PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Utah CCW rejection.

techenigma
04-20-2006, 11:24 AM
I just received my response back from the Utah BCI about my application for a CCW permit. I was declined the permit because of a petty theft conviction on my record about 4-5 years ago that I had totally forgotten about.
Now supposedly I could appeal the decision but whether or not it would do any good is beyond me.
Frankly the conviction was a long time ago, and to spare to many details I happened to be with a bad person at a bad time, in a store where he happened to be stealing unknowingly and I got a free ride in a police car too. Lets just say there are times you should spring for a lawyer...

So bottom line: Should I pursue my attemtpt to get one, if is it a fruitless endeavor because I will continue to be denied appeals?

Cdog
04-20-2006, 11:30 AM
Mine is takien forever to get back. They have charged my credit card just no word yet? I must have sent it out in January.

glen avon
04-20-2006, 12:08 PM
if it came back to bite you once, it will do it again. do what you can to get it off your record.

theseacow
04-20-2006, 12:16 PM
When did you send in your paperwork?

techenigma
04-20-2006, 2:27 PM
When did you send in your paperwork?

maybe 5-6 weeks ago I think. I just got their response like 2 days ago.

Major Miner II
04-20-2006, 3:07 PM
How do you "forget" you're a convicted criminal?

I just received my response back from the Utah BCI about my application for a CCW permit. I was declined the permit because of a petty theft conviction on my record about 4-5 years ago that I had totally forgotten about.
Now supposedly I could appeal the decision but whether or not it would do any good is beyond me.
Frankly the conviction was a long time ago, and to spare to many details I happened to be with a bad person at a bad time, in a store where he happened to be stealing unknowingly and I got a free ride in a police car too. Lets just say there are times you should spring for a lawyer...

So bottom line: Should I pursue my attemtpt to get one, if is it a fruitless endeavor because I will continue to be denied appeals?

techenigma
04-20-2006, 11:54 PM
How do you "forget" you're a convicted criminal?

quite easily... especially because I didn't actually do anything wrong short of be with a bad person who was unbeknownst to me. Just slipped my mind and I even freaked when I got the denial because I thought someone somewhere had screwed up. I quite literally blanked on the whole darn thing.

Rob Jones
04-21-2006, 7:50 AM
...especially because I didn't actually do anything wrong short of be with a bad person who was unbeknownst to me.

If you didn't do anything wrong, how is it then, that you have a conviction? Bad lawyer? Did you agree to a plea???

Inquiring minds want to know...

Rob

JimAmentler
04-21-2006, 7:55 AM
techenigma,

PM sent.

Cdog
04-21-2006, 1:33 PM
My permit just came in today. Sweet. Thanks Jim. :D

techenigma
04-21-2006, 3:51 PM
remember in my first post when I said there are times you should spring for a lawyer?

Well I knew I had done anything, so I didn't get a lawyer. Imagine my suprise when the over-zealous city attorney charged me along with the actually guilty person. By then I was fairly screwed and pleaded no contest to the charge being young and naive of the legal system.

If you didn't do anything wrong, how is it then, that you have a conviction? Bad lawyer? Did you agree to a plea???

Inquiring minds want to know...

Rob