a great attitude, etc. But fast-forward about ten years, and this may be enough of a "day job" for him that he won't be keeping up with the latest changes and gaps in the law. He may not be in the mood to pay attention to the guy who comes by in 2016 and tries to tell him that an Uzi is legal to sell now, as long as it has something pink glued to the handle so that it's not psychologically traumatic anymore.

That's my take on it.

No way Gram, Wes is too smart for that. :D

yaya im trying to get a discount lolzz. :rolleyes:

grammaton76
04-22-2006, 1:32 AM
No way Gram, Wes is too smart for that. :D

yaya im trying to get a discount lolzz. :rolleyes:

Well, we can always hope that Wes will stay his current self. If history repeats itself, Bill will figure out that pastel colors make any gun legal, and Wes will bring in the first crate of neon-colored uzis...